PDA

View Full Version : Frog patterns for Barra

NAGG
16-04-2008, 06:24 PM
OK .... Its fairly common knowledge that frog type plastics are reasonably effective on Billabong barra .... Scum frogs in particular:P
From what I have been told ..... Their hook up rates can be a issue due to the lay of the special frog hook along each side of the body:-/ ...... Though there are a couple of US made types that are much better in design ( do we know of them ???)

Is anyone using these types of surface lures successfully on impoundment barra ? ...
Any particular stand outs ?

Cheers all

Nagg

Magella
16-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Nagg,
The two stand outs at Monduran are the river2sea bullywa 65 and the zoom horny toad

Cheers Foxie

NAGG
16-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Nagg,
The two stand outs at Monduran are the river2sea bullywa 65 and the zoom horny toad

Cheers Foxie

Thanks Foxie

The Zoom horny toad I'm familiar with ...... The river2sea ???

Nagg

Magella
16-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Nagg,
hope the photo helps
Cheers Foxie

birko
16-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Nagg
Try the Jackall Giant Mask Frog.
Very hard to get in Aus, the smaller version is available from a few p[laces but to small for impoundment barra. Think Matrix may have done a bit of work in this area of frog plastics for Barra given a few hints in previous posts. Also believe he fished this style in last ABT at Awoonga. Sorry if that info is wrong Jas
Birko

NAGG
16-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Nagg
Try the Jackall Giant Mask Frog.
Very hard to get in Aus, the smaller version is available from a few p[laces but to small for impoundment barra. Think Matrix may have done a bit of work in this area of frog plastics for Barra given a few hints in previous posts. Also believe he fished this style in last ABT at Awoonga. Sorry if that info is wrong Jas
Birko

looks good Birko!

Thanks

Nagg

idumarrab
17-04-2008, 09:35 AM
sizmic magnum toad, sizmic propwash toad.
Similar to horny toad but a tad larger.

NAGG
17-04-2008, 10:50 AM
sizmic magnum toad, sizmic propwash toad.
Similar to horny toad but a tad larger.

Ok ..... more a traditional soft plastic rather than the scum frog or spro types

Thanks

Nagg

the_matrix
17-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Yep frogs, toads, scumfrogs etc etc have been around for a long time.
Nothing new about any of them.
If you look at the hook setup of a scumfrog, you will see that to make them weedless they have had to comprimise hook exposure.

I went about finding a frog that could be fished in an unconventional manner and with a bit of help from Craig Simmons and US Bass Pro Phil Strader, came up with the Zoom horny toad.

I needed to fish the frog in heavy weed and in shallow area's, but didnt want to use compromised hook set ups. It also had to have certain "swim" characteristics.

In the end the perfect hook was the TT 6/0h 1/8th worm hook swum on a zoom horny toad. Nothing new there but the tecnique is unconventional utilising speed as a trigger to catch these mammoth fish.

During the ABT Awoonga two day event, the word got out on how many fish we caught on session 1 using this method however they didnt know how to swim them and didnt know they were horny toads.
Funnily, after the first afternoon event, Pats t a c kleworld in Gladstone sold out of scumfrogs, thats what everyone thought we were using.

This techinque is new, funnily enough since ABT Awoonga (where I shared the method with everyone during the presentation and the press release on ABT BARRA website) there are people coming out of the woodwork saying that they have been ripping plastic frogs/zoom horny toads over the surface for ages. I beg to differ.

Chris if you want to see the techique in action, and learn how to do it so that it works not catches catfish or gets boofed and not hook up, FDVD #11 has the segment. Should be out in a month or so, and is truley an eye opener.
If you think Dam barra are lazy or slow (like I did early on in my learnings) than this will surely change your mind!

This technique will work an absolute cracker on billabong fish and I reckon on big salties on the flats.
Cheers
Jas

Little grey men
17-04-2008, 02:07 PM
My old mans got an ancient old cod lure in his tackle box out west. It's his pride and joy....homemade ironbark painted frog with a paddle on the back in the shape of frogs legs. Whenever I take new fishing tackle out to him he always opens his tackle box and shows me this thing, like I've never seen it before.
He tosses that thing out across the river and it swims slow and clunky back to him. Plop Plop Plop Always makes me laugh. But no matter how much I hint, he won't part with it. I don't know if it would catch barra, but it sure would entertain them.

SeekingBarradise
17-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Hi this is a great thread and we want to keep it going to get more helpful information out of it for everyone on Ausfish. Out of respect we’ve sent a personal message to ask Nagg (Chris) if we could expand the questions in his thread to include fast retrievals and he said
“Absolutely go for it”. This is a great forum to learn, & this thread has already got people thinking & learning…. For us that’s what the net is all about.

Fast Retrieving Lures/Plastics/Frogs/Bait/Surface or Subsurface.

We have been busy like everyone I guess, but whenever we start talking about Barra down here in SEQ or in the tackle shops the topic seems to end up with this new fan-dangled approach to fishing….Fast retrieves catch barramundi. Followed by comments like. “Have you heard about them mate? Apparently the Barra are going off when you fast retrieve plastics or frogs etc.etc”. Hard bodies, plastics or frogs etc.
“You need to buy a packet of these” etc etc. As if the packet will automatically make you catch fish on every trip.

We have heard this a few too many times from people that don’t know the technique is not new and wasn’t invented in 2008. What was amazing was the lack of knowledge & respect for the pioneers of fishing/tactics in Australia. The technique dates back decades if not more…It just goes to show that History is forgotten easily. Old timers must shake their heads at times…

For Example: I’ve seen aboriginals in Arnhem Land & the Daly River region using flat out retrieves on handlines. If you have ever seen flat out handline speed? You will quickly find out that it’s a bloody quick retrieve. Presentations such as, hooks with feathers stuck to them, live bait, dead bait, Styrofoam used to keep presentations on surface, surface & sub-surface lures were all used, even the good old meat on a hook trick!!! Funny stuff. All of this was being used decades ago. Can we lay claim to inventing anything, when most new findings are often stumbled upon by mistake. E.g. Fish for half a day for no result…then back out in the arvo & while burning a bad cast/weeded lure/plastic back to the boat only to see an excited Barra chasing your presentation. With the Trigger found, you then go on to catch lots of fish & have a fun afternoon.

Because of the risk of getting snagged in weeds, lilies, pandanus roots, logs etc etc the retrieve rate had to be very quick – at times as quick as possible. Many Territorians & North Queenslanders have already been using a fast retrieve as a fish catching technique; it’s just not printed in the mainstream media. Sometimes retrieving just ended up being fast because it had to be.

Tournament: In the case of Jason, Craig & Phil they figured out what lure they could fish in an area of thick weed. It was a great effort from the guys to do well in that event. Congratulations. Hats off to them they thought out a successful approach on the day and I didn’t. To see fish caught first hand rather than hearing about it was awesome fun. . I’ll never forget it. It was also interesting to see people catch Barra on the same day using different tactics to those mentioned above.

