PDA

View Full Version : Capsized Haines Hunter (not a CAT)

goldcoastau
14-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Two weeks ago a Yellow Haines Hunter V 17 R with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke on the back got capsized at Flinders Reef. The driver was facing the boat into the waves as you are supposed to. A big set of waves came through and hit the boat at 45 degrees and it flipped. The boat landed on the driver and he got a cracked vertebrae. The boys lost a lot of gear. Waited 2.5 hours for the Chopper to come and save them after activating the EPIRP.

The point is these things can happen to any boat- not just CATS.
The one reason that does come to mind why more Cats are susceptible to this is they are generally the only boats mad enough to be braving rough conditions when the monos are safely sitting at home.

Fish Guts
14-04-2008, 06:48 PM
or should you say, the only boats CAPABLE of braving the rough stuff !!

Wahoo
14-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Two weeks ago a Yellow Haines Hunter V 17 R with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke on the back got capsized at Flinders Reef. The driver was facing the boat into the waves as you are supposed to. A big set of waves came through and hit the boat at 45 degrees and it flipped. The boat landed on the driver and he got a cracked vertebrae. The boys lost a lot of gear. Waited 2.5 hours for the Chopper to come and save them after activating the EPIRP.

The one reason that does come to mind why more Cats are susceptible to this is they are generally the only boats mad enough to be braving rough conditions when the monos are safely sitting at home.

LOL must be a cat owner;D

Daz

Jabba_
14-04-2008, 07:14 PM
It all ready been done..http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=127359...

And what I was implying in the other thread was, smaller cats tend to be more unstable then a mono.... Considering the amount off first time boat ownerships, and the great majority off those would be mono, you would expect to see a lot more mono-hull roll overs... And with a ratio off boats on the water, off at least 20/1 in favor off the mono. We still tend to see more Cats upside-down in the water....

I have been in a few smaller cats, and I would never ever own a cat under 6m. From my experience they tend to dig in on one side too easy, and that can spell big trouble....
I have been in a few 35ft+ cats, and I loved them. And on one particular night I was on a 52ft Cat, and I was so glad I was on it, rather then a mono. Big swell, big chop and howling wind. With waves coming over the deck. That night I thought I was never going to make it back home, and if did I would be dead because I was sooo sea sick...

Dean1
14-04-2008, 08:05 PM
It all ready been done..http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=127359...

And what I was implying in the other thread was, smaller cats tend to be more unstable then a mono.... Considering the amount off first time boat ownerships, and the great majority off those would be mono, you would expect to see a lot more mono-hull roll overs... And with a ratio off boats on the water, off at least 20/1 in favor off the mono. We still tend to see more Cats upside-down in the water....

I have been in a few smaller cats, and I would never ever own a cat under 6m. From my experience they tend to dig in on one side too easy, and that can spell big trouble....
I have been in a few 35ft+ cats, and I loved them. And on one particular night I was on a 52ft Cat, and I was so glad I was on it, rather then a mono. Big swell, big chop and howling wind. With waves coming over the deck. That night I thought I was never going to make it back home, and if did I would be dead because I was sooo sea sick... Smaller cats tend to be more unstable than monos??? :-/ :-/ :-/ What small cats have you been in? Ive owned monos over 6 metres, i now have a 5.2m cat and they are chalk and cheese. My cat blows them away!! Id like to see 3 blokes walk to one side of your rolly polly in rough conditions and see what happens :D And i dont have dig in issues either.. Mono owners are very confused ::)

Dean1
14-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Haines hunters would have to be the most unstable boats on the market wouldnt they??

Fish Guts
14-04-2008, 08:09 PM
hook line and sinker

skipalong
14-04-2008, 08:33 PM
to much moey in cats anyway but a good aluminium boat for better money atn the same size

Jabba_
14-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Smaller cats tend to be more unstable than monos??? :-/ :-/ :-/ What small cats have you been in? Ive owned monos over 6 metres, i now have a 5.2m cat and they are chalk and cheese. My cat blows them away!! Id like to see 3 blokes walk to one side of your rolly polly in rough conditions and see what happens :D And i dont have dig in issues either.. Mono owners are very confused ::)

A Markham Whaler 4.5 IRC... Not sure what he other 2 were...
I see you have a KC and I have never been on one those. But they are a Cat I would consider if I were in the market for a cat.....

I have been looking at Cats alot lately for my next boat... I like the larger deck area you get compared to a similar size mono. Been looking at KC's, Markham Dominator and PowerCat....

Is it a prerequisite that all Cat owners wear skirts and cry like a girl when someone makes an observation about seeing more cats upside down then mono's...

