PDA

View Full Version : Wives (Hubbies?) and Boats

TimiBoy
20-04-2008, 09:45 AM
So what does your wife do on the boat?

Mine knits, makes food and coffee, and works hard for her shade - hates the sun but loves the ocean.

She definitely WILL NOT fish, drive either car or boat, or handle anchor duties. Fortunately I can self launch and we're members at a local private ramp.

She caught a fish once, years ago. As soon as it came on board, she dropped the lot, and ran screaming to the other end of the boat. Damned funny, but a bloody mess, given it was a 20 inch Snook (bit like a barracouda) in South Oz on hand line, and five of us in an 18 footer. Birdnest soup, anyone?

I had her hold a rod for me before before Christmas (settle down, it was a fishing rod) with an 8Kg Mahi Mahi on the end, 'cause I had to move the boat as the bugger had gone under us. Scary for me, no questions about what I told her would happen if she dropped it!

SunnyCoastMark
20-04-2008, 09:51 AM
My wife used to fish - doesn't much these days.

Instead she just sits up the front reading a book (looking pretty;D )

Mark

gone_phishin
20-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Mine outfishes me :-[ and insists on backing the trailer....oh, and washing the boat too....but do you think I can get her to clean fish...not a chance>:(

Geoff

bluefin59
20-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Mine loves to fish and is bloody good at it and she does the trailer duties as in back it down the ramp while i drive on and off ,she will cook the fish but wont clean them but thats cool . O she also organisees the food and drinks life is good ...matt

Bear001
20-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Well my husband wont even come fishing.

Been twice in 15yrs...and after those episodes.... I've actually banned him from the boat anyhow!! ;D

He's too much of a workaholic to leave his trucks/excavators etc. BUT....he does now come & check that I've dropped the trailer on the towball properly....LONG STORY...But I'm sure we've all got one of those::) :-X

mangomick
20-04-2008, 10:34 AM
When shes not out fishing me she is usually hanging over the side trying to berley a few up for me to catch;D ;D
When we're back on firm ground she usually has the fish cleaned by the time I unpack, wash down and scrub the boat

Rodman
20-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Guys my wife loves to fish but if there are ripples on the water she will not venture out

Ken

Marlin_Mike
20-04-2008, 01:42 PM
My wife drives the boat AND fishes,

But she seems to outfish me when she comes out.

Mike

jtpython
20-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Mine gets sick whinges wines and if i'm catching more fish then her gets up me then whinges som more about being rough then bags me for being mean to her blah blah blah
When i first got boat she drove the trailer into the bullbar of another car so i was well entruly impressed with that
And after taking her out last sunday in a 20 knot southerly she's never going again
LOL

tunaticer
20-04-2008, 01:53 PM
My wife doesn't like boats because she has benign vertigo and instability of the boat makes her giddy as hell and she can barely sit on the seat.
Three weeks ago our 5yo grand daughter asked if we could go fishing in the boat out of the blue. Well by the next evening she had her own pink fishing rod and pink fishing reel and pink tackle box and was holding them pleading to go tomorrow. Ok no worries river trip and the wife said she would come along too!

Now she decides she likes the boat in calm water and wants to take GD once a month out for a fish! Go figure!!

Jack.

Xahn1960
20-04-2008, 01:53 PM
My wife loves to fish, her idea to get a boat in the first place. She's into everything except the actual driving, great for me :) more relax time :)

Bill.

johnny roger
20-04-2008, 06:52 PM
my wife packs the esky, makes my lunch, hitches up the trialer onto the car, drives me to the ramp, launches me boat, parks the car, gets into the boat, and steers to a secret spot where there is plenty of fish. i catch the fish, she un hooks em, bleeds em, and guts em and puts em on ice. she then drives me back to the ramp, reverses the car down, and puts the boat on. she washes the boat once we get back, and then she says...why dont you call a couple of your mates around so we can drink and talk about our fishing trip?

I-BLOODY-WISH-?!!!!!!???;D

Leighton
20-04-2008, 07:09 PM
mine gets motion sickness on the treadmill at Gym. It has to be a glassed out day for her to enjoy herself. When she does come out she is great company, will fish and keeps myself and the dog well fed.
Oh and she was also the one to buy me the boat

kingtin
20-04-2008, 07:23 PM
She's not only the deckie.....she's me best mate too. She drives when the boat needs pulling, backs it down the ramp and retrieves the trailer and trailers the boat when we return. She likes to sunbake but fishes occasionally when the mood takes her and she ain't the least bit squeemish.

When i first met her she had never fished but she was fishing within a month and it was she who bought our first boat 20 years ago. and everyone since.