The Taylor brothers have also been burning plastics for a couple of years, I remember the 120cm Swimming Garbage Bin they caught at Faust burning plastics...Geese that must have been fun… It was the biggest fish of the event.

I did hear Mathew Mott has been burning presentations for years on Bass and Barra….Including faster trolling….Maybe a few of his mates could confirm this & give us a few tips on the techniques Motty used?

General Everyday Fisho: Even with several million fishing men & women around Australia, we don’t get to hear about the quiet achievers….Then they & their methods are forgotten over time. Lots of good oil is then lost, and then re marketed as a new idea. At times we feel sorry for those who work in tackle shops…The stories must drive you crazy at times….

Another Example: I’ve even seen tinnies on the plane trolling 303 shells, spoons, and the alfoil out of powdered milk tins ala Malcolm Douglas style in his movies 30+ years ago. This speed trolling resulted in Monumental hook-ups with speeding Barra launching into the air at great speed, which was amazing to see. Gear really got tested in this arena. All the above examples give off different sounds, vibrations, splash & swim actions in the water.

Plastics in the U.S have been good for decades. Billions of casts each year from hundreds of thousands of fishermen/women has resulted in many fish catching techniques. I’m sure old footage of quickly retrieved presentations that caught fish could be tracked down as well, which might give everyone on Ausfish a few more ideas!!!

Our point is that Fast retrieves of any type have been around for decades; however it hasn’t been talked about a lot. Speed retrieves attract in numerous ways…. from forcing interest because of intensity of rattles or vibration levels right down to straight out yobbo winding…. where just the speed of the object makes the fish strike.
Out of respect for those that pioneered these methods we thought we just had to have a say in this thread so please don’t anyone take offence ok. Let’s be cool and keep it creative & if we agree to disagree that’s great…at least we are thinking about fishing….How good is life if the biggest hassle in our week is a debate about fishing!!!

Maybe Harro (Rod Harrison) could shed more light on a few Savvy NT & NQ guides techniques? Or maybe some of your own experiences? Or the 30 year old frog soft plastic in your book etc...

Another Example: When interviewing Johnny Mitchell last year he mentioned some of his earliest memories of speed retrieves hooking Barramundi while he was actually fast spinning for school mackerel on coastal headlands.

Just to clarify things… Speed retrieving is a spectacular method… It doesn’t always work… But its great fun when it does…And it’s great that we have the net to share ideas and hopefully get us all to catch more fish. Maybe you could share your experiences with us so we can all learn?

Cheers Lyndon & Kelli:)

NAGG
17-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Jas .... I am looking forward to it ..... specially how they are fished!

..... a recent chat with another Ausfish member ignited my interest in frogs! ....... Though it was several years ago that I met a guy who was travelling from Lakefield NP ( He described how he used frogs with great success ...... with a walk the dog action) ...... I cant remember the frog :'( ( though it was a US bass frog):-/

Cheers

Nagg

the_matrix
17-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Yeh Nagg, as stated mate that sort of things been around for a long time, walk the dog, medium retreives.
I fished Lakefield and Coroboree when I was ten, blokes were using frogs and stuff up there with great success.

This stuff is a little different.
I got laughed at by plenty when I explained the retrieve, you'll know what I mean when you see the footage.
Cheers
Jas

NAGG
17-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi this is a great thread and we want to keep it going to get more helpful information out of it for everyone on Ausfish. Out of respect we’ve sent a personal message to ask Nagg (Chris) if we could expand the questions in his thread to include fast retrievals and he said
“Absolutely go for it”. This is a great forum to learn, & this thread has already got people thinking & learning…. For us that’s what the net is all about.

Kel & Lyndon .... Thanks for that!
As I mentioned to you .... This is the type of thread that was meant to be thought provoking ....... I for one want to know more on what could be a exciting way to catch barra.
I know now ( in hindsight) I would have loved to have frogs up at Teemburra last Oct .... lilly pads that held barra ..... we landed & missed some! .. but a frog could have been sensational:P

Keep it going

Nagg

Whitto
17-04-2008, 07:43 PM
I was born and bred in Innisfail and remember years ago when I was a kid (now 60yo) my father use to fish the Johnstone River for Jacks and Barra these were the days before lures, He use to make a rubber frog cut out of the sole of an old sand shoe (black sole) it's shape was of an out stretched frog on the move, he threaded a substantial hook with the eye of the hook near the head of the frog threaded a sinker on and tied on the Mono cast to a likely spot and thats how he caught his Barra and Jacks, so simple but very effective, Cheers Whitto PS as soon as I can get hold of a piece of 1/8" or 1/4" rubber incersion Ill give it a shot

the_matrix
17-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Considering Lyndons post seems to be 100% directed at me, guess I better respond.
Obviously I have rained on your parade somewhere Lyndon, although it has me buggered considering every time I have seen you I have said g'day, given you a heads up on whats been happening, replied to pm's spoke at the ramp, on the water, during comps etc etc etc.

In regards to "burning". Nowhere have I ever said i invented burning. Only an idiot would say that!
Any barra angler worth his salt knows that speed is a key trigger for Barramundi.
As is vibration.
I have merely pointed out that up until we done it at Awoonga, no-one was even thinking of winding a zoom toad flat out over the surface. Not fast, flat out!
As fast as you can wind.
I dont care what you say you have seen in the territory. I too have been going there for twenty five years.
I know whats out there and whats not. Ive seen frogs and plastics, fished a million different ways, the whole bit but never seen one utilised in the way mentioned.
John Haenke has been filming for 40 years, filmed Harro in the pioneering days, Cords, AJ, Barra Miller, you name them he has filmed them. He spent years filming in the territory.
If he says he has never seen anything like this ever, I believe him.

In regards to the Taylors burning slickies, I still have an email in my pm box from 2 years ago answering a number of questions that the boys had asked, and in it I state how an absolute flat out retrieve at times catches the hell out of them. If you ask them Im sure they will tell you that. I dont care about that stuff anyhow, but facts need to be sourced before throwing stuff.

Tackle shop talk? What else do you expect to hear in there, they are trying to survive in a tough economic climate, and if it means putting spin on techinques or lures to sell stuff then thats what they will do. Grape vine through grape vine all equals mixed message and/or complete bs! Who believes everything they hear!
If your hearing too much of that stuff your spending too much time there.

I hear 150cm barra being caught every other week out of the dams, hence my attitude towards unfounded claims, and or umeasured fish. It is disrespectful to people who have caught trophy fish.

Pioneers? Yep they will always be forgotten by the masses, however the people that know, will always know. Im not sure where you are going with that either but if its directed at me (which it seems it is as this is the 2nd time you have bought it up after one of my posts) then your way off track.
Considering I speak to Jack Erskine every week, Kaj Busch every 2nd day, Harro whenever I get the time to drop in for a honey tea, and that I named my son after Zane Grey I cant see how you have come up with that?
I grew up watching Mal Florence, Mal Douglas films and to this day are my favourite doco's. It was my inspiration,as was Harro's Barra video library and his footprints in another favourite target of mine, the yellowfin tuna,was profound to say the least!