Jabba_
14-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Haines hunters would have to be the most unstable boats on the market wouldnt they??
I wouldn't know. I don't own one...

mono
14-04-2008, 09:49 PM
can everyone please stop using my name, I'm getting very paranoid!!
Cheers

BM
14-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Any deep vee monohull will be a bit tippy. Less so with a sterndrive and more so with an outboard.

Look at the Edencraft Formulas. A number of those have rolled upside down over the years. Haven't heard of any sterndrive Formula's rolling over.

Cheers

FNQCairns
14-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Didn't another cat capasize of Mackay just a couple of days ago!

cheers fnq

Greg P
14-04-2008, 10:01 PM
hook line and sinker

All too easy really ;D;D;D;D;D

Another will be along soon so get the floaters back out :P

Getout
15-04-2008, 06:28 AM
I know that the Noosa Coastguard prefer monohulls for bar work because they are more forgiving than cats, when side-on in breaking waves.

ozscott
15-04-2008, 07:58 AM
I know that my model Vagabond was used by the Coastguard and Rescue mobs for many years in the 70's alongwith Carribean Reef Runners and the 6.5 m Haines Hunters but then they all moved to Cats predominantly and RIBS for smaller stuff. The advantage of the Cats seemed to be that twin engines were easy and didnt weigh down the aft end and the stability of them made rescues easer (the last point being the strongest in their favour because the Vags etc did well with twins on and regularly came from the factory that way for north qld fisherman who went out wide and the rescue mobs also).

Cheers

disorderly
15-04-2008, 08:33 AM
We still tend to see more Cats upside-down in the water....

Yes ,jabba,this does tend to be the case.....in fact I heard that markham were considering changes to there hull configuration with that exact problem in mind.
The major change is to actually fit the top deck to the bottom of the sponsons as this appears to be their most comfortable angle of rest.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

business class
15-04-2008, 10:40 AM
or should you say, the only boats CAPABLE of braving the rough stuff !!
What about the tri hulls???? i think they are quite a bit more capable then the cats when it comes to the rough stuff!

SeaHunt
15-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Smaller cats tend to be more unstable than monos??? :-/ :-/ :-/ What small cats have you been in? Ive owned monos over 6 metres, i now have a 5.2m cat and they are chalk and cheese. My cat blows them away!! Id like to see 3 blokes walk to one side of your rolly polly in rough conditions and see what happens :D And i dont have dig in issues either.. Mono owners are very confused ::)

Its BECAUSE three guys can all walk to one side of a small cat and nothing happens that they flip over given the right conditions.

Side on, a mono will lean into a wave, a cat with its two hulls has to tilt.

Personallty I would prefer a big cat for offshore, but having said that you have to be aware of the differences in the way they handle, bit like the difference between riding a motor bike and driving a car.
If you throw a mono into a tight turn going flat out it will dig in , do it in a cat and you will probably get thrown out.:'(

lampuki
15-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Shark cats are amazing boats, but in the wrong hands, can be dangerous. Is it not the case that the big, flat surface between the hulls makes them a lot more likley to flip going through through a bar, where as a mono is more likley to cut through and not flip.

finding_time
15-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Ive got to say that some of the comments on here are rediculous!!! If i was hit side on by a breaking wave in a bar i would much rather be in a mono!!! ( Not you mono;) ) Of course a cat will roll, the downhill side hull is going to dig in !!! A mono MAY be lucky enough to ride it out!! Of course the mono may sink if it goes over the cat will float! BUT why am i even mentioning this who gets hit SIDE on in a bar?::)

Lampuki

Please explain? i haven't got any idea what your talking about? I assume your saying that a cat will go over backwards?

Jabba

By the looks of your avtar you own a Seafarer Vermont? Great boat good hull and quick i've spent about 200hrs driving one ;) In anything under 12 knots it will blow my 5.2 kc away( been in one going 100km/per hr offshore) but it does have a few issues for offshore work although the hull is well and truely up to the task the lack of height foward means any wave you take on the nose will and does end up in the boat ( been there ) and the same lack of volume foward means that running down hill it is very easy to drive it into and through a wave with the result being 100's of litres of water in the boat ( Been there aswell ) And as they are not self draining this can be a major issue! But if you only head out on great days there a good boat but i would go pointing out problems with cats mate as they are a far safer boat for offshore work than most mono's!!;)
Ian

Ps.

There is a certain brand of cats that are tending to skew the roll over figure;s a bit aswell ,there hull shape is more like a mono with a tunnel cut oyt rather than a 2 hulls joined together . take these out of the equation and cats roll overs are less common!

Pps btw i've scared myself and my crew a few times in mine digging in a hull , but as far a a roll over goes i think it would be very difficult your more likely to do a 180 degree broach as 1 hull lifts completely out of the water

lampuki
15-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Hi Finding time.

