PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 90HP Breakdown

Dantren
22-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi folks.

I'm putting out the call for some help with a breakdown I experienced this morning.

Woke up at 4am to hit the bay & turned the ignition on to check the fuel level.
Shattered to find no sign of life.

Motor is a 2007 Suzuki 90HP 4Str.
Found the throttle controller dead.
No beeps.
No guages.
No trim.

The trim button on the outboard does work though.

All other electrics work ok.
Battery voltage 12.8V
Checked two fuses under the cowl, they are ok.

Any suggestions appreciated - I need to get out there!!!!!!

Dan.

Noelm
22-04-2008, 10:28 AM
even though it sounds like a Major dilema, I think you will find it is something quite simple, I guess a trip to the Dealer is in order, you did try another Battery (just in case)? it is under warranty, so instead of fooling about with it, get it in for Surgery ASAP.

FNQCairns
22-04-2008, 10:31 AM
White wire from battery to ecu, it's the mother of all things electrical on these engines i understand, bad connection or break on just this little wire and starship dead in space...

cheers fnq

dreemon
22-04-2008, 11:39 AM
you checked all fuses?

Chimo
22-04-2008, 11:46 AM
With a situation where it work fine when you used it last and it doesn't now it begs the question:
do you have mice or rats there?

Little buggers have been known to chew through wire as they keep their teeth from growing too long.

Wild thought but who knows till you check it out.

Cheers
Chimo

gofishin
22-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Dan,
Check the ignition plug located approx up to 1m away from controls, run with main loom, probably wrapped in tape.

Had your exact problem with a side mount control on a mates c/console, after a few hrs of chasing my but found that the plug had just separated.

Also check other plugs at motor end. Its gotta be one of these if fuses are OK.
cheers

polky
22-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Had the same problem with my 4st suzie, found the 30amp main motor fuse had blown, replaced and have had no hassels since. Polky

Spaniard_King
22-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi folks.

I'm putting out the call for some help with a breakdown I experienced this morning.

Woke up at 4am to hit the bay & turned the ignition on to check the fuel level.
Shattered to find no sign of life.

Motor is a 2007 Suzuki 90HP 4Str.
Found the throttle controller dead.
No beeps.
No guages.
No trim.

The trim button on the outboard does work though.

All other electrics work ok.
Battery voltage 12.8V
Checked two fuses under the cowl, they are ok.

Any suggestions appreciated - I need to get out there!!!!!!

Dan.

Have you recently removed or taken off the battery leads for any reason??

Sounds like to me the main fuseable link has gone! Can't remember where it is on a 90 suzi but look around the battery connections on the engine for something that looks like a removeable cover.. this link looks like a bare wire.. in the cover is a spare link. If this is the issue ensure you have the battery polarity correct before changing. Order a spare from your dealer. it takes all of a split second to blow this link if the battery pollarity is reversed.;)

leezor
22-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Dan,
Check the ignition plug located approx up to 1m away from controls, run with main loom, probably wrapped in tape.

Had your exact problem with a side mount control on a mates c/console, after a few hrs of chasing my but found that the plug had just separated.

Also check other plugs at motor end. Its gotta be one of these if fuses are OK.
cheers

Had the same problem with my 225hp when I fitted it. There is a bullet connector around 1mt from the ignition switch that I forgot to connect. Had no power to the gauges or ignition but the trim/tilt switch on the engine worked.

Lee

fishing111
22-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Dantern have you got those butterfly clips that hold the leads down?

Jabba_
22-04-2008, 05:43 PM
After 9 replies not one person has bagged his choice off motor... Be-it a E-tec thread, we would have 3 pages of insults from 4st owners....

I beg to ask a question... Why do the 4st crew insist on on ruining every E-tec thread, and yet the E-tec crew only offer hep with out bias regardless off what brand of motor the thread starter is having problems with......

jimbo59
22-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I know you have checked but try and reconnect the man overboard safety cord.

dunmears
22-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Dantren, As Spaniard King has stated if you have connected your battery and reversed the polarity the main fuse under the cowling will blow. I have my battery in the garage on the maintenance mode on the charger, went to hook the battery up to go fishing, connected the leads to the terminals, small spark , realised what I had done , corrected mistake I then tried to turn the key - nothing, checked the main fuse on the motor and sure enough blown fuse I replaced it with spare and everything was back to normal.

Spaniard_King
22-04-2008, 05:50 PM
After 9 replies not one person has bagged his choice off motor... Be-it a E-tec thread, we would have 3 pages of insults from 4st owners....

I beg to ask a question... Why do the 4st crew insist on on ruining every E-tec thread, and yet the E-tec crew only offer hep with out bias regardless off what brand of motor the thread starter is having problems with......

I guess a few people are sick of choking on them!!

Shanoss
22-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Or it could also be that he was just asking for some advice and was not needing anyone to stroke his outboard............

black runner
22-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Jabba the e-fisherman......a good cast but only a few inquisitive nibbles

Dantren
22-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the tips.
Was expecting the old "should have bought an e-tec" to be honest.

I checked under dash connections on the wiring looms.
I checked two fuses under the cowl.

Then made the call to Cunninghams. I was delighted to hear "can you bring her around this morning? We might be able to find something simple to get you back out on the water."

30 mins later, a tech was looking at it - scratching his head too.

Left the boat there as a 100 hr service is overdue. Exactly one year old.
Is that a lot?

Had a look at the wiring diagram in the manual this arvo. (Last resort.)
Indicates a field supplied 30A fuse from the battery to controller.
Lets hope it is that simple.

It might do me good to be land based for a while anyway.

Dan.

Dantren
24-04-2008, 05:44 PM
All fixed now.

The dealer replaced the wiring loom under warranty.

Happy days.

Steven78
24-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Good to hear its all sorted They are a very good motor like all modern motors these days.
Happy hunting

tin can marlin
24-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Good try jabba now go back and watch the dvd.