How many things in this world have been invented by mistake? Shitloads!
Who cares how you come up with something, if it works then your a genius in my eyes! I dont care if you didnt mean for it to play out that way. It means you were able to step outside the box, do something different and work with it.
Who cares if it came off because you had weed on your lure and wound it flat out and made a discovery. How does that make you a lesser person?

Anyway, Ive said my bit.
Jas

Dan5
17-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey matrix you know Cord's do ya?...top bloke and one of the best barra fisho's around.........Daly guru for sure,

Dan.

PNG1M
17-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Sounds like a trip down memory lane....

My old man said that when he was a kid near the Richmond River / Woodburn area they use to cut off the handle of an ordinary t'spoon and drill a couple of holes in each end of the spoon part to attach line & hooks.

There was no barra there but they caught plenty of perch (now usually called bass).

In regards to reteives for barra I have caught loads of 'wild caught' barra in PNG up to and over 1m. I used to have one standard approach and that was "Cast then retrieve" with the retrieve usually being quite fast and regular in action.

Then a mate saw me doing that and said I should twitch the rod tip more (like what he did) and vary the retreive. I tried it and it did work a bit but honestly I noticed no noticeable difference in the amount of hook-ups.

So now I do vary it and do both, so in other words 'whatever works for you..!'

Frogs?? I haven't caught a barra on a frog lure yet although I have tried. One heeby jeeby I have is the size of the standard hooks on the frog lures as they seem quite flimsy. A decent barra would demolish them within 3 seconds.

I tried upgrading once to a larger 'Owner' treble but the lure just didn't look right and seemed 'hook heavy'.

I'll try 'em again some day when I get the chance...

the_matrix
18-04-2008, 06:47 AM
One heeby jeeby I have is the size of the standard hooks on the frog lures as they seem quite flimsy. A decent barra would demolish them within 3 seconds.
I'll try 'em again some day when I get the chance...
PNG
Yep was the same problem I had. I dug a little deeper, the frog needed to be able to be pulled through heavy weed (and over the top of it) so this is what I come up with, with Craigs help.
The pic shows the rig (zoom horny toad) rigged semi weedless on a TT 6/0H worm hook with 1/8 weight.
These two fish are around 60lb, 116cm and 119cm the hook stood up well, both hinge hooked which is the nature of the hook.
This rig has nailed many metre plus fish, lost count to be honest and is very reliable.
Cheers
Jas

NAGG
18-04-2008, 07:34 AM
PNG
Yep was the same problem I had. I dug a little deeper, the frog needed to be able to be pulled through heavy weed (and over the top of it) so this is what I come up with, with Craigs help.
The pic shows the rig (zoom horny toad) rigged semi weedless on a TT 6/0H worm hook with 1/8 weight.
These two fish are around 60lb, 116cm and 119cm the hook stood up well, both hinge hooked which is the nature of the hook.
This rig has nailed many metre plus fish, lost count to be honest and is very reliable.
Cheers
Jas

Interesting stuff right there!
So out of curiosity ....... what is the trigger ? Profile or speed:-/
I couldn't see that there would be much action on a ripped horny toad ..... maybe I'm wrong!

Good stuff regardless

Nagg

Barraboss
18-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Jas,

Thanks for showing the pic of how you rig the toad.That was going to be my next question :) :)

Nagg,

I reckon looking at those legs on the toad, vibration is one of the key triggers???????

Matt

the_matrix
18-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Nagg, Matt
A combination of the two. You need both. Without the speed, the fish are not interested. Tried all the combinations, slow retrieve/lots of vibration = no interest. Same goes for fast retrieve no vibration and the response was little interest. A hard (timber frog that Bushy made) got eaten, and we never got it back but the zoom had outfished it by about ten to 1.

I tried all the different ways to retreive the zoom, in the end the discovery was made because the location fished didnt allow a slow retrieve. Once it kicked in about flat out the fish went mental for a good 3 months right up to and after the water rose.

Prior to fishing topwater I had caught a few fish in this area on texas rigged slickies, but the results were average.
Although theres way more to discover here (seeings theres no manual) speed is ultimatley the key, but Im sure vibration is the calling card.
Ive watched Barra break off from say 10 metres to the left of the retrieve angle and make a b-line for the speeding toad. They then nose it for a few seconds and commit.

The best way I can put it is:
When a mouse runs, the cat chases it, not so much to eat it, but it just cannot handle things escaping it. As soon as the mouse stops or slows down, the cat is not interested.
Although it may sound strange, this is the exact response shown by these fish.
It does not always work, but when it does absolute hell breaks loose, and providing your technique is spot on you'll be blown away by the results.
It is very technique sensitive, however and if your a bit out in the speed, it will make all the difference.
In hindsight I should of kept my mouth shut regarding it because apparently its old hat, there you go thats what happens when you try and help out.
Im quite sure the tackle shops dont think that its old hat considering the number of them that have sold a zillion packets of zooms after wiping the dust from them.

Anyhow, Ive learned something apart from the frog on nitrous, that is keep stuff to yourself to avoid the cheap shots, so from now on I'll be pulling back and just going fishing.
Cheers, hope you get something from the post.
Jas

Whitto
18-04-2008, 08:14 AM
PNG
Cheers
JasThanks for the foto's, the one of the frog brought home some memory's of the crude frog sillohette he used to make and was successful with, he used sinkers to adjust his depth control. I will definately give them a try, it worked in those days and will work today of course I don't have to tell u that when the girls are not interested on the day u might as well whistle dixie, Thanks again Whitto

NAGG
18-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Old hat or not ...... If you've dusted off a technique from the past or modified it to suit a species or situation ... That fantastic!
Sharing it! ....... Is even better8-) Nothing like the gratification you get from a pat on the back from someone that has learnt something new !

Nagg

Whitto
18-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Old hat or not ...... If you've dusted off a technique from the past or modified it to suit a species or situation ... That fantastic!
Sharing it! ....... Is even better8-) Nothing like the gratification you get from a pat on the back from someone that has learnt something new !

Nagg Your right Nagg, I had completely forgotten about it till it was mentioned, will put it into practice at the meet and greet it should be great around the weed, Cheers Whitto

NAGG
18-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Your right Nagg, I had completely forgotten about it till it was mentioned, will put it into practice at the meet and greet it should be great around the weed, Cheers Whitto

Whitto ..... make sure you let us know how you went with it!:ears:

nagg

Whitto
19-04-2008, 04:37 PM
PNG
Cheers
JasWas looking through my bag of tricks and Ive got two of them a black and a green and yellow, I remember Foxie giving me these frogs to see how they go, Ill rig them up and see how they go around the weed,Cheers Whitto

OverNover
19-04-2008, 09:35 PM
PNG1M - Classic, the old back end of a spoon trick......here is a perfect example of what Jas was talking about, from what I gather your talking about something from 30 years ago, I still do it now.........heard it somewhere, and adopted it, buy old spoons, forks etc from vinnies etc, cut the ends off, I use the handles as these are heavier, shape em on a linisher, drill a hole in either end, swivel on one end, treble on the other, wack on a strip of glow tape, best trevally lure ever, cost about a buck each, I get great satisfaction from every fish caught, work a treat off the rockwall behind Tweed Hospital at the top of the tide, Cheers, Jamie.

