PDA

View Full Version : Boatyards My take

Titanic
19-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I have now owned three boats over a period of twelve years. I am a moderate fair weather sailor who just likes the freedom that boating gives me to get away from suburbia for a few hours. It has been a progression from an old hull and motor to then a new motor . I then bought a Stacer ready to go but then have just returned to what is in my opinion for my use the ideal boat.
Right from day one my experiences with the Industry have been somewhat mixed.
I have come to the opinion that boatyards are basically no different to car yards in their operation in both sales and servicing.. It is also apparent that there are boatyards that you should patronize and others that you should totally avoid. The problem of course is knowing which is which.

Some things I have learned

If you have paid $300 for a major service and the plugs have not been replaced or even removed for checking then you have been taken. This is a boatyard to avoid. This was on my first boat and I now know a lot more than I did then.

If you can always buy a hull that is built locally (not easy in the west) as warranty work can be carried out by the builder and not by someone who could have never worked on your hull before.

If the dealer has to use a subcontractor to effect a repair ( such as I had with screens that had crazed ) ask whether the repairer has ever made the screens before. If not get on to the manufacturer to supply new screens. If you do not you will get to see how little your dealer cares about your problem and it will take months to resolve . I was at one stage accused of cleaning perspex screens with acetone by the dealer.

Warranty is only as good as the repairers ability to do the job and with this in mind before taking it to any dealer ring the manufacturer and ask them who they feel is best suited to fix the problem.

If a dealer tells you he gets paid far more for private work than he does for warranty work find another dealer as his priorities are not with your boat.

Always pick a dealer who can tank test the motor to the revs where a motor fault is appearing or is close to a water source to water test the boat.

Never believe because someone is a dealer and they say they have the equipment and expertise to fix the fault that they can.

I still have an ongoing problem with my motor and it is still in the repair shop .
It has sat there for a week now waiting on plugs . I was told they were on backorder and it was not known when they would be available .
It is apparent that the dealer and manufacturer do not see this as a priority . I contacted another dealer myself who had plenty on the shelf, I went and bought them and delivered them to the repairer. I am now being told next wednesday is when he can schedule my boat in to fit the plugs remap it and water test.
My motor is obviously not a priority

Choose your dealer/repairer very carefully

Spaniard_King
19-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Unfotunately Titanic in most cases there isn 't a multitude of dealers located around where everyone lives. So choosing your brand on initial purchase becomes a far more concern than who to chose when it becomes necessary for service and repair:)

PinHead
19-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I must be lucky because I have nothing but praise for the 2 dealers I have bought boats from in the past 3 years...and neither were localy built.

skipalong
19-04-2008, 01:35 PM
they just rip you off

SunnyCoastMark
19-04-2008, 01:43 PM
they just rip you off

"they"? - who are "they"? Generalisations are not helpful.::)

Have you had a bad experience with a dealer skipalong? If so - share your story.

Mark

CreelReaper
19-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey guys,
I feel for you Titanic. It can be very frustrating when after sales service/repairs do not appear to be up to scratch. I think we can all testify to some bad dealings in all aspect of sales not just the marine environment. All I can suggest is that you try a number of service providers until you find one that you are happy with. Talk to them as an individual and explain your circumstances. When you have found that 'good' one stick by him and let him know you will help his business by passing on a good word on his behalf. Don't lose too much heart mate, I am sure the next time you are onto that 'monster' fish you will be happy
Mark.....too true, blind scuttlebutting does not do anybody any good. Constructive discussion is always the best way to alert others to the pitfalls you can experience and want to share.

BaitThrower
19-04-2008, 06:18 PM
What plugs do you need?

MarkDiver
19-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Unfotunately Titanic in most cases there isn 't a multitude of dealers located around where everyone lives. So choosing your brand on initial purchase becomes a far more concern than who to chose when it becomes necessary for service and repair:)

Garry
True about the limited choice of dealers! There have been similiar forums previously touching the same topic.
Experience & hindsight...it's NOT that easy especially when you don't know the boatyards/dealers too well initially! You ARE going to bump your head, it's part of the learning curve unless you have unlimited funds to purchase new and this still won't gaurantee good service.
I guess it would help (as you said on the 'initial purchase') to get someone (with local knowledge) with experience to give a hand and advice with the inspection prior to purchase.

Titanic
19-04-2008, 10:37 PM
What plugs do you need?

I have bought the plugs myself and delivered to the dealer. He was just going to sit on his backside till the backorder came in. BRP told me the plugs would not hit OZ until the 28th . The dealer could not give a stuff and was only interested in what his computer told him .
Chain of events....... I spoke to the dealer in the morning his reply "plugs on backorder do not know when they will be in". I spoke to BRP in the afternoon "dealer is telling the truth plugs will not be available till the 28/4. I buy the the plugs off the shelf from another dealer and deliver them to the dealer fixing ( to be proved) my boat and place them on his counter and say here !. Dealer then tells me the plugs he has ordered will be in monday as his computer now tells him the plugs are no longer on back order. Now someone is telling lies I have reached the point where I have decided the patient, polite lets give someone the benefit of the doubt attitude does not work. I have now reached the lets start yelling and screaming stage and maybe that will get some results.

Xahn1960
20-04-2008, 12:53 AM
One of the wonderfull things about forums like this one is the ability to gain a lot of valuable info about various manufacturers and dealers from reading threads like this one or asking questions in your own thread.

Titanic I wish you the best of luck with your motor, sounds like your dealer has no interest in repeat business. I like your comparison with cars yards though, too true unfortunately.

Bill.

BaitThrower
21-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Yep good service is hard to come by it seems these days.
But seriously, just learn to change your own plugs. Its childs play and you can get the tools for less than $10 to do it and only takes a minute each plug.