PDA

View Full Version : outboard parts, are there fair prices?

dreemon
22-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Can anyone direct me to where to find outboard parts for a reasonable price? I do most of my own work so I can afford the boat , at the moment looking for carb parts, the dealer wants $ 39 for 1 needle and $49 for 1 seat, $34 per float and $31 for stock main jets ea. luckly I only have 2 carbs, but thats a total of $306 :o ! does that sound right or wrong? they are Keikhen made carbs for a 40 hp Mariner 91 model, thanks if you can help . johnny b

FNQCairns
22-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Try here: http://www.boats.net/parts/search.html

Interested to hear the price comparison when you get it, expect to add freight say 35aud for little parts (could be less)
They are reliable and honest to a T so far in my experience.

cheers fnq

BaitThrower
22-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Hate to say it, as I like to support local business as much as possible, but look overseas mate if you need to save some $$. A google search for part numbers will no doubt bring up many hits.

HYJACK
22-04-2008, 03:00 PM
G'DAY DREEMON IM NOT SURE WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED BUT GIVE SOUTHSIDE MARINE COMPONENTS A CALL. THEY SEEM TO HAVE HEAPS OF RECONDITION PARTS AT THE RIGHT PRICE. IT MIGHT BE A WAY YOU CAN SAVE A BIT OF MONEY. THEY ARE LOCATED AT YATLA BUT IM SURE THEY COULD POST PARTS. HEAR IS THERE WEB SITE http://www.outboardwrecking.com.au/

CHEERS

HYJACK

BM
22-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Dreemon,

Why do you want all tese carby parts? What SPECIFICALLY is wrong with your engine?

Cheers

dreemon
23-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the links, haven't got a reply fr them yet to compare prices, but will let ya know, I do mostly buy local but as long as the dollars stay in oz it's ok, I live on the gold coast so the yatla wreckers are sorta close, the reason I need these carb parts are for 2 engines, want to put the main stock jets back into mine, thought bigger jets would help hp, but then fitted carbon fiber reeds and they make the engine run even more rich and basically waisting fuel, the other engine is on a mate boat, it runs lean at idle ( chirps, sneeze then stalls ), when I did have the carbs apart i did notice that one float was showing a low float level but thought it would still be ok, but not, these floats are not adjustable ( all plasic and no metal tabs to hold memory) the needles and seats would just make sence since the carbs are appart, I will still be looking for an air leak ....someware,... Thanks again for help Cheers, johnny b

BM
23-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Personally I'd be keeping things standard. Once you deviate form the original design intention things start to play up and it then requires plenty of fiddling with a modified engine to get things to be just right.

If you need more hp then get a bigger engine. Its the most reliable way. Plus your resale can be affected too with a "fiddled with" engine. I would not buy a fiddled with engine to onsell as I couldn't trust it with a warranty attached.

But to each his own I guess. Still, those parts seem quite dear.

Cheers

dreemon
25-04-2008, 09:18 AM
I have restored these engines and do constant maintanance not that much fiddling, the only thing would be fitting the boyesen reeds, it made the engine idle really smooth and helped in acceleration with no more top speed, but will get to 60 klms quick , i personally like the new reeds, if one gets sucked in to the engine i will end up back at the boat ramp with my familly without needing a tow and a rebuild, but I dont think the price of the reeds were worth the performance. I did get a price back for rebuild kit from usa $ 34.99 plus postage,