PDA

View Full Version : Pesky C&R enforcers!

mattooty
22-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Is anyone else sick to death of reading an absolutely top post with some brilliant LEGAL catches only to have them shot down and have the post completely hijacked by "Good citizens?"
For khrists sake blokes, (and lovely ladies if you're reading), if you don't agree with a fish someone has taken then by all means voice your opinion but do it politely and without downgrading their catch.
If you're really so passionate about you're local fish stocks then do something about it. Don't sit on a forum hiding behind a keyboard and flame people for their catches, you aren't teaching them anything, just scaring off new members and putting old reliable knowlegable members into hiding!
Go out and make your voice heard by either voicing your opinions to fisheries or do your own studies to prove just how valuable a fish is, or how rare they are. Take for example the 70cm+ flathead rule, that wouldn't be in place if it hadn't been extensively researched. They found that the larger flathead were top order breeding females, so the law was introduced. But get real guys, a lot of larger fish are PAST their peak breeding stage in life, some are even sterile like in the case of the upper end Barra. A Threadfin salmon, while it may be hard to catch, are not remotely rare in the Brissie river. A good sized Jew is even less heard of yet doesn't have such a following as the Threadies. Why? Because a few people put threadies on a pedestal and judge all others who take them.
Get out there and make a difference if you're such a conservationist.
Change the world, not intimidate people.
for everyones sake, stop flaming a good fisherman who keeps a good catch because he is legally able to do so.
Now I've got that out of me,I'm off to capture some metre plus flatties....:o

Matt

Oh and by the way, I practice catch and release regularly but you will never see me releasing a fish if I want a feed.

mik01
22-04-2008, 02:53 PM
yeah its a shame really.
if its legal then, even if you don't agree, you should really shut up with negative opinions on the topic.
but its typical of a growing epidemic on here to flame others and take cheap shots from behind the keyboard.

Noelm
22-04-2008, 02:58 PM
fully agree, I really don't care of a "Trophy" fish is taken, as long as it is going to be eaten or used for bait or something useful, kind of gets up my Nose when I see Fish dumped at the Ramp for a variety of reasons, too many to clean, did not look after them whatever, if you want it, it is Legal, then so be it, if you are a catch and release person, then so be it, I have done it thousands of times, but I am also not adverse to eating Fish, so I keep my share, and might even give a couple away if I know someone who needs some fresh fish.

Noelm
22-04-2008, 03:00 PM
and as a side note, I do not see much sense in catching a Shark, hanging it up at a contest, then towing it out to sea and dumping it! (and I am guilty of just such practice) but that's a whole new story that will raise the Blood Pressure of a lot of the Game Fishing crew out there.

fish-n-dive
22-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Yep, gotta agree with mattooty here.

This is a fishing forum.........not a "lets go green" forum. Thats not to imply that fishos aren't green.............quite the opposite in fact.

I often wonder why some people are here when there are much better forums to puff themselves up on elsewhere!! ;)

We fish to eat, we fish to relax, we fish with mates for companionship and yes we fish to break records............there is no fault in any of those reasons If you think so change hobby's............8-)

JEWIENEWIE
22-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Well said mate, by the way, that fish in your avtar isnt it a bit big..........;D ;D .
On a serious side, i for one think it is terrible the way that some one gets a fish of a life time, wants to share his joy and excitement with like minded people. They make a post, sit back eagerly awaiting peoples praises and responses only to be bagged about it...............
some times opinions are like a STD disease, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.;)
Jewie

T1
22-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks MATTOOTY! I see this Thread going the same way as every other one that's been started on this topic - 20 pages and nothing achieved...

The C&R crew are like the Greenies - set in their ways and not open to anything outside their own small thought processes - hence the need for them to jump in and contribute - makes them feel like something worthwhile - 'save the fish', save the whales', 'save the turtles'! I have a suggestion, how about they save us some oxygen and breathe elswewhere?

I practice CPR regularly - Catch, Pash & Release... into my Esky!

Take Care T

fish-n-dive
22-04-2008, 03:58 PM

LMAO.........might have to change my signature to that one!!! 8-)

mattooty
22-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Jewienewie, my fish is to big? Isn't yours a breeder? That should have been released!::)

T1- I know i've read a few posts every so often but i feel that we all need a reminder to keep us on our toes instead of flaming members. It is also in ausfishes best interests to keep flaming to a minimum as less members means less advertising dollars.

kind_cir
22-04-2008, 04:11 PM
I fish to catch a feed and don't pratice catch and release on fish over the size limit. With the exception of Bream, and Whiting, which I impose my own size limit of 25cm as I think at 23cm you don't get a decent fillet. Personally I think going out and praticing C&R is a little crule for me. If others wan't to do that, fine I won't hold it against them.
If I did not do, what I do, I would buy fish from the shop.

