PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Strangest Boat You've Seen?

Poodroo
17-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi all,
Whilst out and about today on the Bayside I saw a tinny in tow which I would love to have seen in action. It looked around the 3.7 -3.9 metre in size with a centre console but what really had me looking was the twin outboard set up on the back. Thought to myself "Now there is something you don't see every day!" A twin powered tinny. :P Obviously the outboards weren't huge but I didn't get to see the power of them. Probably about 9 hp each at a guess. Would love to see how it goes out of curiosity. The name of the boat was "Wet Spot" ;D

So what is the strangest boat you have seen?

Poodroo

tigermullet
18-04-2008, 08:13 PM
This one. Couldn't help but take a photograph a couple of years ago at the Pin. It looks like a butter box on floats. But, just in case I have offended the owner, I think it's cute;D

mowerman
18-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I havent got a photo but Im sure there are plenty of people on this site who have seen the yellow submarine on the back of the houseboat? in Tingalpa creek

Rod

chewy01
18-04-2008, 09:50 PM
with some of the hillbillys i take fishing probably mine lol

fivefishes
18-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Strange boats??

There's a commercial fishing boat based in Bowen that's made of concrete, seriously, no photo's but well worth a giggle.

Matt

on-one
18-04-2008, 10:00 PM
It would have to be seeing starship http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=115416&highlight=starship arrive at speed and then lift the flapy bit at the back - tigermullet, any word on what's happened to it since the sinking?

Horse
18-04-2008, 10:01 PM
I havent got a photo but Im sure there are plenty of people on this site who have seen the yellow submarine on the back of the houseboat? in Tingalpa creek

Rod

The Houseboat itself in Tingy would have to me up there;D

Leighton
18-04-2008, 10:10 PM
There is a house boat parked near the Sundale Bridge on the GC, it cosists of a grass hut on a barge Hull, there is also the Floating Chappel that gets around

Tangles
18-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Something ive seen towed around redlands the last couple of days, its looks like a caravan shaped like a boat, buggered if i know if its for real or not... a caravan submarine...

mike

tunaticer
18-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I once saw a fair dinkum caravan about 25 feet i guess chained down to a set of pontoons for a floating holiday up in the Hinchinbrook Channel a good many years ago now. I thought the guy must be barging it across to somewhere to set up an onsite van, but no he was camping on the water in the caravan. gotta be about 15 or more yrs back now, when you could get away with something like that.

Jack.

tigermullet
19-04-2008, 05:07 AM
It would have to be seeing starship http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=115416&highlight=starship arrive at speed and then lift the flapy bit at the back - tigermullet, any word on what's happened to it since the sinking?

The starship is on the beach at Jacobs Well about 300 metres north of the VMR. I haven't seen much activity lately but I haven't been down there very often during summer. Jacobs Well + summer = Bug City.;D

Prior to slipping under the water, the flappy bit was fixed in the open position and and an extra 'room' added. It was beginning to look pretty good from a distance with its new paint scheme.

I hope it eventually floats because it adds to the 'flavour' of the mooring but it will need a very high tide to do so.

Seeing it under water was horrific especially after the work the owner had put into the modifications and painting.

I like to see unconventional boats but wouldn't own one, preferring instead trusty old bay cruisers and cruising cats.

BaitThrower
19-04-2008, 07:28 AM
There used to be something like the Starship (maybe it was the same one?) anchored down the Gold Coast in the Southport broadwater near the Gold Coast Highway bridge for years. This was probably a good 15 years ago now, maybe more. Very odd shaped houseboat that looked very similar to Starship.

BaitThrower
19-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Hi all,
Whilst out and about today on the Bayside I saw a tinny in tow which I would love to have seen in action. It looked around the 3.7 -3.9 metre in size with a centre console but what really had me looking was the twin outboard set up on the back. Thought to myself "Now there is something you don't see every day!" A twin powered tinny. :P Obviously the outboards weren't huge but I didn't get to see the power of them. Probably about 9 hp each at a guess. Would love to see how it goes out of curiosity. The name of the boat was "Wet Spot" ;D

So what is the strangest boat you have seen?

Poodroo

Well, there are times I wish I had two motors on my tinnie to get me back to ramp when main motor had died. Which begs the question... why was not at least one motor running. Sounds like they ran out of fuel, or battery. Both cardinal sins! ::) Most likely fuel if they were 9hp - probably pull starts no doubt?

Brumby
19-04-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm with Tiger Mullet, I wouldn't want to own some of the funnies, but they sure add character to our waterways, here are a couple I've seen around on the Broadwater:

griz066
19-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Redneck houseboat

tigermullet
19-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Lol! Bring on more photos like the 'Redneck Houseboat'

I'd like to get a closer look at the sleek thing held off its pontoons (?) by diagonal slats {posted by Brumby}

The starship used to be kept at the Gold Coast and arrived at Jacobs Well many years ago. It has had a few owners. Someone from down there tried to get me interested in buying it in 1997 because it was up for sale for $10,000 and came with an almost new pair of 70hp motors. The motors were worth almost that amount at the time but I couldn't really imagine having something so unusual. Neither could my wife. She almost fainted when I mentioned the deal.

Brumby
19-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Some more. That houseboat was down in Bums Bay about 18 months ago, the other more professional job is for earthrace, the round the world record project.

tigermullet
19-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks, actually I wouldn't mind owning that 'houseboat' it does look interesting enough to tempt me away from traditional styles. Very stylish. I could look rather butch in one of those.

Where is Bums Bay?

marty+jojo
19-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Anyone seen choppa's boat??? It has a massive rear spoiler, like a lancer;D ;D
STRANGE!!!!
Marty.

dreemon
19-04-2008, 10:54 AM
had a neighbour that had a 4 m tinny, put a centre console on it and fitted rear pods to the transom so that it could float an old 80 hp johnno, he claimed it did 120 klms and chine walked all the time, don't know about the 120 klms !

Brumby
19-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Where is Bums Bay?

Beacon to Beacon calls it the Marine Stadium, at the Spit. Normally a couple of liveaboards lurking there. Actually got to admire the couple of people who do manage to exist around the Gold Coast on their own terms, met a woman a while ago who has done just that for nearly 10 years. She moves on every month or so, which is enough for the authorities not to get excited.

Different matter if there were 100's of them cluttering the anchorages I suppose.