PDA

View Full Version : Ratios?

chief 1
16-04-2008, 08:33 PM
For my reels i have one that has a 5.3:1 and one that is 4.5:1,i haven't really thought about the ratios much so does this mean that i can reel in 5.3 metres in one turn?would someone be able to tell me how to work it out

pommy
16-04-2008, 09:02 PM
G'day mate!

It means (I think) that the spool will revolve that many times for each revolution of the handle.

The amount of line reeled in depends on the circumference of the spool. The bigger the spool the more line comes in. The rate at which you can turn the handle also affects how much line you can reel in. Bigger handles take longer to turn one revolution.

Regards, Rob.
Ballina.

chief 1
16-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Cheers Rob

tunaticer
16-04-2008, 09:50 PM
As Rob says, for every turn on the handle there is 5.3 or 4.5 wraps of line made around the spool. Generally guys chasing mackeral, tuna and other speedsters like reels around 6:1 retrieves to get the lure moving fast enough. I use 6:1 mostly for SP fishing for snapper because im not cranking that much between casts bring it in before the next cast. Down side of high ratios is they do not have the cranking power of a lower ratio reel. This becomes very noticeable with overheads and fishing deep waters. It is a lot harder to bring up a kingfish on a 6:1 than a 3:1 because the fish can keep the drag slipping.

Jack.

disorderly
16-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Chief,

Some game fishing reels and even TLD's can come in 2 speed models......essentially like having both a high and low gear...

Scott

Local_Guy
16-04-2008, 10:19 PM
not to mention that the bigger the spool size the more line will come in with each wind of the handle :)

plaztix
17-04-2008, 10:29 AM
You can work out how much line winds on the spool per each rotation of the handle with a bit of simple maths. Dont assume that a higher ratio reel automatically means faster retrieve as the diameter of the spool is also an important factor.

The easiest way to work it out is get the diameter of the spool, use this to work out the circumference ( i use this website circle solver http://convertalot.com/circle.html ) then multiply the circumference by the retrieve ratio. this gives you the amount of line which is layed on the spool per revolution of the handle.

I did it with my sol3000;

Spool diam = 53mm
Use circle solver to get Spool circumference = 166.5mm
Mulitiply circumference of 166.5 by retrieve rate of 4.7 = 782.5mm

Therefore each revolution of the handle turns 78.2cm of line onto the spool.

The handle length as pommy mentioned is also an important factor, but impossible to measure.

chief 1
17-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Cheers everyone