PDA

View Full Version : BMW Battery Query

Willdoe
16-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I have a BMW (BMW as in Car ) battery on my boat. Short of using brute force I can't see how to remove what appears to be the cells cover to top up the electrolyte. The manufacturers boast extra electrolyte capacity and I am wondering if they aren't designed to top up. Anyone had any experience with them. See extract from interenet below.

Willdoe

(Water loss is very slight due to optimum heat insulation and reduced performance or wear and tear due to low acid levels is avoided from the outset, as the acid reservoir is two times bigger than average. )

littlejim
16-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Dunno if this is relevant to your situation, but the early low antimony batteries which were touted as 'sealed' and not requiring a top up, allowed you to get the cover over the cells off with a really fine screwdriver blade. The close fitting join of the cover was possible to pick up with the naked eye.
despite the hype they needed the occasional top up.

Willdoe
17-04-2008, 11:17 AM
I contacted a BMW agent today, and he confirmed they are not designed to be topped up. Although it appears to be ok, for security I might transfer it to the Hilux and get a new marine battery for the boat

Willdoe.