HIGH and DRY
22-04-2008, 04:18 PM
the way i see it, this is the whole reason we have size and bag limits. If there was a problem with a species being overfished etc. etc, im sure the authorities will step in and do something about it, I spose as they are doing to some extent at the moment. If you are not breaking the law, you should have nothing to be put down about!

We don't have an emotional meltdown because you are throwing perfectly good fish back. If thats what your into, that sweet, but don't bag out another blokes top effort

pete

JEWIENEWIE
22-04-2008, 04:26 PM
errrrrrrrrrrr........................maybe mate but i thought with a head like that, no one would want to breed with that ugly girl, thought i was doing the snapper population a favour. And i dont believe in ethnic cleansing.;D ;)

kingtin
22-04-2008, 05:37 PM
The C&R crew are like the Greenies - set in their ways and not open to anything outside their own small thought processes - hence the need for them to jump in and contribute - makes them feel like something worthwhile - 'save the fish', save the whales', 'save the turtles'! I have a suggestion, how about they save us some oxygen and breathe elswewhere?

I know what you're driving at T, but a "slip of the tongue" can cause mayhem on this topic and has done before.

There are some damn good fishos and some top blokes here, who practice catch and release. They impart knowledge to their fellow fishos and rarely utter a word when someone claims bragging rights. It's only the odd one who tar the rest. They are invariably the ones who post bugger all except when they catch something decent, and then they only post with little knowledge imparted and they seem to post only the "what a good boy am I" message. Let's not get it out of proportion.............they are few and far between but negative messages seem to linger so it seems that there are a lot of them. The vast majority of C&R guys are a credit to this site and the "preachers" are simply a whingeing, spiteful minority.

kev

banshee
22-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks MATTOOTY! I see this Thread going the same way as every other one that's been started on this topic - 20 pages and nothing achieved...

Take Care T

Why wouldn't the thread turn to shit after a comment like that?Seems your doing your best to fire things up,wake up to your self.

CreelReaper
22-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Yep, I see it as an ever increasing problem right across the board in our society today. Doesn't matter if it is fishing or riding the trail bike through the bush or what ever.
There is always going to be someone out there that doesn't agree with what we do. Unfortunately a lot of it stems from misinformation that is readily available and bombarded upon us all too regularly. Even with c & r it can be argued to and fro that the fish experiences the same drama whether kept or not.
Regrettably a lot of people have lost sight in the fact that we live in a democratic, free society where we have choices and most of us choose to catch and eat our own fish. I too have released a lot of keeper fish over the years, it is one reason that I prefer to keep caught fish alive until I am heading for home. One fish in the esky just doesn't feed the family and therefore is released to live and fight another day.
Do these same people complain when the cow or chicken is killed to feed them and their families??? Some people have even claimed that plants have feelings too so there goes our diets....what is there left to eat???? Where does it stop????

jeffo
22-04-2008, 06:20 PM
what bothers me is how much this site has changed over the years....it used to be a whole bunch of great guys and girls (alot of whom dont post here anymore for various reasons) who would talk fishing and hang a bit of sh!t every now and then but all in good fun and it was left at that . These days its usually 99% bitchy ness and 1% quality.

its a sad day when much older blokes are bagging out young up and commers for voicing their opinion about catch and release. These young guys are the future of the sport/hobby we all enjoy so much- and hammering them for believing in catch and release isnt going to achieve anything. Times change and so do social views and interests. If you want to kill a big fish go right ahead....if you dont have thick enough skin to hear a comment or 2 about C & R then simply dont post it for all to see. Its an open forum where every one has the right to their opinion.

I usually keep my mouth shut about these issues as ive seen it all a million times on various forums and it always ends up back where it started. with nothing achieved.

for the record i catch and release and catch for a feed if the right species comes aboard. Just my 2 cents.

Poodroo
22-04-2008, 06:37 PM
In all honesty everyone is entitled to their opinions but here is a suggestion. If you feel the need to disagree with someone's catch then send that person a PM and keep the negativity off the thread for the sakes of all who enjoy a good read. I have to wonder why people who have to start arguments always have to do it publicly in front of the rest of the readers when it can happen on the side out of view?