A few older pics to show that she ain't squeemish and can catch 'em as good as The Verminator ;D

kev

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/wrasserocks.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/skate1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/52cmjack.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/tope-1.jpg

Seahorse
20-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Mine loves to come in boat, but likes that 7am start.
Iam an early bird so most of time she doesnt come.
says go and have fun, so i dont argue and go.
When she does come she mainly reads and enjoys the sun.
She use to fish, but hardly at all now.
She wont drive boat, which i wish she did, just to break up the day.

greg

SNAPPAFLICKA
20-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Mine Is Good For 4 More Crab Pots And To Keep The Nose Down.have To Go She Just Walked In Cheers Snappaflicka

haggis
20-04-2008, 09:00 PM
the misses likes to fish , catches more than I do . she wont drive the boat , the car but always gets wet when launching & retrieving where as quite often i get on the boat dry . she make the food & drinks , buys bait , sets up the radio & sounder & gps , gives me back my money for petrol , bought us another boat & she might just do that again this weekend at the tackle *

haggis
20-04-2008, 09:05 PM
my wife likes to fish , even early in the morning , she catches more fish that me , looks better than me , up graded our little boat for a little bit bigger boat and who knows what she might do when I take her to the tackle & tinnie show this weekend . she gets wet every time we launch & retrieve the boat where as I am mostly dry . she pulls up the anchor almost every time but says that we should get an electric winch . no chance of that as i get to look at her wee cute bum everytime she pulls up the anchor . she also makes up the sandwiches .
god I love my wife .
cheers haggis ..............

haggis
20-04-2008, 09:07 PM
sorry about that the first post dissapeared before i finished it .

Reel Nauti
21-04-2008, 02:21 PM
My wife loves the boat and fishing and crabbing. She makes the thermos, sandwiches and lot's of tasties to eat. She pulls the pots, then hands them to me. She runs the anchor.

She doesn't like rerigging her gear, or taking fish off her line. She's great company on the boat, and I love her being with me. Fact is, Reel Nauti doesn't move unless it's with her in it!

Dave

Dirtysanchez
21-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Nada :-[
My Wife can't stand small boats.. I would have to buy something like the Fairstar before she would come out with me... SO... I make / pack all me tucker and drinks, and unless my son comes too, I launch, drive, fuel up, gather bait all by my self. :-X

Actually I have a stressful job so I kind of appreciate the time out.. she probably does too ? ::) Especially if I take the dog and our son along !

o bag
21-04-2008, 05:32 PM
screams when she gets the smallest bite, and thinks its huge and winds in at a rapid pace, its good if the fish are bitin small or big, shes kept happy for a few hours, and i get to fish for longer, but she wont bait a hook or take a fish off, buts its good to go out with her just for the company

dnej
21-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Liz holds the record on Bill Cortens bar crossing course,for the biggest ever ladies wave jump.
Bill picked the wave,but realised it was going to break,and under instructions,gunned it up the wave,made a perfect landing. What a ride.

Liz has helped me rebuild our boat,is licenced,loves to fish,does he own thing,and helps clean the fish.
Great fishing mate. Cant do the trailer work as yet, but that will be next
David

sharkymark2
21-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Took mine out to the bedrooms for our first fishing trip; I rigged up and baited and cast out and passed her the rod 6 fish later bream 40 and 35 cm, flathead 68cm, tailor 35cm dart 45 cm ; then she says to me are there any other fish to be caught on the beach???? At this stage I am not even rigged up............ so muttering under my breath yes------ marlin, tuna she announces that she has another one..... big sole. She has continued to consistently out fish me while learning how to fish herself. We have new rules in the boat...... all the cod, Sweetlip, and mackerel are hers even if my mates come out and fish with me ;). She cleans and fillets them better than I do and having owned her own Chinese Restaurant she cooks them like a dream. She has me organized with a list up on the wall and has everything ready for me to load up as I am doing that she organizes all the food. I end up with a 3 course meal out in the boat!!!!!! Its obvious why the mates don't come out a lot anymore :).

sharkymark2
21-04-2008, 08:48 PM
I left out the other night.... I am watching tv and she asks me if I want to go fishing. Well later as i am pulling in a 48cm squire she says to me " do you know that Bundy rum is on special we better get a couple of bottles before it goes back to normal pricing" I turn around to her and say Edith---- I love you. HA HA HA. Who would believe a woman would say those things but it is true :). I think shes a keeper. :).

gawby
21-04-2008, 09:27 PM
My wife loves fishing and going out in the boat in the broad water
or in moreton bay.
She will not go with me out through the seaway.
She ties her own hooks, baits her own hooks and takes off her fish.
She packs a wicked lunch and drinks like a fish while we are out.
She backs the boat down the ramp and retrieves as well.
She pays for the boat out of her pay packet and has said we need to trade
the yalta for a bigger one at the tinnie show.
Do you hear me complaining.
Graeme

pubgolf
21-04-2008, 09:47 PM
My wife and nine year old are permenant fixtures in the boat. She will drive only when im throwing the cast net. That ussually ends in an argument (because I not she is Stressed. ha ha me stressed in a boat). She offers to put the pick down or pull it up when ive almost finished the job. She catches some good fish. My Daughter well theres another story, lets just say that Squid ink and white painted boats dont mix.

:thumbsup:

Rod

PinHead
22-04-2008, 04:33 AM
mine enjoys just being out on the boat..as long as it is calm..some wine ..some food..occassionally wet a line..best part is..she chooses and buys the boat.