PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tohatsu 60hp???????

Plastic_Magic
20-04-2008, 08:02 PM
I have herd on the grapevine that a Tohatsu 60hp has a set of restrictors on them....Which means it would be the same size as the Tohatsu 70hp......Otherwise would you be able to put bigger main jet in it....Any help would be appriciated.....

Cheers Plastic_Magic

dreemon
21-04-2008, 09:51 AM
to turn a 60 into a 70 would be alot more than just jetting, going with a larger main jet will most likely give you a rich condition at the higher rpms , causing carbon buildup and waisting fuel and prob smoke more, to get the 10 hp you'll need a 70 carb, reeds and cage and exaust tube, if you want to you can try boyesen dual stage reeds, on my 40 hp mariner it made it idle better and a bit better/smoother performace, but did not gain any more top speed, just got there a little quicker, to give yourself an idea if your engine is running as it should look at what the s/plugs are telling you , after a run at wot cut the engine and look at plugs, not after idling though, good luck

Noelm
21-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I would suggest you forget the "grapevine" and be happy with what you have, you will need a proper OEM parts maunal and scour every part to check for differences, then the cost to actaully replace those parts will probably be prohibitive, some times it is possible/viable, but most it is not.

FNQCairns
21-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah it will be in the breathing somewhere then possibly the addition of a different tuner/larger bore carbs and jetting to get that little extra at top end.
Not many engines actually change the porting it's the costly way around for them, some actually do just have a baffle, merc is one I think.

If they do have 2 different carb bodies betwen each, then you will loose a little down low/mid to get the extra up high.

So many ways it can be done, today it is often nothing but a different ecu and possibly bigger injectors.

Best to find a website that lists the schematic and part numbers of both engines and do a comparison -it will tell you the truth.

You could also set the engine up to a grade above typical and as a result have it performing as well as the average bigger hp engine.

cheers fnq

jon80
24-04-2008, 08:53 PM
to change a 60 to 70 it is all done by removing throttle stop located on second carbie and adjust throttle stop on main advance arm from 22mm to 14mm then you get full travel timing etc is exactly the same just gives 100 percent throttle opening . cheers jon80.

dreemon
25-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Plasic Magic, let us know if that adjustment works, really curious !! I've never heard of that, instant horses cool, I have heard that those engines have more hp than the sticker says

Plastic_Magic
26-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Yer wiil let you know.....Jon80 is that permenate fix or can you put it back if you do it and it dont work....

Thankyou Pastic_Magic

jon80
26-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Plastic_Magic

It will work i have been working on tohatsu outboards for about 20 odd years used to race them guarantee this is the only diff can lend you manual if you like however everything else on 60 & 70 is same-same. Only other way for better performance is adjust throttle to 70 specs & buy a vengance prop really work on tohatsu outboards . ( this is a mercury prop ) cheers jon 80

Plastic_Magic
27-04-2008, 07:43 AM
jon80

Mate thanks for your help....Very much appriciated....Just another question....Would the fuel usage be the same sitting on say 4200rpm as it is now.....Is it just going to chew more when you give it a bit.......Mate which way would be the best option Throttle adjustment and vengence prop or the throttle stop on carby......And how much work will it be.....

Cheers Plastic_Magic