Regards,

Poodroo

breamnut
22-04-2008, 06:43 PM
jeffo is right but also it true that the cnr fisho's do bag some posts.
i dont think its right killing as big breeder flattie as they are the future for our fishery and if everyone did it it wouldnt be good news for the old lizards.
BUT there is nothing wrong with keeping fish aslong as your sensible and dont go over the top and fill fish bins of tailor when u dont need them like they did in the old days.
i am a cnr fisho most of he time but will keep a fish every now and then like a squire or 2.
and if you are so against killing fish thats fine, but i bet you eat fish and guess wat happend to that fish!;D
this contry is getting bigger and bigger and u need the cnr fisho's what will happen to places like the goldy when its as big as sydney???
sydney is massive and it can take that population but the creeks and rivers around the goldy area arr not big enough.
the bloody netters take more fish in those nets in one go then 20 guys keeping there bag limets of fish on here.
lets get them out of our waterways!

Oh Gee
22-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I practice C&R most the time...But anything legal size, tasty and needed for the family tables is treated with the utmost care, into the esky. I'm a hunter-gatherer and proud of it.

breamnut
22-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Australia is way behind the rest of the world is preserving our fish stocks and i dont mean keeping fish, i mean the commercial fisherman still able to flog our rivers and oceans.
the kingfish trapes nearly wipped out the whole population in sydney harbour and now they have been banned they have made a come back.
most places around the world farm there bait and other fish to take the load of the rivers and oceans and if even just prawns,whitbait and pillies were no longer netted i bet there would be alot more fish around too.

mattooty
22-04-2008, 07:03 PM
sydney is massive and it can take that population but the creeks and rivers around the goldy area arr not big enough.
the bloody netters take more fish in those nets in one go then 20 guys keeping there bag limets of fish on here.
lets get them out of our waterways!

You've raised 2 very relevant points here.
1 is the population issue, i personally don't experience that as i live in the lil fishing village of yamba...(well we're basically brisbane during holiday periods with the amount of QLD plates driving around), but i can see exactly what you're saying and i completely agree. C&R is a vital part of our fishing economy, wether it be releasing that breeder flatty or that undersize flatty, it makes no difference. But lets give everyone a rest and give them either the time of day to congratulate them on a fish of a lifetime or, if you don't agree, close the window and read the next report. As much as you might not agree with it, you're only passing on your frustration when you dampen someones bragging rights.
The 2nd point you've raised is commercial netters. the river that i live on supplys the better portion of sydney fish markets and brisbane fish markets stock. Any wonder why the schools of mullet that were once measured in the tens of acres are now measured in 100's of fish. Ever thought about just why its not like "the good ol' days"? With the heavy pressure applied on both bait stocks and high end predators through commercial activity we have seen a HUGE decline in fish stocks.
Using mullet as an example once again, there is zero chance that recreational anglers ever had an effect, have you ever tried to catch a mullet on a regular basis? I rest my case.

But back to the point in question, we've all got our morals that apply to our styles of fishing, some might see that kilo plus bream as a trophy, others might see it as a grandfather where as some might just see it as another pesky bream. Whatever you think of that fish, take into consideration what the poster thinks of it and how proud they are. If you think that the 69cm flathead was pushing the limits then by all means say your comment on "its a bit close to the limit" but try adding a smiley next to it to imply you're not creating an aggressive post and whatever you do don't forget what you think if you caught that fish, released or kept.

theres my rant. i'm off to do some uni study. :-[

BAR UP
22-04-2008, 07:05 PM
In all honesty everyone is entitled to their opinions but here is a suggestion. If you feel the need to disagree with someone's catch then send that person a PM and keep the negativity off the thread for the sakes of all who enjoy a good read. I have to wonder why people who have to start arguments always have to do it publicly in front of the rest of the readers when it can happen on the side out of view?

Regards,

Poodroo
Here Here Poodroo, that is very good advice. I got involved in the same arguement last year after one of my posts. I did nothing illegal just had a great day out with a mighty catch between 3 of us. Got riducled for keeping too many fish. Kind of puts you off a bit doing any more posts but i'm over that now so look out.;)

Horse
22-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I have been involved in C&R for over 30 years. I now choose to seldom fish for species I do not wish to eat. I personally do not feel great about catching and releasing too many fish for fun as I am aware that a certain percentage (10-50%)will not survive the encounter. This is my choice to keep a feed rather than fish for "fun".
When I was a young pup I was naive and pushed the C&R philosphy on others with respect to certain species like Trevs. It was OK for me to C&R 30 or so in a session but I would get grumpy with someone keeping a few for a feed. During those sessions I was undoubtedly killing many more fish than they were but I was too inexperienced to know it.
By all means practice C&R and enjoy it to the max but please do not make negative comment in a report where someone has caught some great fish within all the rules of the game and kept them for a feed.