PNG1M
19-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Great info Matrix and OverNover (and you other blokes too),

Matrix, thanks for the rigging tips & snaps. I'll make sure I have a couple of those froggy rigs ready for my trip north at the end of July. I wonder if Saratoga would have a go at them to - or even a black bass for that matter.

Cheers...

NAGG
20-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Great info Matrix and OverNover (and you other blokes too),

Matrix, thanks for the rigging tips & snaps. I'll make sure I have a couple of those froggy rigs ready for my trip north at the end of July. I wonder if Saratoga would have a go at them to - or even a black bass for that matter.

Cheers...

I'd say without a doubt that Togas will smash frogs ....... just look at the eyes on the things ( they just look like they're thinking ..... "Wheres a frog .. wheres a frog!";D
Nagg

PS .... I'll be chucking some on my next trip to Cania

oldboot
20-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Cheer up matrix mate we are all listening.

It is just as important to know that fast retreeves have been used in the past as it it to know that a new variation is working with new materials.

I am a technician & I have learned that there are very few entirely new ideas out there, BUT there are substancial improvements made in all fields by slight but significant modifications of old concepts to account for mew materials, needs and techniques.

The background of similar techniques supports rather that deminises what has been offered as new information.

From these posts we know

a fast retreeve works and has done for decades in avariety of situations.

a specific technique works in specific situations

What specific currently available items work and how.

Don't be put off by a little abrasion, nothing ever got sharp without a little abrasion.

Now back to this frog
the critical elemints would apear to me

Speed...barra sees something ripping past & thinks "WTF I cant lett that get away"
Vibration......the legs wiggle & jiggle........" definitely gota have a piece of that"
shape...... the horny toad looks pretty bullet like & problaby travels pretty clean in the water if it wasn't for the leggs doin their thing.

the hook comming out of the top and the frog traveling upright, giving a weedless operation and an exposed hook point.

the particular hook giving a towing point that keeps the frog traveling right.

Is this right.

cheers

the_matrix
20-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Gosh for the bloody record I never said I invented speed retrieves!
Theres enough info here to put it all together, Im over explaining myself.
Old boot, the critical elements are correct.
Over and out.
Jas

oldboot
20-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Matrix mate, there is no need for you to explain your self & I think we are all more than happy that you have chosen to contribute.

cheers

NAGG
20-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Well .... all I can say is that I've never heard of high speed frogs for barra!
Slow bloops , dead sticking & Walk the dogs stuff!..... most certainly

If we think about frogs & frog profiles ..... they just are not designed to be continuously burnt IMHO.

I'm just happy to know of another proven technique:)

anyhow ... its got us thinking8-)

Nagg

eotbmg
20-04-2008, 09:26 PM
I'd say without a doubt that Togas will smash frogs ....... just look at the eyes on the things ( they just look like they're thinking ..... "Wheres a frog .. wheres a frog!";D
Nagg

PS .... I'll be chucking some on my next trip to Cania
Nagg
Toga love em. When i was in Kakky Doo, The bloke in Katherine pretty much guaranteed me a toga on a scum frog if i flicked it under the pandanus on the edges. One of the most memorable sessions i have ever had. He was right, they were every where.!

Cheers
Ben

NAGG
20-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Nagg
Toga love em. When i was in Kakky Doo, The bloke in Katherine pretty much guaranteed me a toga on a scum frog if i flicked it under the pandanus on the edges. One of the most memorable sessions i have ever had. He was right, they were every where.!

Cheers
Ben

How cool is that Ben! ..... It just seems like a match made in Heaven ( lovely fish toooooo in your pic)

Thanks

Nagg

Whitto
21-04-2008, 06:57 AM
I have had a Scum Frog for years, buggered if I can catch a Toga on one, I put alot down to the hook setup as the double hook sits flush with the body but Im not convinced that is the problem. Have had alot of captures with Jackall TN50, Cheers Whitto

NAGG
21-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I have had a Scum Frog for years, buggered if I can catch a Toga on one, I put alot down to the hook setup as the double hook sits flush with the body but Im not convinced that is the problem. Have had alot of captures with Jackall TN50, Cheers Whitto

I think the newer ones (bigfoot) have a softer body & a better hook set up:-/

oldboot
21-04-2008, 10:50 AM
As for the burning retreeve being un-natural for a frog.
I think we need to remember fish are not posessors of a great intelect.

Yeh they can seem pretty smart at times but the majority of their responses will be instintive rather than considered thaught.

Poor old barry barra knows that that froggy shaped thing is good tucker and a fast moving thing on the top of the water is very likley to be good tucker, but it unlikly to get suspicious abot a frog shaped thing that is moving much faster than it should...............untill it has been hooked a few times then it might get a bit more ........" dificult to interest".......then we have to start offering something different.

cheers

Gordie
21-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Frogs hey!!!!!

I am taking all of this on board as I have to find a Barra for my wife next week.

Jas, dont stop talking to us, we need you mate.

SeekingBarradise
24-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Ok “we agree to disagree”…We have agreed with you on hundreds of threads over a couple of years. To focus on 1 thread where we disagree is to fucus on 1% of the whole scheme of things.

It’s like Heals scoring a 100 to win the game that was looking shaky for the whole 5 day test...he walks to the grandstand …all the way up the players walk where his team mates embrace him….expecting a well done from the coach he smiles at him…and when he gets in to the dressing shed the coach says " you missed 1 leg bye today!!!!" Any thoughts of the hundred being a positive thing are now gone by focusing on 1% of the equation...

Don’t forget, you have picked off a few threads on Ausfish yourself Jason...Coming in over the top to tell someone your side of the story fairly bluntly at times... Old and young you haven’t missed them either... a good stiff arm or 2 have been dished out with the other guys in the thread usually going missing from the game for a month or 2 after....but they came back. These guys were easy picking for you ..Sitting ducks at times.... Point is that you have never held back on voicing your side of things...So why can't we have our point of view & disagree whether it’s 1 in a 100 posts or 1 in 10? You disagree weekly with threads on here...& you keep playing the game each week… you tackle hard so you should also expect a hard tackle now and then..

