PDA

View Full Version : can you tell me what year this boat is

evo wagon
16-04-2008, 10:58 AM
hi guys just after some info on this boat i am looking at. its a 20 ft sea farer but the guy doesnt know what year model the hull is. so i was wondering if any of you guys could tell me as well as if there are any bad points about the boat. any help would be great thanks elvin.

boatboy50
16-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey Mate,

I would be guessing it is a lat seventies or very early eighties model.

Check the transom and floor for rot.

Factor in to replace that engine within the next five years.

Regards

Darren

evo wagon
16-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Hey Mate,

I would be guessing it is a lat seventies or very early eighties model.

Check the transom and floor for rot.

Factor in to replace that engine within the next five years.

Regards

Darren

the guy said the transom and floor have been redone 3 months ago and had the paint done after it. with regards to the engine qoute any more info

Blackened
16-04-2008, 12:24 PM
G'day

I'm going to agree regards the vintage.

With the floor/transom, get an invoice for the work done, or don't expect that it's been done.

Dave

Noelm
16-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I was going to sy the very same thing, make sure it has indeed been done, and been done properly, it must be questioned why a person would redo the floor and transom, repaint the whole thing, and then sell it 3 months later!

evo wagon
16-04-2008, 01:21 PM
ok thanks guys for the tip will check out if he as invoices for the work done. i know he has just bought a new boat 22ft so thats why he is selling this one. better to be safe than sorry i guess.

as for the hull design do you think it would be a stable craft and been an old boat would there be any other faults or worries to look out for over a new type.

thanks elvin

Chimo
16-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi Elvin

May be wrong but it looks a bit like this old Seafarer Vagabond which belongs to one of the AFs on the site.

What do you think Boatboy 50?

Cheers
Chimo

PS:D

quote=ozscott;786575]some newer boats are built lighted but not all. For example the bare (and that means no plate glass windscreen in or rails or anything at all) hull in my 19.6 foot hull length Seafarer Vagabond from the 70s was 850kg according to Lindsay Fry the owner when I spoke to him. Now a 6.0 metre Seafarer Victory according to their web site is about 1100kg (that would include the bibs and bobs that they add such as screen, standard pump, electrics, switchgear, battery etc - so perhaps that (particularly if the screen like mine is armour plate) would add 150kg or so) - so it seems Seafarer have not gone backwards and perhaps are a tiny bit heavier?

Cheers ozscott[/quote]

boatboy50
16-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Well done Chimo,

Nice find. It does look very similar.

I had a same vintage Seafarer Venus which served me very well for many years.

I did however find that the older models were not built as well as the newer ones, quite the opposite to most manufactureres. The glass was thinner throughout the hull on the old Seafarers, as I found out when repainting the bottom of mine.

Seaworthiness will not be a problem on that hull. It will be as good as most built today.

Unless someone like Arnolds rebuilt the glass and transom, I would be sceptical on the job done also with the intent to resell.

The engine is a revamped old engine, probably as old as the hull. They are well past their used by date, as it will show under the shiny new paint. It is no longer viable IMHO to rebuild that engine, when you can find a 2000 model Yammy for about 5k.

Regards

Darren

onerabbit
16-04-2008, 05:07 PM
As an early 80's Seafarer owner,

if only transom & floors were done, the job was only half done.

It should have been gutted & the timbers replaced fully.

Just my opinion,

Muzz

kozy cobia
16-04-2008, 07:31 PM
hi guys just after some info on this boat i am looking at. its a 20 ft sea farer but the guy doesnt know what year model the hull is. so i was wondering if any of you guys could tell me as well as if there are any bad points about the boat. any help would be great thanks elvin.

Looks 70s to me, What age is the motor and how much is he asking?

Regards Kozy

whiting-wizard
16-04-2008, 10:53 PM
nice boat mate;D

evo wagon
17-04-2008, 02:10 PM
As an early 80's Seafarer owner,

if only transom & floors were done, the job was only half done.

It should have been gutted & the timbers replaced fully.