If you don't have something nice to say then don't say it in response to someone sharing their experience

Cheers

Neil

SummerTrance
22-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Regards,

Poodroo

I have to disagree with that. No one should be sending nasty pm's. If someone has something to say, it should be on the public forum.

Remember about a week ago. This happened to Cobia kid. Someone sent him a very nasty pm, flaming him for keeping a 'breeder' cobia he has in his avitar. He posted a thread about it and was obviously a bit hurt by the comments. Pages of members posted in support of Cobia Kid and roasted the guy who sent the pm (as did I)

I would much rather someone post negative comments to me in the public forum, then send me a nasty pm, at least other like minded people can back me up and post support and the person flaming cant hide behind a pm.

For the record. I keep all fish over the size limit, and have never bagged out.

NAGG
22-04-2008, 07:43 PM

I thought this was quite an interesting thread with a valid point of view ....... Till this !

What a load of tripe ....... Yeh, this really does do a great deal of good:-X ...... so much for being " Open to anything outside their own thought processes" ::)

Nagg

dogsbody
22-04-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't mind if your a C@R fisher. It's when they start to question why would you keep a legal fish, that is what is annoying and then turns the thread into something other than what it was.

I'll still report,, the way i fish (within the regulations).

Dave.

mik01
22-04-2008, 07:48 PM
what bothers me is how much this site has changed over the years....it used to be a whole bunch of great guys and girls (alot of whom dont post here anymore for various reasons) who would talk fishing and hang a bit of sh!t every now and then but all in good fun and it was left at that . These days its usually 99% bitchy ness and 1% quality.

its a sad day when much older blokes are bagging out young up and commers for voicing their opinion about catch and release. These young guys are the future of the sport/hobby we all enjoy so much- and hammering them for believing in catch and release isnt going to achieve anything. Times change and so do social views and interests. If you want to kill a big fish go right ahead....if you dont have thick enough skin to hear a comment or 2 about C & R then simply dont post it for all to see. Its an open forum where every one has the right to their opinion.

I usually keep my mouth shut about these issues as ive seen it all a million times on various forums and it always ends up back where it started. with nothing achieved.

for the record i catch and release and catch for a feed if the right species comes aboard. Just my 2 cents.

Jeffo - I think the point of this thread is the bagging that Dogsbody and Custaro received from a couple of likely suspects representing the C&R fraternity. I'm sure no one is advocating all C&R people are in the same ilk, nor are they hammering them for believing in C&R.

Bagging out a fellow Ausfisher, fishing within the LEGAL rules of the State they live in, is a pretty low act.

One thing that gives this site its credibility is ZERO tolerance of illegal fishing practices - the members are to be congratulated for their efforts to practice sustainable, legal fishing practices.

In fighting, and petty squabbling, is really a no win situation. Therefore, why would people bother to attack others who are doing no wrong? Because, behind the keyboard, they can. I'm sure none of them would front up at the ramp and chastise a bloke for keeping a legal, large fish!!!

Just because you have the right to voice an opinion, doesn't mean you should. Perhaps the younger generation could learn some discretion in this regard?

Poodroo
22-04-2008, 08:09 PM
I have to disagree with that. No one should be sending nasty pm's. If someone has something to say, it should be on the public forum.

Remember about a week ago. This happened to Cobia kid. Someone sent him a very nasty pm, flaming him for keeping a 'breeder' cobia he has in his avitar. He posted a thread about it and was obviously a bit hurt by the comments. Pages of members posted in support of Cobia Kid and roasted the guy who sent the pm (as did I)

I would much rather someone post negative comments to me in the public forum, then send me a nasty pm, at least other like minded people can back me up and post support and the person flaming cant hide behind a pm.

For the record. I keep all fish over the size limit, and have never bagged out.

First of all I agree that it is a public forum and I am not against constructive criticism but my main point here is that when one has been out fishing and done everything according to the current laws and brings home a feed and out of exuberance and excitement feels the need to share it with his fellow fishermen and women on a forum then he/she should not have to feel ridiculed in any way for having done so. If someone feels the need to get nasty then I along with a lot of other members would rather not see it in an otherwise cheerful thread. I am not suggesting getting nasty in a PM but rather being tactful and keeping a civil tone in a PM expressing your concerns in order to keep the negativity out of the thread. Let’s put the shoe on the other foot SumerTrance and say that you put up a post and everyone jumped on the bandwagon and slammed you for putting your thread up. How would that make you feel? I have had it happen to me and it is a belittling experience that leaves a bad taste and is uncalled for. I for one would have prefered this particular person had of approached me in a PM and expressed his concerns rather than make it blatently obvious that he was trying to put me down and make me look bad and himself look better. In the end I think that person looked more of a fool than I did. If someone puts up a post about doing things that are in breech of the laws pertaining to fishing then they deserve to be slammed and have their post deleted by the moderators but let’s leave that up to the moderators who are doing a fine job of keeping the forum suitable for all ages.

