PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Patch Wahoo

seanwinter
15-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Went out for a run off Palm Beach and landed a nice wahoo after 20 min got him to the side of the boat and gaffed him and tried to lift him in the boat and the rubber handle slid off the gaff . I watched him shake it out and sink to the bottom of the ocean , lucky i had a spare gaff and a good young deckie to hand it to me. Great day out saw a few yellowfin and mactuna caught as well ,this is my first post so i hope it works

outsiderskip
15-04-2008, 02:27 PM
hi seanwinter
nice lookin hoo there
did u get any mac tuna or yfin

pete

frankgrimes
15-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Great Catch mate! What you get him on?

adds31
15-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Very nice fish mate. Good to see a few around.

Adds...

seanwinter
15-04-2008, 03:14 PM
got him on a hex head and did not target any yellowfin

jarhead
15-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Top fish mate, well done.

samson
15-04-2008, 05:47 PM
seen you out there mate flying around like a bat out of hell with skirts always a good way to avoid tuna ran into a smaller fish ourselves, nice fish you got must give 20kg a nudge.

lizard bribie
15-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Nice Fish Good Photo And Anice Looking Regal A Great Boat Cheers Lizard Bribie

skipalong
15-04-2008, 06:05 PM
excellent hoo fellas

Jono_SS
15-04-2008, 06:29 PM
same thing happened to me with a yellowfin once - brand new gaff, rubber handle slid off. luckilly i got the gaff back as it came out of the tuna and was taking a while to sink. Someone jumped in (with rod still in hand) to get the gaff - (clearly hadn't thought of the things you might think of if you were thinking straight!). managed to keep the tuna on the line, retrieve the gaff, get back in the boat, bring tuna back to the surface, gaff the tuna (this time the deckie did the gaffing), have a win all around. excitement all around really...

handle is now pop rivetted onto the gaff.

Horse
15-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Thats a good way to start posting. I look forward to many more

Cheers

Neil

abbot_86
15-04-2008, 07:13 PM
great hoo mate nice effort

oddbudman
15-04-2008, 10:57 PM
top hoo buddy, nice work

Gazza.Boyne
16-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Top Hoo there Seanwinter, i'd love to to catch one that size

seanwinter
16-04-2008, 06:19 AM
Samson which boat were you in??

Lacey Blue Dog
16-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Good to see more fishos putting up a post well done keep them coming...
Bluedog

samson
16-04-2008, 08:30 AM
seanwinter 5.5 centre concole wasn't a lot of people hooking up, i didn't have much trouble got longtails, yellowfin, macs and wahoo seen you darting in from wide of the reef and looking in closer also, not hard covering ground like you were when doing 15-20 knots mind you its good just getting quality fish like hoo running skirts but one strike all day gets a bit boring for mine.

seanwinter
16-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Samson i saw you getting plenty of hook ups and giving your deckies a good work out , i just get sick of hooking up on mac tuna all the time so i target wahoo and go a bit faster . What were you trolling out there??? you were probably going 10 knots??

dreemon
16-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Now i really want to go to the gravel patch ! is it far enough out to need an epirb? I'd only be able to go on the calmer days too, also wondering, if 4 fisherman and 2 boats went out to the same place with 1 epirb, would that be leagal? or do you have to spend the $400 each..... great fish !

business class
16-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Now i really want to go to the gravel patch ! is it far enough out to need an epirb? I'd only be able to go on the calmer days too, also wondering, if 4 fisherman and 2 boats went out to the same place with 1 epirb, would that be leagal? or do you have to spend the $400 each..... great fish !
you have to have an epirb on each boat! also along with flares, v sheet, jackets and so on. just stop into the local tackle shop they can help you out. And the gravel patch is not far at all, only a couple of ks off burleigh headland.

Cheers
Matty

dreemon
16-04-2008, 10:23 AM
yes , I have all the safty gear and vhf radio just not the epirb and is needed 2 naughtical miles and beyond, so is it only 2 klms out? I usually go to palmy reef through tally bar, and I do have gps numbers for the gravel patch, thank heaps.

business class
16-04-2008, 12:48 PM
yes , I have all the safty gear and vhf radio just not the epirb and is needed 2 naughtical miles and beyond, so is it only 2 klms out? I usually go to palmy reef through tally bar, and I do have gps numbers for the gravel patch, thank heaps.

You would be touch and go with being inside the 2mile law. I think it might be just outside. i would get one anyway better to be safe then sorry, as they will book you every time with no warnings.;) \

Cheers,
Matty

samson
16-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Can't fault you for wanting to catch wahoo great fish just been a bit slow this season,so targeting them just hasn,t been viable, i mainly use minnows but have the lead head skirts and giant minnows when it comes time to avoid the tuna besides the tuna have their uses to me at the moment and minnows weave out a wider variety of fish from nice jobbies and the odd nobby to billys and everything in between its not uncommon to get up to ten species or so a session on minnows which skirts just can't acheive.
Cheers samson

seanwinter
16-04-2008, 05:01 PM
thanks mate i will give them i try next time i go out , the weather isnt looking that great for the next week or so , lucky i still got 12 weeks long service leave cheers