Yeah, I have crossed many bars in both monos and cats, and the lift that cats get from hitting a big wave seems to be greater than that of monos. The only thing I could put that down to is that monos do not have a large flat surface area that the wave can get a hold on. Anyway, I didnt want to stir any one up, just giving my experiences in crossing bars in SEQ. As I said from in my previous post, the performance u can get out of a cat if you know what you are doing is impressive.

business class
15-04-2008, 01:27 PM
i would have to agree with ian here as there is no way you can compare multi hulls eg, cats, hydrofields with mono's when it comes to safety:o , that is just insane. Multi hulls will always be alot safer and stable.

Cheers
MAtty

Jabba_
15-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Ive got to say that some of the comments on here are rediculous!!! If i was hit side on by a breaking wave in a bar i would much rather be in a mono!!! ( Not you mono;) ) Of course a cat will roll, the downhill side hull is going to dig in !!! A mono MAY be lucky enough to ride it out!! Of course the mono may sink if it goes over the cat will float! BUT why am i even mentioning this who gets hit SIDE on in a bar?::)

Lampuki

Please explain? i haven't got any idea what your talking about? I assume your saying that a cat will go over backwards?

Jabba

By the looks of your avtar you own a Seafarer Vermont? Great boat good hull and quick i've spent about 200hrs driving one ;) In anything under 12 knots it will blow my 5.2 kc away( been in one going 100km/per hr offshore) but it does have a few issues for offshore work although the hull is well and truely up to the task the lack of height foward means any wave you take on the nose will and does end up in the boat ( been there ) and the same lack of volume foward means that running down hill it is very easy to drive it into and through a wave with the result being 100's of litres of water in the boat ( Been there aswell ) And as they are not self draining this can be a major issue! But if you only head out on great days there a good boat but i would go pointing out problems with cats mate as they are a far safer boat for offshore work than most mono's!!;)
Ian

Ps.

There is a certain brand of cats that are tending to skew the roll over figure;s a bit aswell ,there hull shape is more like a mono with a tunnel cut oyt rather than a 2 hulls joined together . take these out of the equation and cats roll overs are less common!

Pps btw i've scared myself and my crew a few times in mine digging in a hull , but as far a a roll over goes i think it would be very difficult your more likely to do a 180 degree broach as 1 hull lifts completely out of the water

your description off the Vermont is spot-on.. Yeah the hull is very blue-water capable, but the height off its sides do let it down in real rugged condition..And as for the lack off height at the bow,,, I would love an extra 1ft or 2 higher, as I have had the same experience as you mentioned (drivin through the back off a wave) Altho I to avoid that situation from happening I trim up the motor, and that keep the bow high....

Also because it is a non-self draining deck, I have installed 2, 3000gph bilge pumps.... Altho, these wont save the boat if a wave breaks over the top off it....

But this boat was a compromise.. A good day and social boat, and also comfotable in the open ocean....

Next boat will be more ocean related... Been looking at cats and mono's... So far I like the 24KC, Safarer Victory, and the Hains Hunter 6.5 Patriot.. The Dominators look like a good package, but I think there the cats that tend to tip over very easerly... Is that correct...
And what are the PowerCats like....

Getout
15-04-2008, 02:12 PM
BUT why am i even mentioning this who gets hit SIDE on in a bar?::)

The coast guard probably does, while they are rescuing people who roll over.
On shallow bars, sometimes boats spin around due to the current.

The charter mobs generally use cats so they must be OK on bars in the right hands.

disorderly
15-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Multi hulls will always be alot safer and stable.

Cheers
MAtty

Except when they are upside downhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif.

lampuki
15-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Getout, fair point about the coasties, they will be in situations where they will get side on......With regard to the charter boats, they are normally 30+ feet. If they decide not to take the bar on, (Maybe im a skirt?) but I would be avoiding the bar as well.

Jabba_
15-04-2008, 03:59 PM
The coast guard probably does, while they are rescuing people who roll over.
On shallow bars, sometimes boats spin around due to the current.

The charter mobs generally use cats so they must be OK on bars in the right hands.

True, but. The rescue and charter Cats are usualy around 30ft and bigger, and with the width off those Cats, it would be extreamly hard to roll one off those over. Also the way this topic started was by me stating in another thread that I have noticed that Cat roll overs(inparticular Cat less then 6m in lengh) have been more comon then mono.

