PDA

View Full Version : bent prop, need help

bevan smith
17-04-2008, 08:19 PM
my old man bent my stainless prop, was quoted $1000.00 to get it fixed from the place i brought my boat from, sounds like a rip off to me, its a Veng 13" 1/8R16. what would a new one cost ? im in mackay. are they hard to fix yourself ? any info would be great.

FNQCairns
17-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Your joking right!!! a crappy Vengeance and they are going to charge you $300 more than a new one to fix the old! I would be very sly over parting with any future money toward that mob, if only for my self respect.

Think there is that exact prop for sale here $400.

cheers fnq

legless
17-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Mate ,one word SOLAS...best around and work out of Brisbane area. Just google them and you will see what iam talking about.. Nothing but helpful. Good Luck

BM
17-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Vengeance is a base model stainless from Mercury. They are not worth close to $1000 so the quote you have received is highway robbery....

Roughasguts
18-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Can I fix it for half that.
Mate stick it on a pipe in a vice, and heat it up until the blade glows a bit then use your bigest shifter and tighten the jaws nice and tight around the blade you wan't to re-shape, and start levering it in to shape from there.

Kleyny
18-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Can I fix it for half that.
Mate stick it on a pipe in a vice, and heat it up until the blade glows a bit then use your bigest shifter and tighten the jaws nice and tight around the blade you wan't to re-shape, and start levering it in to shape from there.

can you do that with stainless. i was always under the impression when you heated stainless it becomes brittle. (but i have been wrong before:P ;D )

neil

Roughasguts
18-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Neil, if Stainless got brittle when you heated it then the welds wouldn't hold.

But yeah getting the colour right when you heat it is important aparently.
I was asking many questions to a stainless steel fabricator during there long contract with us.

Aluminium don't like heat I can tell you, Buggered that up many times with heat.

SeaHunt
18-04-2008, 10:33 AM
I got the same prop on my boat and I got them to throw it in for nix when I was buying it (along with other things) so I can't see it's worth over $1000.
Cut your losses and put on a new alloy prop, wont cost you much over $250, you will probably not even notice the difference and it could save your gearbox in the future.
Speaking of gearboxs, I cant see you doing major damage to a SS prop without hurting something else as well.:P

honda900
18-04-2008, 10:52 AM
There is also performance propellers in Brisbane, who do prop repairs, and tuning had a couple of nics fixed, and a proped tuned for $50, good service.

Regards
Honda

bevan smith
18-04-2008, 11:34 AM
hoping i do not have anything wrong with the gear box or drive sharft, only got back from work a was told last night, have not started it up yet. thanks for all your replys, will be telling the people to jam it.