PDA

View Full Version : A LITTLE HELP...... please

22-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Ok im looking to go away for the weekend, so i started the motor up on the boat (a '89mdl 200 mariner) and i dont believe there is enough water coming through the motor...

the way i tell is the it used to shoot water out and land 1.5 meters away now it might make .5meters, i did with with the ear muffs on, im wondering if there is not getting enough water, they are different ear muffs, im not 100% sure if i've used them before and if they were ok then, though i think i have.

what could cause this? is the pump stuffed? how can i check? coz i really dont want to cook the motor

thanks

disorderly
22-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Take it to your dealer...sounds like you need a new waterpump and impellor...many people change these with their yearly services anyway.

Whitto
22-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Ok im looking to go away for the weekend, so i started the motor up on the boat (a '89mdl 200 mariner) and i dont believe there is enough water coming through the motor...

the way i tell is the it used to shoot water out and land 1.5 meters away now it might make .5meters, i did with with the ear muffs on, im wondering if there is not getting enough water, they are different ear muffs, im not 100% sure if i've used them before and if they were ok then, though i think i have.

what could cause this? is the pump stuffed? how can i check? coz i really dont want to cook the motor

thanksThe only real way is to put your ob water pickup in a drum of water or launch the boat into the water if then u are still getting about .5mt I would say the impellor is on the way out, Cheers Whitto

Noelm
22-04-2008, 10:41 AM
could be just a simple blockage in the pee hole! always check the easy stuff first.

FNQCairns
22-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Could be just water volume even my little 90 doesn't pee well on the muffs and we have great presure to go al ong with good volume.

A motor cannot overheat without getting hot, your hand on the heads will tell you the truth every time.

cheers fnq

disorderly
22-04-2008, 10:46 AM
could be just a simple blockage in the pee hole! always check the easy stuff first.

ahhh ..the old wasp nest in the telltale trick....hate that.

SunnyCoastMark
22-04-2008, 10:47 AM
1) Check for mud potters wasps nests in the tell tale. (Poke a piece of wire up there)

2) Go down to the local ramp - leave boat on trailer, tilt motor down into the water - fire her up. - That should tell you pretty quick if all is OK or not.

Mark

Xahn1960
22-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Check your muffs as well, when my 88 Merc did that I found the muffs had a wasps nest in the hose connection. Little buggers will get in anywhere :)

Bill.

BM
22-04-2008, 12:25 PM
As mentioned by SunnyCoastMark,

Test it in the water at the boat ramp. V6 outboards usually have a pumping capacity that exceeds the waterflow from your domestic hose. This is why often with a Merc V6 the telltale can stop and start on the muffs yet be perfect in the water.

If the telltale is weak in the water then its time for a full service. Some dealers have a "powerhead" service and a "cooling system" service which to me is rubbish. When I am servicing an engine its the whole lot top to bottom so I can guarantee the state of the engine when I am done.

Also, as mentioned check the other possibles too.

Cheers

Mtx
22-04-2008, 01:01 PM
I used to have a johno hand grenade (30hp), it would not work on muffs, even with new pump and impellor.

85 ltr bins come in handy some times.

Noelm
22-04-2008, 01:18 PM
hhmm what's wrong with a 30HP Johnson, there must be zillions of those working like a dream.

Mtx
22-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Noelm do you mean there must be zillions dreaming about working? :)

it was a fantastic motor..... put it at cleveland, shoot over towards the raby bay marina, stop and not be able to restart the thing for 1/2 hour. was great.... to get rid of it.

next boat had a 50 mariner 4 banger on it. Sensational motor.

Noelm
22-04-2008, 02:19 PM
not wanting to take over this thread, BUT that is I can asure you, not a common thing, those old 25/30/35 run for years and years, the Surf Clubs still use them in one form or another.

Mtx
22-04-2008, 02:35 PM
fair enough. I must have got a dodgey one.

p.s I got the name johno hand grenade from 2 of the dealerships that worked on the motor :)

Davey1
22-04-2008, 06:07 PM
My mate once cooked his dad's outboard cause he didn't notice that the tell tale was not tell taling. When they took the motor apart the cooling channels were blocked up by spider webs & crap after being parked up beside the house for a while. :'(

seajay535
22-04-2008, 07:38 PM
My motor was just fixed cause the telltale wasnt peeing strong ,new water pump and impellor in still didnt fix it powerhead off and the rubber seal that joins the water tube to the powerhead had perished and closed off half the tube.