Regards,

Poodroo

T1
22-04-2008, 08:10 PM
KINGTIN, BANSHEE & NAGG!

It was tongue in cheek fella's - apologies if this has caused offence to you guys (& anyone else)...

I couldn't give 2 sh%ts about who likes and practices what etc etc, just trying to be funny (& sarcastic) - but that obviously backfired! Thanks for highlighting this though!! Classic example of 'Type before you THINK'!

Take Care T

jeffo
22-04-2008, 08:11 PM
in a perfect world the "if you dont have anything nice to say" scenario would ring true.....but people are ALWAYS going to voice their opinions on forums like this, and after nearly 5 years as a member here i must say that the larger the member numbers get the more it happens, it comes with the territory of being an active member i think.

mod5
22-04-2008, 08:12 PM
they deserve to be slammed and have their post deleted by the moderators but let’s leave that up to the moderators who are doing a fine job of keeping the forum suitable for all ages.

As I just stated on another thread. We cannot possibly read all posts so need to be informed when these things are happening.

This is the report http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/report.gif button

Poseidon
22-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I have read one of the reports obviously in question then compared it to one almost identical just below it with the stark difference being one is full of 'negative' comments and the other full of positive and constructive support.

So what is the difference?

Well.....one of the reports left absolutely no doubt the outcome for the fish the other left everyone guessing was the fish released or did it go into the esky? This missing link it seems is the key difference in the reports.

OK, so perhaps the secret is the way that you post the photos and whether or not you think that a photo showing a fish hanging by its neck or laid out on a tarp will actually add any value to your report given that you have already included some really great after catch photos that to this point would have kept everyone guessing and almost guarantee a positive report?

Sure, you could argue that people should be able post whatever and whenever they like without fear of those zealots from whatever leaning putting their thoughts forward however given that there will always be 2 sides to everything in life and if you are concerned about any 'negative' comments then you may need to read your post, check your photos before hitting the submit and you may be surprised how easy your run home may become.

These are only my observations over a few years of seeing posts copping the odd negative comment and not meant at all as having a shot at anyone for the way they post reports. :)

Regards Cameron.

T1
22-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I have read one of the reports obviously in question then compared it to one almost identical just below it with the stark difference being one is full of 'negative' comments and the other full of positive and constructive support.

So what is the difference?

Well.....one of the reports left absolutely no doubt the outcome for the fish the other left everyone guessing was the fish released or did it go into the esky? This missing link it seems is the key difference in the reports.

OK, so perhaps the secret is the way that you post the photos and whether or not you think that a photo showing a fish hanging by its neck or laid out on a tarp will actually add any value to your report given that you have already included some really great after catch photos that to this point would have kept everyone guessing and almost guarantee a positive report?

Sure, you could argue that people should be able post whatever and whenever they like without fear of those zealots from whatever leaning putting their thoughts forward however given that there will always be 2 sides to everything in life and if you are concerned about any 'negative' comments then you may need to read your post, check your photos before hitting the submit and you may be surprised how easy your run home may become.

These are only my observations over a few years of seeing posts copping the odd negative comment and not met at all as having a shot at anyone for the way they post reports. :)

Regards Cameron.

Cameron, i think you hit the nail on the head champ!!

But, you should also be able to enjoy your Thread without fear of nastiness & reprisals... And if that means taking a pic at home, which obviously means it wasn't released, then you shouldn't have to fear posting! But an extremely valid point you make and one we can all take on board!

Take Care T

SummerTrance
22-04-2008, 09:01 PM
. Let’s put the shoe on the other foot SumerTrance and say that you put up a post and everyone jumped on the bandwagon and slammed you for putting your thread up. How would that make you feel? I have had it happen to me and it is a belittling experience that leaves a bad taste and is uncalled for. I for one would have prefered this particular person had of approached me in a PM and expressed his concerns rather than make it blatently obvious that he was trying to put me down and make me look bad and himself look better.
Poodroo

I guess thats where we differ on the matter. I would rather someone post bad things about me in public, rather then send me a pm. Then others could post in my support, rather then me sit back in private and second guess myself, and the keyboard warrior be unaccountable.

