PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguisher Legals

Ratman
16-04-2008, 05:39 PM
FYI,

Had cause to query the legals on Fire Extinguishers recently. Namely expiry dates.

Called the Water Police and informed that:

- if extinguisher visibility in good order and indicator in the green zone

&

- when shaken the powder can be moved (not stuck to the bottom)

as there are no expiry dates on them (rec only)

there are no problems as far as they are concerned.

They also said that the legislation is quiet ambiguous but in your best interests give each one a hit with a mallet every now and again to make sure that the powder has not settled to the bottom and become cemented.

You all probably already know this. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Mick

cormorant
16-04-2008, 05:49 PM
For our cat rating on sailing boats we are required to have an annual check which we do via a contractor to the sailing club. Survey is the same.

Have seen a few fail over the years especially ones that have been in direct sun which have plastic nozzles so we always keep a second one on board and then after 3 years it goes to the kitchen or workshop.

Oh yeah - read the instructions and lear how to use them. We pulled up next to a guy on fire on the bay and handed him the small one and he didn't know to point it at the base of the fire in all the excitement. Wasted that extinguisher and made a mess then we had to use our larger one as it was handier than the spare small one. If you have to pull the trigger point it at the seat of the fire before you do.

tigermullet
16-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Even though our fire extinguisher is shaken regularly, I hadn't heard about giving them a smack with a mallet. I will do that from now on because the one and only time that I had to use one for real, the powder had stuck to the bottom.

That's what you get for sleeping through annual courses and lectures over 35 years. The courses were boring though and, as soon as some arsehole began a sentence with 'At the end of the day...', I'd go out like a light.:P

Ratman
16-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I'd still like to know how to extinguish a fire from under a cowling?

Mick

Fish Guts
16-04-2008, 08:17 PM
does anyone know a reasonable place in Brisbane to purchase extinguishers ?

Oog.
16-04-2008, 08:25 PM
When fire extinguishers are installed in"required situations" as per building codes, survey etc, they must be serviced every 6 months by a qualified person
This service generally means that the pressure gauge indicates, the powder is tapped loose, and the orifices are clear
As for use by dates, all portables are stamped with a build date and if required by the above must be pressure tested every 5 years -(that could be 6 - please correct me if i'm wrong), or replaced
As for for us casual boaties that only are only "recommended" to have extinguishers, it is up to you to look after them and replace when necessary
Hope this helps
Oog.

Danthefireman
16-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi,
All extinguishers must comply to AS 1851. There are several differant servicings dependant on the time. However these times are reduced in half if they are in an aggressive environment, eg tropical sun every day, salt air etc. i have seen lots of DCP extings. with green gauges and no nitrogen charge. Make sure it gets stamped on the servicing tag and keep it in pressure test date.
Daniel

mik01
16-04-2008, 10:49 PM
does anyone know a reasonable place in Brisbane to purchase extinguishers ?

a small 1kg for your boat you mean?

any chandlery will do, bias, whitworths.

all are pretty cheap

ozscott
17-04-2008, 07:55 AM
I do the smack with a mallet - otherwise you go to use them and you get whats in the spout and nothing more...phuttt...!!! The old yellow ones were the best by far in that regard. The powder ones do tend to compact whether its in cars, boats, dozers etc and shaking alone does not always work...go the mallet!!!!