PDA

View Full Version : Optimax 150 V's E-Tec 150

bignense
22-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Gday,
Im in the process of buying my 1st "real" boat - a 20ft Makocraft Centre Console and would along with the other 40zillion questions and decisions I have had i am now at the stage of trying to decided what to power it with.
i hope to use it to go offshore fishing (SE Qld-Goldcoast Morton etc) and have decided on a 150HP 2 stroke but would just like to know what people think of these 2 motors.
I suppose everyone has seen the E-tec DVD but Im not sure how often ill be having a tug of war with my mates using 4strokes. And so far i cant really find much info on the Optimax.
Are these motors similar? which one is quieter, more reliable, efficient and cheaper to run? And what do people think?

Any help would be appreciated.

bignense

Noelm
22-04-2008, 09:17 AM
geees you are open to some really good replies here, BUT I reckon flip a coin, or buy the one that has the Colour you like and will match your Boat, they are both fine Engines, which has the best Dealer support in your area?? are they reputable?? do they have a good workshop?? are they friendly?? yes to any of those questions would decide for me.

FNQCairns
22-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Personally they areboth good engines although I would choose the e-tec over the Opti. Only because of the sheer number of complicating and wearable pasts bolted to the opti to make it work within spec, like air pump, 2 fuel pumps, filters gallore, sure there more parts are again over and above the e-tec, which is by far the simplest DI 2 stroke available.

I have an old tech 2 stoke and I recognize the low pressure diaphram fuel pump is a weak link in the reliability chain of the engine if it fails before I happen to replace it, the cost associated with the many complicated bits on the opti's force a failure first replacement approach:(

Cheers fnq

lampuki
22-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi bignense

i own an opti 150 - IMO they are great engine, never did me wrong. I know the early models had issues, newer ones seem the goods. In saying that, i just bought an etec.

Are these motors similar? They both will push your boat along just nicely..
Which one is quiter...Etec will definetly be a lot, lot quiter. I can say that fist hand! The 200 etec was noticeably quiter than my 150 opti at all rpms

The fuel consumption and reliabilty is a touchy subject....IMO, both engines would be really good. Im not sure about servicing costs, an argument could be put forth that the etecs will be significantly cheaper. I will be servicing my etec every 12 months, regardless of what the recommendation from brp is.

ozbee
22-04-2008, 09:47 AM
there both good engines and neither will do you trouble but as a personal buyer i would look at the weight of boat compared to cubes . secondly your load factor is it likely to be heavy loaded eg long trip max number passengers or light general fishing. or ski work. bigger cubes will help you with torque at a cost of some fuel consumption. with correct prop pitching these days the differences are minor anyhow.

Dodgy_Back
22-04-2008, 10:06 AM
I,ve had a 150 opti for almost 12 months. The only thing that has gone wrong was the starter thingy wouldn't spring into action, all fixed in one day with no probs.
Merc is also offering 5 year warranty now, so that can only be a good thing.

Merc v Etec is almost like Ford v Holden.

Both good, both good fuel wise but the etec would be quieter.

Cheers

Mick

disorderly
22-04-2008, 10:20 AM

Cheers

Mick

Pretty much sums it up but as FNQ suggests the E-Tec is also a simpler motor.... less components to fail.

Dodgy back....I wonder about these 5 (and 7 in the US in some cases)year warranties...at what point can it be claimed that things breaking or failing is simply caused by wear and tear and age or being in a harsh marine environment..http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

bignense
22-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Ok fair enough and thanks for your comments, I didn't realise it was Ford V Holden thing(relatively speaking), but glad to know they are both very similar.
It sounds like in all honesty they are much of a muchness and comes down to the end price for me, Ill be servicing whatever I end up with every year even if the manufactures recommend it or not.

Cheers

bignense

Wahoo
22-04-2008, 07:17 PM
I,ve had a 150 opti for almost 12 months. The only thing that has gone wrong was the starter thingy wouldn't spring into action, all fixed in one day with no probs.
Merc is also offering 5 year warranty now, so that can only be a good thing.

Merc v Etec is almost like Ford v Holden.

Cheers

Mick

hey Mick, if you brought your Opti after January 2007, you will get a letter from Ken Evans, as they have the 5yr warranty now:D

Daz

black runner
22-04-2008, 07:32 PM
The extra 2 year warranty is conditional upon continuing to have it serviced by a Merc dealer. As you would expect but just a heads up on the condition attached.

Cheers

Vitamin Sea
22-04-2008, 07:38 PM
hey Mick, if you brought your Opti after January 2007, you will get a letter from Ken Evans, as they have the 5yr warranty now:D

Daz

I got my letter last week Daz;)

Bonus

Cheers

Bill

Dodgy_Back
22-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Got my letter too