But dont get me wrong, im not in favour of people posting negative comments at all, either in public or by pm. I love reading good reports (best thing about this site) and hate when people feel the need to push their personal views on other law abiding fishos.

Poodroo
22-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I guess thats where we differ on the matter. I would rather someone post bad things about me in public, rather then send me a pm. Then others could post in my support, rather then me sit back in private and second guess myself, and the keyboard warrior be unaccountable.

But dont get me wrong, im not in favour of people posting negative comments at all, either in public or by pm. I love reading good reports (best thing about this site) and hate when people feel the need to push their personal views on other law abiding fishos.

Looking at the BIG picture once again this is a public forum as you have already stated and I for one would rather see civil posting done so that the young and impressionable don't have to witness adults behaving badly. Enough said on my part and moving on. Thanks for your input. (See we have been civil about the whole thing which is nice). ;) ::)

Poodroo

Reel Nauti
22-04-2008, 09:33 PM
I fail to see why anyone taking legal catches should be subjected to the ridicule so often forthcoming these days on the boards. Perhaps the photo's and the reports sections be removed in their entirety? Would this illiminate the topic of this thread? Would this action put a stop to a few who choose to bag lawful fisho's with legal catches?

At the end of the day, we all have alternatives and preferences. If our alternatives and preferences are within the law then they do not deserve nor warrant prosecution nor persecution from anyone else.

I say this is a wonderful site for fisherman/woman, keep it that way by sharing the harmony, and as I've said before in another thread, if anything legal really stresses you out go and seek counselling.

Cheers

Dave

liltuffy
22-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Look back and read the posts on this thread, can you all really believe what you have all posted???????????.

Slap yourself in the face and wake up yourselves, this is a site to share information, knowledge and reports, not a slag match.

Post the reports of what you have caught, brag about your kids catch and be content in the knowledge you have taught your kids life skills.

If you don't have kids then enjoy what you have caught and be proud of it for you have done what you have set out to do - catch a fish.

What you do with it is your choice and no one elses.

Craig

UNCLE NUGGY
22-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Look back and read the posts on this thread, can you all really believe what you have all posted???????????.

Slap yourself in the face and wake up yourselves, this is a site to share information, knowledge and reports, not a slag match.

Post the reports of what you have caught, brag about your kids catch and be content in the knowledge you have taught your kids life skills.

If you don't have kids then enjoy what you have caught and be proud of it for you have done what you have set out to do - catch a fish.

Craig

well said Craig
thought this was the bitch at each other thread to scare of new members
if you want to eat it keep it and cook it
cheers
UN

mik01
22-04-2008, 10:02 PM

Craig

good on you mate - a slapping is whats in order round here. :P
and a snappering might'nt go astray either!!!!

mally
22-04-2008, 10:32 PM
this is better than jerry springer

kingtin
22-04-2008, 10:39 PM
this is better than jerry springer

Anything's better than Jerry Springer :P ;D

kev

nigelr
23-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Who was it that first instigated the tactic of devide and rule? Certainly been around for a long time!
As intelligent, responsible, forward-looking amatuer fishermen and fisherwomen we need to be focusing on the issues that unite us as a common group.
My personal view has been echoed by a couple of posts here, in regards to the efforts of the commercial sector. Specifically regarding the practices of (ostensibly)netting for mullet and other bait fish.
Rather than bagging ourselves to the common detriment, would not the cause of amatuer fishos be furthered if we focused on this and other related issues?
Just a thought, the sea mullet run is at hand again........
Cheers to all!

FNQCairns
23-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Just take an extra fish or two each time and proclaim it for interest in the report, the only way to fight a self serving ideology is with a counter self serving ideology:)

cheers fnq

SunnyCoastMark
23-04-2008, 10:37 AM
OK, well everyone seems to be getting in on this one, so my 2cents worth:-

1) This is a public froum and like it or not - people have opinions and as long as they are they are presented in a constructive non personal - I don't have a problem with whatever their view may be. Remember that when you put yourself up there in a post, you have to be prepared to cop whatever comments follow - personal attacks excepeted of course. If you think you are only ever going to attract positive feel good comments, then perhaps you need to come back down to earth with the rest of us mortals.

2) As always, you have a choice to ignore any comments that you wish, or respond, hopefully not by lowering yourself to the level of any personal comments. Keep it factual and real.

