PDA

View Full Version : Glenlyon Dam current info please.

whykickacatalong
20-04-2008, 09:06 PM
The weather gods just dont seem to be letting up the rain along the far north NSW coast with dumpings of rain the past few days and prediction of rain over the next week. Hence the trip I planned for Pebbly Beach with the kids has been canned and have looked inland.

I have never stayed at Glenlyon rather opting for Pindari as I know it fairly well but the area is not kid friendly with no grass or flat area and lots of bolders and steep areas to get into trouble and mum would dislike me bringing back damaged goods::). Glenlyon looks and sound more suitable with the park setup/ toilets showers and open landscape. Not sure on the fishing though. I assume normal yellowbelly / cod tactics would be the norm such as lure casting / trolling, shrimp dangling beside timber etc. The kids are 7&9 boys so wont be getting to inventive with lure and bait presentation. I will be taking the bass boat with electric so will have access to all areas.

So any current info on what is happening there at the moment? I have google earthed the dam and see that it has open cleared banks mainly with some timber up higher. Current level is about 35%. Are there redfin in the dam? Are shrimp plentiful enough to trap for bait? And the biggy, how is it fishing at the moment and what on (bait or lure).

Any info appreciated. Hoping to get the youngest his first yellowbelly and if possible both of them there first cod, (hopefully small as they will be using my gear mainly and dont want to see it sinking;D) but mainly just want to see a few fish over the side so they can have a bit of excitement before letting them go.

Cheers Alistair.

BobbyJ123
21-04-2008, 05:32 AM
G'day Al, Glenlyon was my old fishing ground. After leaving the ramp, head out to the "Caves", a limestone area in the middle of the dam. There is plenty of timber to tie up the tinny and 'bob' a yabby for yellas, some good cod here, too. On the west side, the the river bed is close to the banks and has some great drop-off areas, coupled with rock outcrops.
Further north, on the east side the river bed is close to the bank and there is a small opening that holds some excellent yellas and cod. The bank is quite steep and I used to walk along there, casting along fallen timber. Lures? my own, and Knols
Good camping, and facilities with firewood brought in by Brian and Debbie.

rossco
21-04-2008, 06:51 AM
12 lb cod caught yesterday (sunday) on bait, they are catching a few yellowbelly(4-5 morning session) on bait up the far end of the dam (old yards)
biggest problem the last couple of days has been the wind. If you need more information ask Brain at the kiosk or my parents in the on site van with the yellow stripe,landcruiser ute & explore trophy .great place for kids.

cheers rossco

whykickacatalong
21-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Cheers Bob and Rossco.

Rossco, what is the shrimp population like? Worth taking the bait traps? I will be giving the place a call today to book a powered site (camping and laptop with kids video's = peace and quiet for dad for a while each day;D) And does the place have a decent map available with a rundown of areas or would I be better printing off Google earth.

Will head over there tomorrow.

Thanks again.

rossco
21-04-2008, 12:56 PM
They are getting shrimp I'm not sure if they are getting them in the dam or the river (short drive from the dam).yes they have maps at the dam that are ok.
Great place in school holidays with a lot of kids of all ages most of the time.
Post a report when you get back to let us know how you went.

cheers rossco

whykickacatalong
21-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks. If there are a few shrimp around then that will keep the youngest amused for hours each day, anything that crawls draws his attention. Powered site has been booked and the gear 1/2 packed. Will be there from Tuesday to Saturday. Boat is a 4mt side console Stacer Bass elite with 35 johno. Boat has my Avatar pic on the side of it and name two-bob. Any ausfishers about say g'day and give a poor father some adult conversation;D. Hopefully get into a few before the mobs arrive on Thursday/friday. Will post report on return or if anyone else is heading out there feel free to ring me on 0429001685 for current conditions.

Alistair.

kiwi-in-ballina
22-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Mate, Glenlyon is a great place for kids and is really pretty easy place to fish. Majority of the catch is yellowbelly and as you mentioned shrimps are the go. I however hove found on my last trip the bait which seemed to worked better than freshwater shrimp was saltwater nippers/yabbies. I pumped them from the beach boiled them in salt put them in to ziplock plastic bags and added rock salt. Works like a treat.

greyfox
06-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Great spot to go. Went there for the labour day weekend with a mob of fishos but things were a bit quiet. Locals said there were a a few frosts recently and maybe the water has cooled down enough to send the fish a bit quiet. We caught a few yellas and jew but no silverperch. One of the girls got a cod (on worm) but it was 54 cms so back in the water it went. One of the guys also caught some redclaw of decent size in shrimp traps so you have to wonder a bit. Hope you enjoy the spot.

bdowdy
06-05-2008, 09:36 PM
hi grey fox i dont think they would be redclaw, maybe just freshwater crayfish... unless someone has been letting redclaw go.cheers bdowdy..brett

greyfox
07-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I have to agree bdowdy about the redclaw. The one's the club member caught were quite large with small thin claws. Sure seemed like redclaw. Especially after the info we got from some locals about what might be going on. Maybe you have been to my place. Seem to remember a bloke and his son buying a tinnie off me that I sold after the motor had been knocked off. If so, hope you are happy with the boat.

bdowdy
08-05-2008, 11:51 AM
hi grey fox not me with the tinny,cheers bdowdy

Fitzy
09-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi Alistair,

There's a printable map with locations available at http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/glenlyon.htm

I haven't fished Glenlyon for a while but will be out there next weekend, so I can't help you with a current report.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

bdowdy
12-05-2008, 10:01 AM
hi fitzy,ill be there sat to do some cod fishing .. hope to catch up and meet some people on sat night,cheers bdowdy,,brett

Fitzy
12-05-2008, 07:22 PM
G'Day Brett,

I'll be fishing the river with the research team but will be staying in the marque at the dam van park.

Make sure you come up & say g'day.

Cheers,

Fitz..

hi fitzy,ill be there sat to do some cod fishing .. hope to catch up and meet some people on sat night,cheers bdowdy,,brett

bdowdy
13-05-2008, 10:59 AM
hi fitzy, i will talk to you on sat night as im also fishing the river in a research team,, should be agreat weekend... cheers bdowdy..brett