Maybe 1% was directed at you…which you turned in to 100%.....the rest of he time we were talking about people we have talked to and life experiences up north…..relax we were just relaying what we saw. If we can’t do that on a freedom of speech site we may as well live in china and have 2 shotguns pointed at us if we dare to speak up. Every Aussie can have a chat around a campfire, Caravan Park or on the net…

“I don’t care what you say, you have seen in the territory. I to have been going there for 25 years.”

…We didn’t need to watch the videos or DVD’s or get In a “I go up there comp” We lived there for a long time…hate to have to say it but we have been there for thousands of days…But we don’t make out to know more than anyone and we are not better than anyone…Harro who is a member on here has spent many more days up there than we have so he would have seen some amazing things…We love to learn & fishing is just the icing on the cake for us as our work/life is already awesome…We shouldn’t have to be high on a Barra food chain to be able to share what we have seen on a Fishing site.

We have a right to relay what was seen by the whole family and friends….Hunting every day…watching and learning of aboriginals, it is awesome….We always have a wonderful time in the NT and are lucky to be welcome back by friends anytime…The generosity of people up north never ceases to amaze us…they’d give you the shirt off their back….It’s aussie culture at it’s best…

Point: It doesn’t matter how many days anyone has spent on Awoonga, NT or anywhere. From people who have never fished Awoonga to Johnny Mitchell who has caught, helped people catch & fished with friends to catch over 5000 Barra in the Gladstone region as a born and bred local. Any Aussie should be able to have a go at putting some of their thoughts, experiences and question on here.

SeekingBarradise
24-04-2008, 03:27 PM
“I’ve fished a million different ways.”
That’s great, 4 million other anglers combined also fish in many ways…it’s just their story & methods don’t get printed…The wheel has been invented, the tyres just get changed now and then…

“Burning:”We all learn from each other…no one does it all on their own…Many learn lots on Ausfish…

“40 years and not seen fast retrieves”
There is 18 month old footage of the fast retrieve on the surface at Lake Awoonga..It was done subtly so many might have missed it..but it’s there…this DVD was also watched over and over again by comp anglers who did well….Some even took notes…The maker of the DVD might shed some light on just how long he has been using the technique on lake Awoonga & surrounding areas…Guys at his level will most likely disagree with you on several pages of topics, we only disagreed on one point, and have every right to so. Don’t shoot the messenger because we are the first to disagree. Many would have been too scared to disagree that’s all.

The footage is there. If anyone has any doubt just go back through the Barra fishing DVD’s you added to your collection in the last year.

There’s a lot of bluff in your reply….

I’ll pm you with everything else we disagree on which keeps it off the net….I’m sure you will get a few pages from others in the future as well….The best people we have met in the last few years are fantastic aussie…many disagree with us on here which was great because if they didn’t we would have never met.

It’s not the info we are upset about….It’s the approach…..

Quiet often the more experiences we have, the more we realize things we shared in the past were wrong.

Olive Branch: We are up Awoonga now & you are welcome to come around for beers and have a laugh…I know you are busy and have driven past our campsite many times in the past…We could have had the frog, lizard, gecko and many sporting chats over a beer and laughed years ago. We are now thousands of Barra Topics down the road with Ausfisho’s that have called in for a chat. Keep posting because at the end of the day everyone will disagrees on something.

The photo’s are off decades old barra gear….hooks with Styrofoam, line on a stick…alveys & old hand lines with 100lb hand to hand combat line on it. Old double jointed lure & old nilsies without bibs…Even 25+ year old plastic jig heads…the only thing left from the plastic was the tail…We hope it jogs a few memories…

We wish everyone all the best on your next trip.

Cheers Lyndon & Kel

Gordie
24-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Just a few lines in defence of the young fishermen and women out there.

We all read their articles watch their DVDs and as far as I am concerned they are still inventing the new wheels and we are crazy not to listen.

I am certain that it was a young engineer that designed my baitcaster reel, mobile phone, my computer and if I want service or advice on these then it is always a young person who talks me through the process.

Sure, when I read or listen to a young person today on any subject he has experience in, I hear a lot of what I have heard or experienced before but, I also listen for the new stuff, the little patches of brilliance.

I have a young friend who is a saturation diver. They have invented more wheels in that profession than you would need on a B Double.

Myself, I am 65 and will not retire, (slow down and play a lot.) Most of my clients are half my age and I love working amongst them.

Most of my mates are retired ane spend there days studing there navel and driving there wife crazy. We sit and talk about the old days and Grand kids.

But I tell, you when I am not there talking to them you know where I will be. Out there with my son or son in law, hearing aids turned up pushing into a strong head wind, lisening to them and loving it.

Regards Gordon

Steve B
26-04-2008, 08:55 PM
;D
Well .... all I can say is that I've never heard of high speed frogs for barra!
Slow bloops , dead sticking & Walk the dogs stuff!..... most certainly

If we think about frogs & frog profiles ..... they just are not designed to be continuously burnt IMHO.

I'm just happy to know of another proven technique:)

anyhow ... its got us thinking8-)

Nagg

Lyndon and Kel.

The above quote is the same for most blokes (myself included) who post here.

Now, I have read and re-read this thread several times to fully understand both sides of this. I will start by saying i have enjoyed reading all your posts..until now. Sorry. Thats my opinion....as you say, we are entitled to it.

Reasons. Jas did not invent high speed retrieves...and he NEVER stated that once...Fact. His entire post is related to AWOONGA...no where else. He is simply passing on a method with some crucial adjustments that he had worked out. He has a brilliant thinking fishing mind, that we ride off the back of when we try these techniques and catch fish. He could keep it all a secret to win the next ABT, but he chose to share with us.

Pioneers???? Well I agree with you, Aboriginals pretty much pioneered everything fishing in Aust. Slip forward to modern times and all those blokes mentioned are the modern day pioneers of new products and ADJUSTMENTS to existing methods to suit....they wrote articles, did videos and everyone followed...we loved it. These guys put impoundment barra fishing on the map and inspired all of us to be where we are now.

Where are they now??? do they continue to pioneer new methods....report on here....or even do DVD's anymore..Probably, but not in the capacity they used to. They are probably enjoying a social fish, kicking back and enjoying watching the new breed if impoundment guys like Jas take up the batton and continue where they left off. Whilst, no doubt offering advice and mentoring to these guys on the side. (except Harro, he still posts on here which we all really appreciate)......Skip forward to now, and the guys like Jas W, Johny M, Trevor B, Scotty Mc ect are the CURRENT DAY pioneers of barra fishing at Awoonga...IMHO. They try new things, adjust existing techniques and think outside the square....just like the pioneers before.... THEY THEN POST IT FOR FREE...no secret squirrel stuff. I mean, Jas writes for respected magazines, does DVDS he could just say 'by the mag or DVD..all the info you need is in there" but he doesn't. Thats what makes a true pioneer of ANY sport.