3)I can't recall any comments or posts specifically critising any ausfishers for not practising catch and release. I think most of us enjoy taking home a good feed for our Families and if we are fortunate enough - friends and neighbours as well.
I'm pretty sure no-one is begrudging anybody doing that. ( Unless I have missed a lot of posts).

4) People often get labelled as "greenies" erroneously for voicing a concern over huge catches or netting or whatever - so it cuts both ways.

I myself made a comment in another post about photo's being posted of large charter boat catches. Now I certainly have nothing against large accumulated catches by numbers of people, my only concern was the ammunition we were giving "greenies" who will take those photo's and use them without explanation.
Doesn't matter that it was 150 fish caught by 20 people or whatever.

There was also a post by someone who had been on a similar charter with large numbers of fish caught - most by tourists staying in resorts who had no idea what to do with their fish. Inevitably some of the catch would have been dumped (according to the poster). This was also a valid concern.
Immediately, I had other posters going to the other extreme of "well we won't bother posting reports or photo's at all then!" - Which is of course not what I was saying at all. My concern was that we need to be smart in the images we post.

That's it for me.:)

Mark

Lucky_Phill
23-04-2008, 10:53 AM
This is from a post in another thread;

To anyone that has stopped posting reports in this section, please have a re-think.

There are now two members that have been banned for their comments. Jeremy is right in that one can offer opinions, but to be constantly ' flamed ' by people that offer nothing more than critisism is not on, as far as myself and other Mods are concerned.

We moderators do not get an opportunity to read every thread, but since this one has attracted a lot of attention, a more vigilant approach will be taken towards the " Fishing Reports " sections.

To those that want to debate the pro's and cons of legal fish, size limits, breeding stocks, take / no take etc, do it by another means other than ' highjacking ' someones else's thread. People who put up reports go to a great deal of trouble and effort to do so in the hope of assisting other fishos and entertaining members and guests. I personally don't believe in the " hero " ideal of posting pics and reports as members here post up reports for genuine reasons.

This site is and has always been based around the members. The members make this site what it is today.

Opinions are welcome and encouraged, but certainly critisism without being constructive or factual is not condoned. Don't make it personal.

Please enjoy the reports and take onboard what advice is offered and participate in the threads if you want.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cheers Phill

_Dan_
23-04-2008, 10:59 AM
We are mostly all adults, i couldnt give a stuff what anyone else says about my catch. I dont post pics anyways.

I am a 95% release fisherman, and i give my mates stick about them keeping one 25cm bream but we are mates and hey thats life.

I am going to post a pic soon of my grandads big 2.4kg cleaned bream. Hey people will have there oppinnions about it, but hey that was a fish of a lifetime for a man who fished since the 30's, so i couldnt give a toss what anyone else thinks.

One point, i dont go to fraser because of the plundering of tailor that goes on there, and IMO i think that is something that needs to be addressed but thats my thought and i dont rant and rave about it.

Cheers

Dan

DR
23-04-2008, 10:59 AM
i couldn't be bothered reading three pages of the same old rubbish, read the first post & replied..
if the catch is legal, who really cares what they think. i practice 98% catch & release, my choice..i don't get all bent out of shape because someone takes 'legal' fish, their choice..end of story, almost!

if someone flames you, IGNORE them, don't get all defensive, pretend they never even posted in your thread. same for all the defenders, ignore the nay sayers & get on with it. if we all do this & they don't get a reaction they will probably get bored & stop.
don't get all sooky & stop posting because someone has a go at you,don't let these people control the content of this site.
IGNORE THEM

disorderly
23-04-2008, 11:29 AM
don't get all sooky & stop posting because someone has a go at you,don't let these people control the content of this site.
IGNORE THEM

Well said........http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Peter4
23-04-2008, 11:41 AM
My two-bob's worth........

I agree with DR - ignore them.

For the record I am 100% catch & release but, like many others, I have absolutely no problem with people keeping a legal catch for a feed.

We all need to have thicker skin when and if we post. Criticism will always be there - its just a matter of how you choose to accept it.

Recently I made a negative comment on a thread and was chewed out by a response from a fellow Ausfisher.

Two day's later we met face to face by co-incidence at the Cleveland boat ramp. Did we yell at each other?....start a punch up?.....make a scene?.....

No, we chatted and had a laugh about it (remember Andrew?).

The point is that written criticism is often more harshly interpreted than it is intended. Don't get offended - just keep posting your reports, enjoy the positive comments and ignore the negative ones or those you don't agree with.

