PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a tinny :)

azzure
22-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey! I'm currently looking for a tinny. I'm a total newby when it comes to boats and i was wondering what engine HP would be suitable. What size(so that two people can fish)? I heard that there is alot of problems with the motors on boats these days and that i should just go to a brand new motor but unfortunately ive only got around $4,000. New or Second Hand? AUSFISHERS HELP :P

Thanks

BaitThrower
22-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Depends what size ya need mate?

You could get a decent second hand hull for $1500 quite easily in the 3-4m range, then whack a new 15hp on the back for a total of $4000. Depends where you want to fish as to what size you need. A 15 horse will be more than enough for 2 people, and probably fine for 3 adults as well.

If you want to go out into the bay in partially smooth waters, then you probabkly need something over the 4m mark, and with higher sides. This will cost more than you have if you want a new motor too :(

azzure
22-04-2008, 12:08 PM
mate to tell you honestly i thought that a tinny in the 3.5 - 4m range would enable me to fish the river systems of the gold coast and through some of the canals leading to the pin bar.

JEWIENEWIE
22-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I think you are on the right track mate. I to bought a second hand hull and bought a new motor for my first boat. No good having a fancy expensive hull if the motor is shot. Good size boat for your first and for doing what you want. Mabe dont spend to much as it wont be oong before you gain confidence and figure what you need and dont need in a boat and you will be wanting a bigger boat before long.
Jewie

SunnyCoastMark
22-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Azzure,
Any fishing boatie will tell you it's always better to go a little bigger - than a little smaller.

I've had a few boats from 12' - 17' dingys, runabouts, half cabins and ATM a Centre console.

I would suggest someting around 3.9 - 4.2m mark with a 25 - 30 hp motor.

There are a couple in the classifeds which look OK.

have a look

Hope that helps,

BaitThrower
22-04-2008, 01:19 PM
mate to tell you honestly i thought that a tinny in the 3.5 - 4m range would enable me to fish the river systems of the gold coast and through some of the canals leading to the pin bar.

Yep it will! No problem. Maybe you misunderstood my first post or I didn't make it clear. All the river systems and canals around Gold Coast and throughout the pin etc are classed as "Smooth water" although sometimes it can be far from smooth when the onshore winds pick up.

I'd happily take my 3.4m tinnie down to the pin when the weather is good. Just not so sure I'd trust my old motor yet though LOL. A new motor is a good investment I think.

azzure
22-04-2008, 01:40 PM
baitthrower.. thanks for that mate :) im studying for an exam which is tomorow so im not quiet all there at the moment. is there a certain website just for boat motors?

BaitThrower
22-04-2008, 03:14 PM
baitthrower.. thanks for that mate :) im studying for an exam which is tomorow so im not quiet all there at the moment. is there a certain website just for boat motors?

Umm not really mate. Just the dealer websites if you are looking for prices, but most of them wont list those either. Best to ring around. Maybe consider a Tohatsu brand. Generally a few hundred cheaper than the main brands and everyone seems to rave about them. Japanese made. Talking 2-stroke here. A 4-stroke is gonna cost you much more.

azzure
22-04-2008, 04:49 PM
is there a reasonable difference between 2 & 4 stroke

disorderly
22-04-2008, 05:29 PM
is there a reasonable difference between 2 & 4 stroke

In the size you are looking at and with a limited budget in mind ...a carby 2 stroke is what you are looking at ...cheapest to buy and cheapest to service ...use a bit more fuel but you will hardly notice it in that size range.
Like the lads suggest get something around 4m (anything less is really to small)with a 25-30 2 stroke on the back and happy days..till you figure that you want to go a bit further and a bigger boat is necessary.(my small creek boat is 4.3 m and I would not go smaller as where we are the creeks are home to crocs...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif.

happy boating

Scott

CreelReaper
22-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Mate have a look around at the different tinnies new or second hand and actually sit in them. Get a feel for the size you want and will feel comfortable with. There are heaps of threads in the boating section that covers a lot of what you need to ask yourself and the boats design and build capabilities. Once you have decided on the hull then the builders plate will dictate what the hp range of the engine should be for that boat. Have some fun with it and you will also learn heaps as you go.

