PDA

View Full Version : Best fuel line to buy

mungindi
21-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Evening,
I'm just after some opinions on what is the best make of fuel line/hose on the market, I have been told by a couple of people that some fuel lines degrade if they have petrol run through them that has ethanol in it. Apparently the inside of the lines seem to break down especially if the fuel sits stationary in the line for extended times.
Any advice anyone could give me on this would be greatly appreciated

Thank's
Gary

skipalong
21-04-2008, 07:35 PM
shell fuel seems to be above the rest

Spaniard_King
21-04-2008, 07:48 PM
shell fuel seems to be above the rest

Well Skip, is that your opinion or fact???

Not what ACA found through there tests;) as shown just a few weeks ago. Apparently the company with the big star is the go:o

mungindi
21-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Evening,
Thank's fellas but I'm actually after info on the actual fuel line/hose not the best fuel on the market I should have worded my post a bit better but thank's for the replies
Gary

Spaniard_King
21-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Evening,
I'm just after some opinions on what is the best make of fuel line/hose on the market, I have been told by a couple of people that some fuel lines degrade if they have petrol run through them that has ethanol in it. Apparently the inside of the lines seem to break down especially if the fuel sits stationary in the line for extended times.
Any advice anyone could give me on this would be greatly appreciated

Thank's
Gary

Gary, I have found the genuine fuel hoses from Honda or BRP to very good with no noticable susceptability to ethanol. They don't go hard and brittle like most aftermarket hoses:P

mungindi
21-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Thank's Garry
I'll check them out the only other one that I have heard about is a brand called Trident from the U.S.A but the Honda and the BRP brands should be easier to track down. Thank's again I appreciate it

Gary

BaitThrower
21-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Interesting about the Shell petrol comment. I have heard some say Shell petrol and Champion spark plugs don't make a good mix on some Johnson/Evinrude outboard forums. Wonder why? I have filled the last two plastic tank loads from Shell. Might get the next lot from the star, which I assume is the mob that starts with "C" right?

FNQCairns
21-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Honestly for me it is automotive EFI fuel line, made to a standard and rugged because it must be made to handle the pressure of a high pressure fuel pump as well as under bonnet temps etc.

after 10 years buy some more:)

cheers fnq

Kiwijohn
21-04-2008, 10:54 PM
"Not what ACA found through there tests as shown just a few weeks ago. Apparently the company with the big star is the go "

Wasn't that cost not quality??

"shell fuel seems to be above the rest"

Does Shell have a refinery in QLD? I wonder who they buy their stock off :-X

Kevaclone
22-04-2008, 02:00 AM
for normal Unleaded petrol there would normally be no difference between most of the companies as the fuel is usually shipped up from Kernel and distributed around, all the terminals in Brisbane have connecting pipelines for product transfers, Brisbane refineries don't produce enough unleaded, if any, to supply the STH QLD/NTH NSW

As for Shell, their Unleaded has an additive which could be nothing more than a kero based cleaner(I must ask what it is)
7-11 servos are now all Shell fuel(Unleaded without the additive), they were previously Caltex
Red Dog at Kalangur get a lot of Shell fuel

Matilda was Shell supplied until early this year when Neumanns took control of the company

As for fuel lines
I bought my V-Sea with 90hp johnson(I think mid 80s model) a month ago and had lots of problems with blocked fuel lines, there was a yellowish coloured rubbery type stuff in the lines along with some sort of plastic pieces
Not sure of it was the fuel lines them selves or some goose had used silicone at the joins/connectors
I cleaned all the joints, cleaned the carbs and added a second filter, the engine ran ok for awhile but then started playing up again
I replaced the entire fuel lines fron the tank to the carbs and it now runs real sweet
I was told that Ethanol can cause problems with some fuel lines, the old lines were those common grey plastic types, I have replaced them with similar(the lined on the engine are proper automotive rubber type)

Kev

Kevaclone
22-04-2008, 02:01 AM
BTW I have worked for Shell, BP, Caltex and Matilda over the last 20 years

Kev

PADDLES
22-04-2008, 08:42 AM
gents if you had watched "mediawatch" on old aunty you would have seen that story to be a complete load of krap like most stories on the sh!thouse current affairs shows in the 6:30 timeslot. tell me, how many refineries are there in brisbane as opposed to how many "brandname" fuel retail outlets there are in brisbane. same thing in sydney. even caltex were amused on mediawatch at how their fuel that comes from another company's refinery got more kilometres than that company's fuel.

BTW: to answer the original question i've found the normal old black rubber car fuel line to work just fine, it gets pretty well covered up from the sun by the flexy conduit thingo to the motor and stays nice and flexible where i've found the grey mercury style hose to go like a rock.

Noelm
22-04-2008, 11:50 AM
to also answer the question and agree with someone way back, Genuine OMC Fuel line seems to be OK, but I guess almost any known Auto outlet will have good stuff, that does not include Supercheap and the like (but they may also have good stuff)

Noelm
22-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I forgot to mention, Genuine Marine hose (like OMC, Yamaha and so on) is much thinner in the walls and made out of a sort of Plastic/rubber Material (don't know what it is) and this makes them much more flexible and less prone to kinking when going over edges and corners, that is the main reason I get the proper stuff as distinct from Auto fuel Hose.

PADDLES
22-04-2008, 02:27 PM
good one noel, i was wondering what the benefits of using the genuine fuel line were.

sheridan
22-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I bought top quality reinforced rubber fuel hose from super cheap it was about $18 for 500 mm I think. I was sick of the cheap plastic type lines from BCF and places like that which go hard from the sun and start to leak around the fittings

Geoff