PDA

View Full Version : Tangalooma

Davey1
16-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I have heard Tangalooma is worth a visit. We headed up there last Saturday and got just past North Stradbroke but turned back to make sure we had enough fuel to get back. Went up through Main Channel, returned via Carnapia (scuse spelling) Passage.

Questions:
Is Tangalooma worth visiting?
Is there anything to see of the wrecks with just a snorkel or do we need to learn scuba diving? What else is there to see/do?
Can anyone recommend good spots for a fuel stop along the way? Travelling up from the GC we refilled (13 litres) at Horizon Shores but still didn't leave enough to be absolutely safe. We've got a 135hp sterndrive 5 metre Sea Ray, 79 litre tank.
Are there any particular hazardous areas to be aware of heading up that way?

We're new to boating & the GC so would really appreciate any advice.

fleety77
16-04-2008, 09:18 PM
mate go for a snorkel for sure u can pull the boat up on the island and swim across the wrecks there only semi submerged, lotrs of marine life, u dont need to scuba, fishings not to bad either, sorry mate cant help ya with the fuel but im sure someone here can..........do u have a spare jerrycan??

mirage
16-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Trailer your boat up to Redcliffe and launch from there with a couple of jerry cans. Well worth a visit. We go there heaps with the kids. Snorkling is great, can also go to the beach and kids can play on the huge sandhills. We usually anchor there overnight if the wind is NE to SE.

kevinnugent@westnet.
16-04-2008, 10:06 PM
What's the rough distance from, say, Horizon Shores to Tangalooma? Maybe if we know the distance we can start to work out some fuel usage figures.

Kevin

Mr__Bean
17-04-2008, 03:02 AM
Can't help you with fuel but for the wrecks.....

If you are going to snorkel make sure you pack some sort of fenders for your boat, best to tie up on the wrecks if you can but they are rusty crusty old girls.

Ensure that you take a couple of loaves of bread, as soon as you throw torn up pieces of bread around the wrecks you will be inundated with magnificent fish that will swim right up to your goggles. Best have someone toss the bread pieces around the snorkelling person in the water.

I had visitors call in after having been at the Whitsundays and they had a better time snorkelling the wrecks with the "bread toss" than they had at the Whitsundays on a paid reef snorkelling trip.

Also take a stern rope and second anchor or similar item to bury in the sand if you want to pull up at the Tangaloma sand hills, best to anchor off a little and pull the back of the boat towards shore so that you don't have to swim in (see avitar photo on the left).

If you are going to go on a busy day then plan to get there a bit early, it gets very busy at times.

Also watch the wind predictions, the island can give a false impression of conditions that can change dramatically once you get out in the open a bit.

- Darren

MTAQ/BTAQ
17-04-2008, 06:07 AM
I have bought fuel at Bulwer which is a little township North of Tangalooma (fuel is expensive plus about a 500metre walk from beach to bowser so take fuel containers) - check if you can buy fuel at Kooringal (little township on Southern end of Moreton Island) or Amity (Northern end of Straddie).

Availability of fuel may change now that "Combie Trader" will longer stop at Bulwer.

SgBFish
17-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Great spot.
Can get busy. These were about a month back.
Scott

JEWIENEWIE
17-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I have a 4.2m stacer runabout powered with a merc 30light weight. If i launched from redcliffe, would it be ok to do the trip in my rig. Could i follow a barge over for my first time so i know which way to go and how long in ks is the trip.
Jewie

tunaticer
17-04-2008, 03:49 PM
If you are going to snorkel the wrecks try and to it towards slack water as the current there can take you further from the boat than you realize quite quickly.
It pays to have someone who can competently operate the boat at the helm just in case while others are swimming.

It is about 25-26km run to tangalooma from scarborough harbour.

Jack.

Skusto
17-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I have a 4.2m stacer runabout powered with a merc 30light weight. If i launched from redcliffe, would it be ok to do the trip in my rig. Could i follow a barge over for my first time so i know which way to go and how long in ks is the trip.
Jewie

yeah mate it will do it used to have a 420 stacer tinnie that we set up to go out to deep tempest. but another story shell handle it there a great little tinnie u would be surprised on wat they can handle.

skipalong
17-04-2008, 06:15 PM
awesome place beautiful place when flat, even comfortable to sleep overnight

Almako
17-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I think leaving the Gold Coast and heading all that distance would be a bad idea as the weather can and will change during the day. (long way home in the rough).

I leave from either Comslie ramp on the Brisbane River or Wynumm. (scarborough/redcliffe would be the shortest distance).
I have a 115hp Merc optimax and usually go through about 60 litres return, don't forget once your there you may want to explore around a bit.
I have been there when 40knots has hit the place and it's hard work, i needed a lot more fuel on the way home as i had to stay trimmed down pushing the bow through the water.
Definately recommend going there, and a GPS takes out all of the guess work.

As for snorkling as one of the other guys mentioned, only snorkel on a high or low tide (high is best) otherwise the water will be murky and the current is bloody strong and you won't get back to your boat.

Would suggest not going if forecast is any more than 15knots

TheRealAndy
17-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Jewie

I use to sail shorncliffe to moreton in a 16foot cat all the time. Pick the day and you will be fine. Look for SE moving to NE breeze and she's apples!

SASSYJNR
17-04-2008, 07:31 PM
LIKE THE OTHERS SAID, toy your boat to either redcliffe or the port of brisbane ramp, it's an easy trip out from the port, straight out the beacons and look for the buildings, you can see about half way out, i personally dont really enjoy it there as there is soooo many people and boats everywhere, but the first time is magical, no doubt about it, you will save a lot of fuel by towing it to those ramps and a lot of time and safety, good luck.
how about a trip out there, maybe some of the longer term members could organize an ausfish day or something, im not sure how this operates, im new but couldnt we have a few boats head out and those who want to snorkel can, whilke some others(like me) could chase mackerals and cobias at the m8 beacon?

Brumby
17-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Mate, if you're stuck with going up by water (drystack or similar?), run up the inside to Raby Bay or Manly Boat Harbour for fuel, it's just short of 20nm from Manly to the wrecks, about an hour on a reasonable day.

As the others have said, it's well worth it.

TheRealAndy
17-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I will definately participate in an Ausfish cruise, great idea sassyjnr. Hardest would be organising a day when the weather is good!

Outsider1
17-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Mate, if you're stuck with going up by water (drystack or similar?), run up the inside to Raby Bay or Manly Boat Harbour for fuel, it's just short of 20nm from Manly to the wrecks, about an hour on a reasonable day.

As the others have said, it's well worth it.

Unfortunately the Petrol wharf at Raby Bay Marina is closed, only Diesel now I am afraid.

Cheers

Dave

Davey1
17-04-2008, 08:48 PM
By road sounds far easier. Looking on the map I was thinking Redcliffe or Brisbane port now I know there's a public ramp there. Yeah we're keen ;D
Thanks for all the advice.