PDA

View Full Version : Spangled perch as bait

fishel
21-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi there,

I hear that spangled perch are good bait for barra, but since I don't live anywhere near barra country I was wondering do bass, yellowbelly and silver perch like them? Have spangled perch in the local creek and figure it would save some time when on a fishing trip if I can catch spangled perch the day before we go, if they are good bait.

Have never been freshwater fishing but have found a local who is interested in taking me along, so I'm looking forward to that.

Cheers and thanks for your help

Pumba
21-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Fishel,
Generally Spangles are too big for those species that you mentioned, although I have caught Goldens and Bass on them by accident when fishing in Rivers for cod. If you could get some small enough (Under 5cm) they go ok for Goldens and Bass, although I have never used them in Dams.

They Make excellent Cod bait, especially in some of the Western Rivers.

Cheers,
Matt

bass54
21-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi Fishel,
Matt is right in saying if you can get them small enough that the bass etc will take them. Be shore that they are all ready in the dam that you wish to fish them in as there are big fines for relocating species.
Cheers
Jesper

two fold
24-04-2008, 08:18 PM
fishel you can catch them in an opra house net and get small ones like that.
small ones would have to work i rekon.
purcho

two fold
24-04-2008, 09:05 PM
forgot to add the opra house traps are the fold down ones for reclaws and yabbys
putcho

BREAMBOSS01
20-06-2008, 07:45 AM
gday i hear that if under a float about two feet down they are good for saratoga