PDA

View Full Version : Mr Horan praises research by MBAA

jim1980
17-04-2008, 09:47 AM
See below for statement made by Mr Horan yesterday in parliament

Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning Plan
Mr HORAN (Toowoomba South—NPA) (11.49 am):

We are reaching the final stages of the examination of the Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning Plan and I want to speak about three things in the two minutes that I have.

The first is that when an eventual structural adjustment package is put together it is absolutely essential that the committee that oversees that package includes fishermen who know 1052 Private Members’ Statements 16 Apr 2008 intimately Moreton Bay and what effect these closures will have on their industry, people who represent the recreational and boating industries, and also someone who represents the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries because it is responsible for sustainable fishing in the bay.

Secondly, I want to talk about the issuing of licences. This draft plan has been put forward under the Marine Parks Act 2004. It is essential that licences which are issued once this plan comes into force are issued under the Fisheries Act, because that act has regulations which enshrine the property rights of fishermen in this state. It is the department’s responsibility to ensure the viability and sustainability of fisheries and to oversee commercial and recreational fishing, so it is essential that those licences come under that particular department.

Finally, this Moreton Bay zoning must be based on proper science. It cannot be based on philosophy, or warm and fuzzy feelings, or taking a straight 10 per cent, or drawing straight lines. It must be based on science. The Moreton Bay alliance, representing commercial, recreational, boating and onshore fishing in Moreton Bay and associated industries, has done some marvellous work with the science. It has done a better job with regard to riverine, estuarine and seagrass areas—which are the most important parts of the environment of the bay. I am asking the minister for sustainability to take notice of this very correct and accurate scientific study.