Regs

Pete

Dick Pasfield
23-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Everyone can get a bit passionate about something, fair ‘nough. And people can be forgiven for being a bit passionate about sustaining fish stocks. If you cast your minds back 40 years and compare the apples of yesterday to those of today and without a doubt we’ve come a long way, no easy task when you’re talking about fundamental changes in cultural practices across Australia. If we go forward another 40 years, well you all can have a guess at where we’ll be based on the journey so far.

Size and bag limits, open and closed seasons and fish habitat protection areas are all enforced to maintain fish stocks. Working within those parameters is socially acceptable by most of the population regardless of our own individual thoughts on the matter.

As we’re part way along the path to achieving some sort of sustainable fish stock level there’ll be those urging everyone on to do more, all passionate people. A problem with passionate people is sometimes it takes a fair bit of peer pressure for them to widen their focus to consider other points of view or issues and for very few its just about impossible, great drivers but can be rotten steerers with the wheel in their hands.

Unfortunately some of the more passionate people are their own worst enemy when it comes to making any progress. By trying to get the applecart to move forward they’ll tip it over, a lot of energy gets used up righting it and we end up no closer to the goal, all that really was required was a little grease on the axle. Often one way the apple cart gets tipped is with people saying the wrong thing at the wrong time when all that was required to get a point across was just a little bit of tact that people would take some notice of rather than arc up.

At the end of the day the person who thinks they’re fighting the good fight but refuses to do it in an intelligent manner only has their credibility shot, their sphere on influence reduced and will achieve very little.

Sometimes you get that;).

kingtin
23-04-2008, 04:28 PM
You're bob on Dick and thanks for that. You said it so much better than I ::) ;D

A cracking post and my belated welcome to Ausfish.

kev

mik01
23-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Everyone can get a bit passionate about something, fair ‘nough. And people can be forgiven for being a bit passionate about sustaining fish stocks. If you cast your minds back 40 years and compare the apples of yesterday to those of today and without a doubt we’ve come a long way, no easy task when you’re talking about fundamental changes in cultural practices across Australia. If we go forward another 40 years, well you all can have a guess at where we’ll be based on the journey so far.

Size and bag limits, open and closed seasons and fish habitat protection areas are all enforced to maintain fish stocks. Working within those parameters is socially acceptable by most of the population regardless of our own individual thoughts on the matter.

As we’re part way along the path to achieving some sort of sustainable fish stock level there’ll be those urging everyone on to do more, all passionate people. A problem with passionate people is sometimes it takes a fair bit of peer pressure for them to widen their focus to consider other points of view or issues and for very few its just about impossible, great drivers but can be rotten steerers with the wheel in their hands.

Unfortunately some of the more passionate people are their own worst enemy when it comes to making any progress. By trying to get the applecart to move forward they’ll tip it over, a lot of energy gets used up righting it and we end up no closer to the goal, all that really was required was a little grease on the axle. Often one way the apple cart gets tipped is with people saying the wrong thing at the wrong time when all that was required to get a point across was just a little bit of tact that people would take some notice of rather than arc up.

At the end of the day the person who thinks they’re fighting the good fight but refuses to do it in an intelligent manner only has their credibility shot, their sphere on influence reduced and will achieve very little.

Sometimes you get that;).

soooooo......

the point here is that the written word is not the forum to tactfully approach others with your opinions on the moral/ethical merits you subscribe to.

its too open to mis-interpretation and will ALWAYS cause debate and offense.

lessons need to be learned by those who would flame the MAJORITY of fishers here when they take a legal fish - button up and if it goes against your beliefs, take it up with the authorities.

is it over now?

imnotoriginal
23-04-2008, 07:39 PM
C'mon mod 5, lock it! You know you want to...
Joel

pickers
23-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Mattooty
you could do as I always do and only post your bad days and don't add a photo gallery as this only gives the huggers and kissers more ammo to use.
pickers.
and I've only been fishing for 38 years. lol

Dick Pasfield
24-04-2008, 12:12 AM
the point here is that the written word is not the forum to tactfully approach others with your opinions on the moral/ethical merits you subscribe to.
With the limitations of a forum, saying what you want to say so its interpreted correctly can be a bit tough. Smilies are a great help there to give a sense of body language.

A tactful approach to to raising the issue we're poking about at the moment would not be to suggest the angler should have released their fish, legally caught and on its way to the frying pan. The best thing anyone could do there is to genuinely celebrate the catch with them for all the right reasons that make it important to that person to keep that fish.

If you think that upper size limits should be reduced make that the focus of a separate thread. You may just find that the angler who kept that larger fish may at least be happy to accept a tighter restriction or at best be an advocate for them, especially if the thread is managed well. You wont win them all but you need to win as many as you can to make a difference.