My personal defence of Jas, I have NEVER read any post where he has 'attacked' a newby because they are easy targets, in fact quite the opposite..he is always more than helpful with QUALITY advice, and he has the PROVEN results to back up that advice... At best I can recall he may have corrected a 'know all or two' who were giving false,misleading or inaccurate info to the masses for whatever reason. Most of these blokes have been to Awoonga once and become over night experts. Too bad if they get their nose out of joint and dont come back to the site for a few months. If you can find a post where he has attacked a genuine newby, please post it and I will stand corrected and apologise.

Lyndon and Kel, I haven't ever met you guys, nor heard a bad word about you both from anyone. I honestly enjoy reading your posts and fishing reports 99% of the time. For that reason, I really couldn't believe your posts this time.

The result. Unfortunately the top 1% of barra fishermen on this site has now stopped posting tips, proven techniques, accurate scientific data regarding barra and the impoundment eclogical structure, and genuine honest advice. I cant blame him either. I believe 99% of us will suffer for that. Speaking for myself, Thats why I am disappointed most.

Without the input from these current day poineers...we would all still be trolling aimlessly around the basin;) :D

cheers steve.

oldboot
26-04-2008, 11:18 PM
I've been thinking about the particular presentation in question.

the zoom horny toad, particularly when retreeved fast realy does not look much like a frog.....it realy looks to me more like a fish shape.

So I speculate that it is acting like a popper that doesn't pop, the legs acting as a vibration lure and the mechanical shape results in it running upright on the surace in a weedless presentation.

I argue that the fish probly does not identify the lure as anything specific even less as a frog, but more like a fast moving, food shaped thing that makes a noise & is problay in some form of distress.

what do you recon.?

cheers

NAGG
27-04-2008, 02:44 AM
I've been thinking about the particular presentation in question.

the zoom horny toad, particularly when retreeved fast realy does not look much like a frog.....it realy looks to me more like a fish shape.

So I speculate that it is acting like a popper that doesn't pop, the legs acting as a vibration lure and the mechanical shape results in it running upright on the surace in a weedless presentation.

I argue that the fish probly does not identify the lure as anything specific even less as a frog, but more like a fast moving, food shaped thing that makes a noise & is problay in some form of distress.

what do you recon.?

cheers

Yep .... gotta agree
That why I said .... fished slow &, walk the dog ..... with frogs ( never burnt)

Nagg

the_matrix
27-04-2008, 06:54 AM
The technique in question here is utilising a zoom horny toad as a vehicle, nothing else.
In other words, barra are not identifying it as a frog. Frogs do not move that fast.
It is purely a speed trigger matched with subtle sound and vibration that makes it very hard to resist.
Combine this with Barra's inbuilt natural aggressive nature, in which at times will not let anything escape it, creates a lethal combination.

To say that a fizzer, or similar with a blade etc will do the same job means you have not been down this path yourself Lyndon.
If you had, you would know that fishing extremely shallow water in pressured impoundments requires ultra quiet lure spashdown to avoid spooking wary fish, combined with a subtle but exciting presentation that has two components that
do the following.
1. More or less force barra to strike regardless of its mood or hunger.
2. Push a Barra to the very edge of its capabilities in which they become airborn on the strike and swim faster than they ever need to in order to eat.
3. Excite barra to a point where it forgets where it is, forgets its own survival mechanism and exposes itself to extreme dangers it normally wouldnt.

You have suggested that we went out there and in "one arvo discovered the toad because our lures fouled weed and we wound it in fast".
What I can tell you is an incredible, long thought out process that required some serious banging of heads, making protoypes and long periods of time on the water.
I tried blades, tango's, scumfrogs all the known topwaters I could find, and some others that one of my mates made, as well as some of my own but I knew they wouldnt work because of the environment, ie. shallow weedy string water and super wary fish in alert mode. I still tried it though to be sure.
It had to be and upward semi exposed hook, a super strong one at that but light enough in gauge to pin fish. It also needed a slim profile in order to swim fast and track straight. It also had to be light and physically small in order to minimise splashdown. It also had to have nothing to foul it underneath like hooks, and be able to right itself upon landing or be able to work right side up or down.
It had to be able to be pulled through and over the top of serious weed growth without fouling to maximise exposure. It still had to be able to hook barra, a species notorious for its skill and difficulty to hook. (esp on weedless worm hooks!) The result was a hook up rate better than I have ever seen on topwater Barra.

My discoveries are made through a process of elimination, work ethic and time on the water. Anyone who knows me knows that. That way you test and challenge recognised thoeries.
I dont watch other peoples "dvd's" and take their idea's as you have suggested. I bounce idea's off friends, identify with them which in turn gives me confidence in what I am doing.
Thats the only bit that annoyed me about your post. You dont have a dam clue what process we went through to come up with the toad to do the job, yet you found it prudent to say I copied it and dont give credit to pioneers.
Im not worried about anything else you said, water off a ducks back, but the thought process and physical effort involved was monumental.

Here are some pics of the track we went down during the discovery, some of these prototypes are crude, some of them never made it back to the boat.
The ones that made it back to the boat were eliminated, the ones that got eaten were the ones we went home and went, why did it eat it?
To cut a long story short, the zoom horny toad had the right attributes, and became the money bait.
Cheers
Jas

Whitto
27-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Just a few lines in defence of the young fishermen and women out there.

We all read their articles watch their DVDs and as far as I am concerned they are still inventing the new wheels and we are crazy not to listen.

I am certain that it was a young engineer that designed my baitcaster reel, mobile phone, my computer and if I want service or advice on these then it is always a young person who talks me through the process.

Sure, when I read or listen to a young person today on any subject he has experience in, I hear a lot of what I have heard or experienced before but, I also listen for the new stuff, the little patches of brilliance.

I have a young friend who is a saturation diver. They have invented more wheels in that profession than you would need on a B Double.

Myself, I am 65 and will not retire, (slow down and play a lot.) Most of my clients are half my age and I love working amongst them.

Most of my mates are retired ane spend there days studing there navel and driving there wife crazy. We sit and talk about the old days and Grand kids.

But I tell, you when I am not there talking to them you know where I will be. Out there with my son or son in law, hearing aids turned up pushing into a strong head wind, lisening to them and loving it.

Regards GordonI very much agree with your words Gordon, I too am in my 60's and worked in a very High Stress area with young people, I no longer work in that area due to Psychiatric diagonosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (burn out)after 37yrs in the Emergency Services. While younger people have little experience to offer they make up with Great to Brilliant ideas and many ideas I have already experienced I loved working with the younger staff members, We must listen too them as they are the Future, On the other hand they hung on to my every word and listened to what I had to say, There are alot of Semi Retired to Retired people out there with lots of experience and knowledge that is lost to the world. In conclusion we should be listening to both sides of the coin, I know I listen to and evaluate what others have to say and from that make up my own mind, Anyhow enough rambling. For all of u younger people out there keep writing and having your say on this forum I for one look forward to that, Cheers Whitto:D

KING KONG
27-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Guys
This thread sounds like blokes in the pub after half a dozen beers one Guy has all the Barra knowledge and practical Barra experience and the other Guy has all the practical experience with Barra knowledge you both agree to disagree its like one of the sayings that is getting tosed around on here you both are car tyres but with different tried.

