PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Lights

garman1
15-04-2008, 01:54 PM
This may sound a silly question but.... I have a quintrex 4.3 with the usual anchor light mounted on the stern.. starboard side, the usual 500 mm or so high. BUT a windshield and bimini has been added...my question is should I be putting the anchor light on top of the bimini, or forget it and leave well enough alone.

Seen heaps with the original setup. Like I said maybe a silly question but curiosity has gotten the better of me???

Reel Nauti
15-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Garman

The white stern light must be able to be clearly seen at 360o. If there is any obstruction to that, be it console, bimini or whatever, then I think it is a legal requirement that it be shifted to where it can be seen. Maybe put it on an extension pole and jack it up when in use?

Cheers

Dave

ozscott
15-04-2008, 02:14 PM
If the anchor light cant be seen at every point of the boat from the outside (ie if anyone coming from any direction does not have a clear line of site to the anchor light) then it is non-compliant. The easiest way is to either run up a long pole that is telescopic for night use or start again and run wire from the anchor light switch to a fold up one from your windscreen that will fold open and appear above your bimini top.

Cheers

BaitThrower
15-04-2008, 03:39 PM
What they said :)

dnej
15-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Yep,what baitThrower said they said

tunaticer
15-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Technically it must therefore be above your head height too if it is going to comply??? You sitting in a seat could easily block the light from a certain angle.

I myself have a allround battery operated light that has a suction cup on the bottom end. I sucker it to the outboard cowling and its about nearly 600mm above the gunnel line and I have an open tinny with no superstructure. Should it be on a 6' pole to clear my head height?

Jack.

BaitThrower
15-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Yep,what baitThrower said they said

What dnej said I said about what they said :P

Fish Guts
15-04-2008, 08:02 PM
mate typical quintrex engineering at its best. had the same problem years ago. dealer put one on the roof. shouldnt be paying a thing. cheers

garman1
15-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Well what can I say but thanks......... ausfish strikes again, good answers for any questions, thankyou.

I was looking at extending the pole or putting a light on top of the bimini but wanted to make sure it was definately needed before I started to change things.

Garry