PDA

View Full Version : yamba action..

acehigh
21-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Heading to yamba this weekend. have never fished off here. just want to know if anyone has some general marks for bait grounds?? probably just gonna target billfish but might try a bit of bottom bouncing if i find some good areas:D

jeffo
22-04-2008, 06:05 AM
daniel? are you going heavy or light tackle?

acehigh
22-04-2008, 08:29 AM
probably just heavy, because i dont expect there will be much light tackle action??

acehigh
22-04-2008, 08:29 AM
probably just heavy, because i dont expect much light tackle action??

mattooty
22-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Good luck mate, what size boat are you taking? The only billfish action lately has been on the WIDEEEE grounds. Directly off yamba there is no close structure. You're better off taking the boat down and beach launching off spookys beach and heading south to chase macks or snapper around the close reefs there.
There is a good chance of a billy if you want to head south and launch off minnie waters or sandon river as there are consistent bait grounds in this area.

But in saying all this, there have been at least a dozen and a half BIG blue marlin taken in the last few months, just that they have both been taken out of a blackwatch fishing the shelf.

jeffo
22-04-2008, 05:30 PM
yeah daniel, i dont think the light tackle fishing is worth the effort at the moment unless your out here....even then its hardly worth it. You taking the tinney out to the shelf>? good stuff.

skipalong
22-04-2008, 06:20 PM
nice effort

acehigh
23-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info. my boat is only a little centre console 5 metres, but i have been out to the shelf a few times, just have to time the weather to make it comfortable. Its looking like saturday might be the only window now to get to the shelf, but if the weather turns to the usual, i will just try those close reefs or stick to coronas in the river...

dinga1
23-04-2008, 03:58 PM
plenty of boats out off angourie over easter and plenty of tuna around chasing the massive numbers of gar in close

didnt hear any specific reports

Rufus
26-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Hello to all, Heading to Yamba at the end of June for a weeks fishing. I to am new to this area so all information in regards to this area would be appreciated. I have a 5.1 meter Ally Craft with a 90hp Merc, my plan is to chase a jew, and some snapper if they are around. We are staying on the Yamba side of the river. The plan is to fish medium weight with both bait and soft plastics. Most fish will be released as neither of us are big fish eaters.

Thanks and cheers, Mark

ryansrods
26-05-2008, 04:04 PM
hi mate you want billfish try the canyons as for bait depeds what you after bait i mean bonnies macks slimys yellowtail? you will get ya yellowtail and slimys in front of lovers point (yamba point on the map i think)youll run in to schools of bonnies and macks on the way to the shelf