But if we readers put the two tyres together and make one great tyre then us readers would then revall in the all the great information coming out.;D

After more beer you both are at each other throat and not achieving anything it is a syndrome call know it all-is-um it is frequent found amongst the male raise in Australian fishing scene there should be a DVD made of it would be a great buy funny.:D:D:D

I think some people some times read into it a little bit too much instead of reading and learning the inner male syndrome comes out this is a chat sight not the local pub.

But at the end of it all there is some fantastic reading to be had and I have enjoyed all the information that as been put up and will be definately be trying it all out next time I'm up that way sooner then later.
The only way I can ease the barra bug is to get on here and read all the good stuff and look at the great photos posted on the sight keep it all coming.

Regards Bannana eating KING KONG

two fold
27-04-2008, 10:41 AM
thats a useluss post if i have ever read one king kong? sure they are bannanas you are eating...............
purcho

KING KONG
27-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the positive feed back two fold your answer is just what I am talking about Pub-chat.

All I wont to do is read great information about fishing tips and experiences and leave out all the bitching.

I was talking to a guy the other day that went to a Bass fishing night in Brisbane and the Bass pro guy said he does not think of going onto fishing chat sights any more to report fishing tips for the above rezone and he said that he was not the only person to say that.

My above thread is all about reading reports and learning some great stuff without having to go through all the bitch stuff to get to it.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Jason/Lyndon they are both write great threads and help me and every other Barra mad fisho out greatly with the amount of knowledge you both have so you dont need to prove anything to anyone thanks for the great threads keep them coming.

Regards King Kong

P.S Bananas are very good for you specially when you are as big as the photo left. ;D;D

NAGG
27-04-2008, 04:46 PM
We are never too old or too young to learn ....... If we choose to dismiss what is being put forward it is our loss only! ...... If we take it on board we become more knowledgeable!
Afterall ..... The best fisher people are the ones that can overcome a given situation / scenario / problem...... at any given moment!
I know I've got a new piece to the puzzle:) ....... Anyone got some more ::)

Cheers

Nagg

KING KONG
27-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi NAGG well said spot on.

Regards king kong have you seen my bananas;D

NAGG
27-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi NAGG well said spot on.

Regards king kong have you seen my bananas;D

I didn't even know they had NET access at Taronga Zoo;D ..... I'm still trying to get my head around communicating with a Gorilla;)

Nagg

KING KONG
27-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the laugh NABB that was a very good reply.;D;D;D
Did you manage to go out fishing on the long weekend and use any frogs.
My brother was up at Awoonga this weekend and manage a couple of Barra nun on frogs but.
Regards King Kong

P.S Gorillas were around before humans hunting and gathering now I have to learn to use the internet to get food.;D;D

NAGG
27-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the laugh NABB that was a very good reply.;D;D;D
Did you manage to go out fishing on the long weekend and use any frogs.
My brother was up at Awoonga this weekend and manage a couple of Barra nun on frogs but.
Regards King Kong

P.S Gorillas were around before humans hunting and gathering now I have to learn to use the internet to get food.;D;D

Dont call me NABB ..... Thats a bank!
OO OO ....ooo . OO OO OO ( you can understand that .... cant you;) )
Mate oo ooo ooo I put up a post in Estuary reports ( Sydney Breamin)

no frogs ..... just prongs;)

Nagg

KING KONG
27-04-2008, 07:43 PM
SORRY
NAGG my mistake past bed time setting on my bum all day makes me tied I have two little monkeys to take care of here under 4 years old.;D;D

Did anyone have a go at you'sing any frogs on the long weekend be very interesting to see what the feed back is.

Regards King Kong

NAGG
27-04-2008, 07:52 PM
SORRY
NAGG my mistake past bed time setting on my bum all day makes me tied I have two little monkeys to take care of here under 4 years old.;D;D

Did anyone have a go at you'sing any frogs on the long weekend be very interesting to see what the feed back is.

Regards King Kong

I heard that you ( Kibabu .... Isn't it?_ has a new youngun:)
Mate .... I've got some frogs coming from the US ... to play with at Tinaroo in a couple weeks8-)

Nagg ( not Nabb;) )

KING KONG
27-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Thats great can you take photo of the frogs and post it I'd like to see the difference to the ones we get here.
You luck bugger heading up to Tinaroo been there once fished of the rocks no luck but so we went fishing up the Daintree river for Barra and Jack and that was great fun I would of loved to have frog with me then would of gotten smashed.

Regards King Kong;D

SQUIDDA
27-04-2008, 08:47 PM
First i would like to say well done to Jas for using a new lure and technique to catch some shallow weed lurking Awoonga barra.Cant wait to see the DVD.How many fish have been caught using this method at Awoonga since the big rain.Was it just a flash in the pan?Will this technique work in other shallow water situations?Or will the weed have to be at a similar stage as before the rain for the technique to work consistantly?

NAGG
28-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Well ... I'm excited!
Some Septic Bass frogs arrived from the US today ..... incl this little baby!25820
Its designed to land belly down , its ultra soft & those Gamakatsus are sharp8-)

I reckon it might do well on our Barra:P .... Cant wait to try it

Cheers

Nagg

PS .... Also got some Bigfoot Scum Frogs

Whitto
29-04-2008, 05:02 AM
I like the look of that, looks like the latest version of the original Scum Fog, Who is the supplier Naggmeister and if u say The Mighty Whitey Im going home, Whitto:P

Awoonga
29-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Frogs er yes frogs looks like l gota buy me some...They must be the new gun lure...Now hang on a minute...2007 Barra tour Teemburra...1st place Slickrigs.....Faust 1st place Slickrigs.. Awoonga 1st place Slickrigs ....Thats three out of five.....Am l missing something here... oh and the other two dams hard bodies came through....Now listen up peoples regarless of the vehicle used ie slickrig...frog....snake...rat...piece of plastic whatever....l have caught Barra, Bass and Mangrove Jack on all of the above...The method of burning works and its been around since god was a boy In fact ..... why stick to SPs Burning works on hardbodys too....

NAGG
29-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I like the look of that, looks like the latest version of the original Scum Fog, Who is the supplier Naggmeister and if u say The Mighty Whitey Im going home, Whitto:P

The not so Mighty Whitey:oops:
Just kidding ....... I contacted a mate in the US ( who does a fair bit of Large mouth bassin) ...... & asked him about frogs! ( I didn't realise that the Yanks had built a sector of the fishing Industry around Frogs:o ) So I asked him , what are the best heavy cover frogs to use ..... strongest & best action...... with good hook up rates!
The Spro ( Bronzeye Frog) is it! ...... But we could only manage 1 at this stage!

The other was the Scumfrog Bigfoot ..... Which is also well regarded ( built on Owner Hooks) Its a bit different than the Scums I've seen here ( big turned in feet .. rather than the multi strand dangly bits)

Both these are available through BassPro shops!

