PDA

View Full Version : Whats your thoughts 1,2 or 3

business class
17-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Hopefully With out starting a massive arguement, what boat would you rather own out of a mono;D , cat ;D or tri-hull;D when it comes to overall boating capabilities. Eg. safery, dryness, ride, comfort, room and so on???? whats your thoughts and why? Boat must be under 7m;D

Noelm
17-04-2008, 12:52 PM
OK, Flack Jaket done up tight, Safety Boots all snug, Hard Hat strapped on tight, sand bags in place......
CAT!

Noelm
17-04-2008, 12:54 PM
OH I forgot, a 2 stroke on one side, and a 4 stroke on the other, towed by a Holden with a Ford Engine, and a Toyota Tow Bar.

FNQCairns
17-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I know:) What about if your next door neighbor has a boat and he would fish at the shortest of notice all you ever had to do was hop on the boat at the ramp so all costs and bother were his also you got to go wherever you wanted and made all of the on the water decisions....then which 1,2 or 3?

For me it would be 2 before 3 and 1 which would fight it out depending just how expensive a choice I could make, but 2 and 3 slide way down the list when the real world comes to play:(

cheers fnq

Outsider1
17-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Very good point FNQ, often lost in the rhetoric.:-X

Would love a Cat myself, around 10metres would do it for me.8-)

Not sure if I would go Outboards or Diesel shaft drives?, probably lean to the former for overall flexibility and simplicity of maintenance, but have been on some very good diesel cats too.

The question at the end of the day though is do I want that much moula tied up in a Boat?. At present no, but they might change in the future if my style of fishing and boating changed.

Cheers

Dave

business class
17-04-2008, 02:03 PM
[For me it would be 2 before 3 and 1 which would fight it out depending just how expensive a choice I could make, but 2 and 3 slide way down the list when the real world comes to play:(

I am just interested why Cat over multi:-/

FNQCairns
17-04-2008, 02:11 PM
[For me it would be 2 before 3 and 1 which would fight it out depending just how expensive a choice I could make, but 2 and 3 slide way down the list when the real world comes to play:(

I am just interested why Cat over multi:-/

For me it is the lack of hull face contacting waves at planing speed, the tri hulls still have a lot of hull facing each wave, the cats do it better over a far greater range of conditions.

cheers fnq

Noelm
17-04-2008, 02:12 PM
well for me, I have only been in one tri hull for any length of time, and would just about go so far as to say I hated it, and I also have a funny feeling about them after I saw one split and almost sink a long time ago, kind of probably shouldn't but I still do anyway!

business class
17-04-2008, 02:25 PM
well for me, I have only been in one tri hull for any length of time, and would just about go so far as to say I hated it, and I also have a funny feeling about them after I saw one split and almost sink a long time ago, kind of probably shouldn't but I still do anyway!

Its very interesting to hear. If you dont mind me asking what boat was it, and where did it split???

Noelm
17-04-2008, 02:53 PM
an 18/19 foot Stessel (I think) and it split right on the join of the centre hull and the bottom, filled the centre hull real good.

business class
17-04-2008, 03:02 PM
an 18/19 foot Stessel (I think) and it split right on the join of the centre hull and the bottom, filled the centre hull real good.
What are your thoughts on the hydrofield????

Noelm
17-04-2008, 03:06 PM
never been in one, but they seem to be very low in the sides, they get reasonable reviews, never see too many for sale, so the owners either keep them, or they have all fallen to bits!

tunaticer
17-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Single hull for me, its harder to drag twin hulls over sandbars and trihulls would be worse. Shallow draft single hull.

Jack.

Jabba_
17-04-2008, 04:13 PM
If money was not an issue, I would go #1 2700 Cat, then #2 a mono.. But in reality it has to be a Mono #1 then a Cat....