PDA

View Full Version : 70 Evinrude Died

morton
16-04-2008, 09:50 PM
:-[ my 1976 70 hp fired up as normal today.
after a short warm up pushed the throttle to WOT went about another 200 metres and motor died :(
no spark on all three pots....
used a small trolling motor to get back to ramp
need help to find fault..... don't have a manual on motor
does any body know of info on these ignition systems and tests which can be done to isolate problem ... assume something electric has failed

BM
16-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Its most likely your power pack that has failed. Not uncommon at all.

Part no. 581713 (powerpack 3). Expect around $250-300.

Cheers

Roughasguts
16-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Hows your dead mans kill switch did it fall out just after you gave it full stick?

Anyway could also try cleaning the kill switch as well.

Noelm
17-04-2008, 08:09 AM
'76 Evinrude more than likely will not have a Lanyard/cutout system unless it has been updated at some time, more than likely as BM mentioned, pretty coomon fault (sort of)

BaitThrower
17-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Just went through all this with 1986 Johnno 15hp. My problem was likely the spark plug gaps were too wide at 0.40". Although this was recommended by Johnson to begin with, they later changed their recommendation to 0.30" for many of their earlier outboards. Decreasing the gap gave me a much better strength spark. Probably not your problem, but worth checking anyway :) I noticed my motor runs much better and smoother with the gap lowered, and easier to start too.

morton
17-04-2008, 05:33 PM
No dead man switch fitted ... disassebled control box to be sure.
Pulled the flywheel off .... checked the pick up coils and the power coil visually ... all looked ok
Checked all connections in terminal strips and ignition switch ... again everthing looks good.
Suspect it is the ignition module that BM first indicated.
Before I find another ... can anyone help with a circuit diagram of ignition system and any resistance values the various bits should have
This motor could be for sale very soon ... normally runs smooth and strong .. just looks a bit rough

SunnyCoastMark
17-04-2008, 06:22 PM
It's almost a given that it is the power pack. Very common on those old 70hp Johnno/Evinrudes.

I had a 70hp Evinrude on my first half cabin up in FNQ fishing around Russell Island all day went to leave late in the arvo - got about 100M - all stop>:(

Power pack had gone. Ended up spending the night on the Island - got a fire stared to cook the Catch of Coral trout - (had to throw 2 big spaniards away) Slept on the beach and got a tow into Russell Heads the next day.

When they go - they go - no warning.

Mark