Cheers

Nagg

SQUIDDA
29-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Has anyone done the fast frog thing latley

NAGG
29-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Frogs er yes frogs looks like l gota buy me some...They must be the new gun lure...Now hang on a minute...2007 Barra tour Teemburra...1st place Slickrigs.....Faust 1st place Slickrigs.. Awoonga 1st place Slickrigs ....Thats three out of five.....Am l missing something here... oh and the other two dams hard bodies came through....Now listen up peoples regarless of the vehicle used ie slickrig...frog....snake...rat...piece of plastic whatever....l have caught Barra, Bass and Mangrove Jack on all of the above...The method of burning works and its been around since god was a boy In fact ..... why stick to SPs Burning works on hardbodys too....

G'day Trev ..... Hows the boat hunting going ???

What you've said is of course very true!
Having said that ..... There are situations where most traditional methods just cant be fished effectively, if at all ! .......... We had a situation at Monduran last Oct ( big fish sitting in heavy weed) ...... I tried weedless slick rigs .... but you could'nt fish it!!!!
So in one of my quiet moments ..... Thinking about Barra :-[ Frogs came to mind! ....... And hence the thread!
Burning is just one point that has come out of the discussion8-) ..... & I dont think that Frogs & burning are going to be the new gunn technique! ........ "Just another string to the bow!"

So now I'll be "walking the Frog" , "Burning the Frog" & "Blooping the Frog" when the need arises
I certainly wont be putting away the slick rigs & HBs ....... Thats for sure!

Cheers

Chris

Mak579
29-04-2008, 09:20 AM
For those interested in frogs,

Preview of Fishing DVD 11

http://www.fishingdvd.com.au/fishing.html

Matt C

oldboot
29-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I recon a piece of eva foam is starting to look good, particularly at the prices ive seen.

cheers

NAGG
29-04-2008, 09:56 AM

Matt C

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) ..... Can't wait!

two fold
29-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Matt C

Crikey!!!!!!!
wasnt expectn that!
purcho

SQUIDDA
29-04-2008, 08:48 PM
awesome footage

KING KONG
30-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the frog photo NAGG
Looks like a winner keep us up to date on how it goes up north.
Regards KING KONG

B_E_N
30-04-2008, 02:55 PM
have been told the horny toads are also gun for timber work, rigged the same for burning just cast hard up against the wood and left to fall down

NAGG
04-05-2008, 07:42 AM
I just noticed that Jas has written a little companion piece ( Barra , Bass & Bream) to the DVD #11
A little appetiser ..... so to speak!:P

Nagg

PS .... It looks like the frog is out of the bag;D

Barraboss
04-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Matt,

Thanks for putting up the link... I am looking forward to seeing the full segment, and also thanks Jas for showing us how it can be done.

This site can be a wealth of information, and I for one thank all those who contribute with ideas, reports and feedback. It has helped me and I appreciate it

Cheers guys

Matt

tiges
05-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Found these frogs at a garage sale today, picked 'em up for $2 :D . They're a bit smaller than I would have liked, the body is 4cm, but when the legs extend they're a reasonable length. Off to Monduran on Thurs for a flash daytrip, so will have to get some suitable wormhooks. Interested in seeing the reports from the M&G filter in. Weather looks like being fairly stable for the rest of the week, I'm frothing!!!;D

NAGG
08-06-2008, 08:02 PM
After seeing the latest Fishing DVD ..... I had to drag this thread out of the dungeon ....... Sorry;D .... Its not quite what I had in mind:-/

So in light of what many have just seen ........ Are we going to be adding this technique to our armoury ??

My Horny toads arrive shortly & I already have my TT weighted 6/O worm hooks8-)

Nagg

PS ...... I still think my Spro ( AWD) frog has its place ........ ::) I think Matt (Barraboss) will have a chuckle about this little creature ....... As you can cast it virtually anywhere...... & bring it back to the boat8-)

Barraboss
08-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Chris,

That AWD frog was a true break from the duldrums of not doing oh so well on your visit. I was honestly shocked to see the follower you had from the tree stump after watching you pull that frog through grass, over logs, lillypads and heavy weed , and of course, trees :P but unfotunately not out of a barra's mouth. Maybe summer time hey????

Stilll gives me a chuckle......

Cheers
Matt

NAGG
09-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Chris,

That AWD frog was a true break from the duldrums of not doing oh so well on your visit. I was honestly shocked to see the follower you had from the tree stump after watching you pull that frog through grass, over logs, lillypads and heavy weed , and of course, trees :P but unfotunately not out of a barra's mouth. Maybe summer time hey????

Stilll gives me a chuckle......

Cheers
Matt

It was a funny little bugger hey 28451( reminds me of that Duracel battery bunny) ..... :) With the high water levels & all that salad , I thought it was worth throwing ....... a break from convention so to speak........ but I thought that big tailing girl on the last morning might have smashed it :o ... Oh well
I certainly can think of some situations where I wished I had either the Toads or my AWD frog ......... We had a situation at Faust on my 2nd visit (Oct 04) ..... We were in a boat that had no leccy & were drifting over the large weed beds that existed on the Western shore ......... We had big barra everywhere .... & dozens of them moving through lane ways that they created ...... very exciting stuff for about 1 hour ............ we only had some shallow runners ( pre slick rig days) .... & managed only a couple of sooties
I cant wait till we find ourselves in that situation again ..... Faust or Awoonga , I certainly wont be scratching my head with what to do8-)

Cheers

Chris

Whitto
09-06-2008, 10:08 AM
It was a funny little bugger hey 28451( reminds me of that Duracel battery bunny) ..... :) With the high water levels & all that salad , I thought it was worth throwing ....... a break from convention so to speak........ but I thought that big tailing girl on the last morning might have smashed it :o ... Oh well
I certainly can think of some situations where I wished I had either the Toads or my AWD frog ......... We had a situation at Faust on my 2nd visit (Oct 04) ..... We were in a boat that had no leccy & were drifting over the large weed beds that existed on the Western shore ......... We had big barra everywhere .... & dozens of them moving through lane ways that they created ...... very exciting stuff for about 1 hour ............ we only had some shallow runners ( pre slick rig days) .... & managed only a couple of sooties
I cant wait till we find ourselves in that situation again ..... Faust or Awoonga , I certainly wont be scratching my head with what to do8-)

Cheers

Chris Now that looks like The Scum Frog's Big Brother.....Whitto;D

NAGG
09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Whitto ..... mate its much different to a scum frog .....& its virtualy unstoppable ...... It would have been a cracker on Video ;D ........ but I can tell you now ....... Come Spring & summer its going to get a reel good going over:P

Chris

rivermanau
10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
same as it ever was boys!
http://www.marinews.com/fun_details.php?recordid=25&PHPSESSID=7b8fa10330c10ee7448e9c3c6f77c16e