Shane

seajay535
22-04-2008, 07:45 PM
head to the tinny and tackle show and have a good look at the different brands that are around that should help to get a feel for size you want

azzure
22-04-2008, 08:01 PM
when is the tinny and tackle show?

Custaro
22-04-2008, 08:09 PM
yes, the tinny show is a must. i browsed around at the show before buying my tinny was great to compare all makes and models at one site. you might be amazed at how cheap some new packages are. a tinny with no frills (paint, consol etc.) is much more affordable.

Oh Gee
22-04-2008, 08:13 PM
This weekend. Opens at 1:30 ANZAC day i think.

laney
22-04-2008, 08:58 PM
to be honest mate i dont think a brand new motor is all that important. your big brands like mercury/mariner, yamaha in the 15hp to 25hp range will go for years and years with no dramas as long as you give it a good service once a year. they are tought little motors and wont give you dramas. something about 3.8m is ideal for what you want. i picked up a 2005 3.85 quintrex explorer used once, 2003 15hp merc and 2005 model oceanic trailer for $4150 with the added bonus of extruded gunnels.

start buying the trading post every week anything that sounds ok mark it and ring up. it could be the first or could take up to 3months to find the right 2nd hand tinny but itll be worth it.

good luck mate

johnny roger
24-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Hey! I'm currently looking for a tinny. I'm a total newby when it comes to boats and i was wondering what engine HP would be suitable. What size(so that two people can fish)? I heard that there is alot of problems with the motors on boats these days and that i should just go to a brand new motor but unfortunately ive only got around $4,000. New or Second Hand? AUSFISHERS HELP :P

Thanks
hey azzure,
I picked up a 3.7 M stessl a few months ago with a 19 HP tohatsu. it came with a 2 year old redco trailer, and all the extras for $2500! it was a good buy. So there are a few out there mate, just need to keep looking at all the web sites like boat point.com, trading post.com, and look around on you local community bulletin boards. i actually found my boat on the woolworths bulletin board one day when i was shopping.
good luck,
John

JEWIENEWIE
24-04-2008, 02:10 PM
[quote=laney;807068]to be honest mate i dont think a brand new motor is all that important. your big brands like mercury/mariner, yamaha in the 15hp to 25hp range will go for years and years with no dramas as long as you give it a good service once a year. they are tought little motors and wont give you dramas.

The problem i have in buying a second hand motor is you dont know the history of it. I might start ok seem ok and be a great price then a couple of runs and you start having troubles. Up to the buyer i guess, but i would rather spend my money on a new motor for piece of mind, or at least get it checked, warranty etc. Dont want to be admiring your nice hull for hours while you wait or a tow.
Jewie

laney
24-04-2008, 06:06 PM
[quote=laney;807068]to be honest mate i dont think a brand new motor is all that important. your big brands like mercury/mariner, yamaha in the 15hp to 25hp range will go for years and years with no dramas as long as you give it a good service once a year. they are tought little motors and wont give you dramas.

The problem i have in buying a second hand motor is you dont know the history of it. I might start ok seem ok and be a great price then a couple of runs and you start having troubles. Up to the buyer i guess, but i would rather spend my money on a new motor for piece of mind, or at least get it checked, warranty etc. Dont want to be admiring your nice hull for hours while you wait or a tow.
Jewie

thats fair enough too, just my personal opinion, my biggest rule when it comes down to buying boats/motors is if the seller does not seem genuine and i doubt it one bit i walk away and it has paid off as the last 3 motors ive had on different boats have been perfect and havent had any problems and i havent had any checked by mechanics either luck maybe im not sure.

For Steve
24-04-2008, 06:10 PM
I bought my current tinnie (Allycraft 395 Avalon, 25hp 2 stroke twin carb Yamaha, Redco HD trailer) new from George at Wynnum Marine in October 2006. It was $6400 including safety gear, rego and insurance. It's possibly the best experience I've had buying a boat - no pressure, no bullsh*%t sales talk, just honest advice. I later spent about another $700 to make a floor, and fit a sounder and HH GPS.

It's been fantastic. After using it around the Broadwater and Pin, I now regularly venture to the Bay islands as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it gives you options. I realise it's above your current budget, but thought you might find it interesting and something to consider.

Cheers
Brad