PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Boat - Advice for Novice

riverwolf
18-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm looking at buying my first boat. A friend of a friend at work is selling his and I'm going for a test drive tomorrow. It's an older Stacer 3.9 seasprite tinnie, with a Yamaha 20hp on the back (about 8 years old). Want's $3,100. Looked at it out of the water already. Looks good, bimini top, marine floor, etc. Trailer is also in good nick (no rust).

Just one concern was at the front just off to the side of the bow weld join I noticed a gash about 15cm long had been bogged up with some form of hard resin. Current owner didn't make repair.

Wondering whether the asking price sound reasonable and are there any issues with the repair that has been made - ie. should I patch weld over the bog or something? Also any advice about what to look for while on the water tomorrow would be great. :-/

Mrs Ronnie H
19-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi
Possibly a good price if you want second hand. Just make sure you get it checked out properly by someone who knows, especially the motor. If you are unsure about the boat repair phone around somw boat repairers to get an idea of the cost, etc.

Nothing wrong with second hand as long as you check everything out before you buy it. Think about whether you want secondhand as well.

Me personally-- I have had and still have a second hand boat but she is up for sale now. Nothing wrong but we are at the stage where we want something smaller and brand new. This will be our last boat so its time for Brand new and sorry I never gave it more thought to start with.

Ronnie

BaitThrower
19-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Depending on condition it could be a good buy, or it could be a bad one. Its a buyer's market at moment and lots of good tinnies pretty much fully fitted out with everything are going for less than that.

Also, I make a rule never to do business with friends, or a friend of a friend either for that matter.

My suggestion is have a good looka round at what is available on the boat market first. You might find something twice as good for same price, you might not, but you would be kicking yourself later if you did :)