PDA

View Full Version : 17' Penguin restore blog

Dinga04
17-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey guys and gals,
This is my first post. I have just purchased a mid to early 80's?? Penguin Phantom as a winter project. This is my first power boat/ money pit. I've had a bit of experience restoring sail boat but nothing serious.

My plans for this boat are to completely strip and redo the interior. I'm not keen to paint the exterior yet as I know how much work is involved. Make the interior usable and looking good and get a new set of windscreens, then do a paint job next winter.

The trailer is 5 years old and the engine is a '92 mercury 100hp. Can anyone confirm the year, so I can get a workshop manual?? The serial number is OD238940. I would also like to know what the tube is sticking out of the leg, it is currently only 200mm long. I already have a speed transducer on the transom (not that it is working)

I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for you all as the project goes on. Does anyone have any features they wish they had on there boat that I could incorporate into mine?? I will mostly be using the boat for fishing and general cruising/holidays and some waterskiing/biscuiting.

Also does anyone know where to get the fender/rubbing strip for the seams? BCF was useless!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all in advance,

Dinga

Angla
17-04-2008, 10:42 PM
This certainly sounds like an interesting thread but we will need pictures at every turn so that your choices can be confirmed.

Thanks in advance for them too

Chris

Last Cast
17-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Dinga 04 are you in WA? Have you got a pic of your Penguin Phantom? Best boats on the Water I reckon but I am biased :) The Boat Rego Number should give you an idea of the age of the Boat if you ring DPI, l'm curious what yours is so we can compare. There are a couple of Penguin Pahntoms down in Rockingham too. Have got a little history about them if you interested.

Dinga04
17-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Sorry, had a little trouble uploading photo's, they should be there now. Last cast....Yes I'm in WA, in baldivis. That would be good to learn a bit of history on the boats, well that will have to do untill... the one that got away stories anyway. Good to know that other penguins are around.

I like the access in the middle of your screen, mine doen't have that and I imagine that would be annoying come time to setting the anchor. Trouble is my windscreen has a fold in the middle which prevents the hing lifting straight up. I can do it but it will look ugly.

Last Cast
17-04-2008, 11:18 PM
The access in the middle of the screen was on it when i bought the boat & is a little ugly around the hinges, but is alot better than trying to get up through the small hatch at the bow. (turned this into an anchor well) The rub strip I replaced with a rubber one from Bias Boating in Claremont. Another good shop was Whitworths marine just down the road from Bias. BCF are next to useless here in Rockingham anyway. I am in your area too sent you a pm . Dont know much about your motor but the Penguin is 30+ years old with that rego no. Dpi will be able to give you a year based on your rego no to within 6 months. My Boat is a work in progress too but started out the same as yours, they are a great little boat in my opinion :)

BM
18-04-2008, 07:23 AM
OD serial number would be approx 1992 and the top cowl has the right decal. With an OD serial your top cowl will come off as one piece. A catch at the front of the engine and two levers that pull outwards at the rear sides of the cowl.

The hull looks 70's to me, unless Penguin were a little slow on updating their styling (we don't see many of them on the East Coast).

The tube protruding from your leg is black and about 3mm internal diameter, yes? This is the pickup to drive a speedo. Plug in your pitot tubing and run it up to the dash and conect to a standard water driven speedo.

And welcome to Ausfish by the way.

Cheers

Dinga04
04-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the hints so far. I have since discovered that Bias and Whitworths have some pretty good deals going on.

Update time, I have stripped the insides of the hull, including removing the midship bulkheads which were rotten. I also discovered the seats were actually computer chairs with the base fibreglassed to the deck. (See pics).

I discovered that a diamond blade on an angle grinder works wonders cutting fibreglass. But what do you lot recommend for cutting/grinding plywood that a jigsaw can't get to??? The diamond blades does the job, albiet slowly.

Next question...... The hole in my transom above the old auxilary bracket has let a bit of water in over the years. The plywood area surrounding the hole is weak. I have checked the rest of the transom and it looks ok. (I cut 2 inspection holes in the rear floor) What do you all recommend I do???

a) Leave the ply as is, seal up any holes in transom
b) Grind a square of the rotten wood out and replace with new section
c) glue and glass an additional thickness of ply on top of existing

I'm just a bit concerned the first time I do a beach start on the waterski I will pull a chunk out of the transom

Thanks in advance

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh231/hrc25/Boat/StrippedCabin.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh231/hrc25/Boat/StrippedStern.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh231/hrc25/Boat/OuterTransom.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh231/hrc25/Boat/InnerTransom.jpg

Last Cast
11-05-2008, 08:59 PM
g'day Dinga, dont have the answer to that question, sorry mate but there is a guy in Port Kennedy that does glass work . I can try & find his number if you like?
Looks like youve been hard it :)