Just my opinion,

Muzz

mite sound stupid but is the inside of the boat fitted with timber i thought it would of been all fibre glass:-/

the motor is 2001 and the price is 14500

Outsider1
17-04-2008, 02:20 PM
mite sound stupid but is the inside of the boat fitted with timber i thought it would of been all fibre glass:-/

Hi evo wagon,

The "timbers" onerabbit is referring to are what are called the Stringers. Think of it like a timber skeleton that the fibreglass is moulded over. Unfortunately, eventually water can penetrate through the fibreglass into the timber and cause the timber to rot, thereby seriously weakening the hull etc.

Cheers

Dave

FNQCairns
17-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Those engiens are known to be bulletproof but owner abuse has no boundary, if you find a good one and look after it should go almost forever.

The backbone of these boats is wood, wood rots, sometimes a floor and transom rebuild can be done with scant regard to the stringers and bulkheads. One old and basic test is to remove each bung when the outside temperature has risen but the hull is still overnight cool. Listen for the suck of air if it sucks that is an indication that the closed comparments sealing ability is still good, stick your finger way up the hole and inspect what you can drag out from the bottom, can use a screwdriver and rag, should be clean and wet even but not hold too much colour or refuse that points toward rotted wood somewhere.
There is heaps more but really get someone, as in pay for someone to give that hull a thorough going over, it will be the cheapest help you ever get.

BTW hope the evo is not going to tow this old girl;D

cheers fnq

evo wagon
17-04-2008, 02:55 PM
oh thanks guys for your help really helpfull. the motor has been rebuilt due to the fact the oil injection failed and has a five year warranty with it. he said the oil injection has been taken off. i have organised a boat builder to come with me on the weekend to have a look over it but i think no matter what if i dont get the invoices for work done i think i will stay away form it so see what happens.

thanks again for your help guys and will keep you posted have learnt heaps .

and to FNQCAIRNS the evo wagon is my drag toy even though it has enough balls behind it to tow it lol. the trusty gu turbo diesel will get the job to tow it round.

boatboy50
17-04-2008, 06:41 PM

Hey Evo,

Without seeing it in person it is hard to tell, but I seriously doubt that engine is a 2001. It looks similar to 2001 stickers, but looks like a dressed up clunker to me.

On closer look at the photos it could be a mid nineties engine dressed.

It should have a serial number and date of build sticker on the trim assembly, on the port side from memory. If you can't find one stay well clear.

Regards

Darren

evo wagon
18-04-2008, 10:07 AM
thanks boatboy 50 i was just going on the guys word that it was a 2001. i will check out the plate on the motor and see what it says. cheers

onerabbit
20-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi evo wagon,

The "timbers" onerabbit is referring to are what are called the Stringers. Think of it like a timber skeleton that the fibreglass is moulded over. Unfortunately, eventually water can penetrate through the fibreglass into the timber and cause the timber to rot, thereby seriously weakening the hull etc.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave, I guess i could have been more descriptive.

The main chink in older Seafarer's armour is the Maranty timber (probably spelt wrong) they were built on. It's a light & surprisingly strong timber, until it gets wet, then it gets a bit mushy.
When I had mine done, I was surprised that the floors were made of glassed over masonite, even parts of the transom, although it may have been industrial grade. It still went to slop when the water got it
Mine now has marine ply through-out, 3/4" floors, core-mat transom, has just made a great boat better.

Muzz

evo wagon
21-04-2008, 09:17 AM
well went and checked it out. the plate on the motor said it was a 97. there was a 30mm plate bolted to the transom and the motor bolted to that(could be normal but i didnt thinkso) underneath the boat was not painted and had repairs done towards the front of the hull. the transom from the inside looked very dirty and looked like it had not been painted. the "new carpert" looked like it was 3yrs old. and the cabin area looked really run down. so good thing i asked you guys questions first before jumping in thanks again for all your help and advice.

in general the inside of the boat looked shit and as they say if it looks shit than it hasnt been looked aftered.

Outsider1
21-04-2008, 09:35 AM
It does sound like one to be very wary of evo wagon.

Fresh water does most of the rot damage to a fibreglass hull. I always make sure that I pump my bilge out after heavy rain and toss a bucket of saltwater in occasionally to clear any residual fresh. Boats that sit out under trees in the open are the most likely candidates for rot. Rainwater and rotting leaves and vegetation are a recipe for disaster. And as you say if it looks poorly kept that tends to say a lot about the maintance it has also received.

Cheers

Dave