Wahoo
15-04-2008, 04:43 PM
WOW, getting bit like other threads, bet most of the roll over cats had E-Tecs on them ;D;D:P

Daz

Jabba_
15-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Nar, They all had Suzuki's or Merc's;D... And E-tec equipped Cats are guaranteed not to roll over, ever. Mainly because there usualy at the shop being repaired.... ::)

boatboy50
15-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Guys,

There is more to the story of Noosa Coast Guard not having Cats, and it's got nothing to do with their stability or seaworthiness.

Just about EVERY other VMR along the Qld Coast has at least one, some even three cats. This is because they are simply the most seaworthy boats in ALL conditions the VMR units are needed to deal with. And over 50% of these cats are well under 30ft.

As a former VMR skipper, I can say that many times over if I was in a similar sized mono during some situations, I too with my crew would be sitting on top of the hull waiting for back up.

If anyone can pick up the footage from You Tube of a Coast Guard Cat rolling off Brisbane in the eighties, it would be worth all knockers seeing. Surviving three 3m + breakers with engines down as a sitting duck before finally turning turtle, is a sight worth watching. And all this after trying to save a 30 odd foot yacht which had already been rolled in the same area. I was won on cats after seeing this footage.

But, yes, I too have noticed that a few Cats have gone over recently. I know of the weekend 4.3 Whaler, one 23ft Sharkcat up north which simply sunk, the weekends 30ft powercat which again simply sunk, the big expensive cat which simply sunk on the Goldie, and the Dominators which you could discount for different reasons.

I'm sure it is simply that most cat owners have more confidence and experience than others, and put there boats in situations they maybe shouldn't be.

Regards

Darren

Vitamin Sea
15-04-2008, 07:50 PM

Just saw it, can't help myself

Time to switch hands Deano;D

Cheers

Greg P
15-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Dont think there is too many problems with cats - maybe they flip cause of that big chip that all of the owners have sends em over :-X:-X;D;D;D

They are not the be all and end all - horses for courses

Dean1
15-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Dont think there is too many problems with cats - maybe they flip cause of that big chip that all of the owners have sends em over :-X:-X;D;D;D

They are not the be all and end all - horses for courses Greg i agree horses for courses but when comments are made like 'small cats arent as stable as monos' etc, it really makes you wonder how much experience theyve had before running such a boat into the ground. I have a 5.2m cat. I had a 5.2m seafarer once(viking). If we are comparing boats in this way we'd have to compare equal lengths?? Go for a run in a 5.2 seafarer then a 5.2 kc, no comparison whatsoever. Then comparing 6m+ monos to small cats, still no comparison. And for the side on in bars rollover boys, the only time a cat would be in this position is if the skipper has no idea whats he's doing, or 'both motors' have snuffed it! 2 motors are another bonus with a cat, peace of mind ;) All i can say is that some of the conditions ive been out in the last 6 months, man im glad i wasnt in a mono 8-) Well i wouldnt have got there in a mono anyway ;D

Dean1
15-04-2008, 08:26 PM
A Markham Whaler 4.5 IRC... Not sure what he other 2 were...
I see you have a KC and I have never been on one those. But they are a Cat I would consider if I were in the market for a cat.....

I have been looking at Cats alot lately for my next boat... I like the larger deck area you get compared to a similar size mono. Been looking at KC's, Markham Dominator and PowerCat....

Is it a prerequisite that all Cat owners wear skirts and cry like a girl when someone makes an observation about seeing more cats upside down then mono's... Jabba a 4.5m Markham whaler is a very narrow small cat , probably half the weight of a 5.2 kc. Ive never heard of a kevlacat tipping over? I dont cry mate i giggle ;D ;D

FNQCairns
15-04-2008, 08:28 PM
All i can say is that some of the conditions ive been out in the last 6 months, man im glad i wasnt in a mono 8-) Well i wouldnt have got there in a mono anyway ;D

Oh scoff! scoff! LOL

cheers fnq

julian1
15-04-2008, 08:59 PM
most cat owners have had a mono previously and don't seem to go back

Greg P
15-04-2008, 09:04 PM
most cat owners have had a mono previously and don't seem to go back

Not all ;)

julian1
15-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Guys,

There is more to the story of Noosa Coast Guard not having Cats, and it's got nothing to do with their stability or seaworthiness.

Just about EVERY other VMR along the Qld Coast has at least one, some even three cats. This is because they are simply the most seaworthy boats in ALL conditions the VMR units are needed to deal with. And over 50% of these cats are well under 30ft.

As a former VMR skipper, I can say that many times over if I was in a similar sized mono during some situations, I too with my crew would be sitting on top of the hull waiting for back up.

If anyone can pick up the footage from You Tube of a Coast Guard Cat rolling off Brisbane in the eighties, it would be worth all knockers seeing. Surviving three 3m + breakers with engines down as a sitting duck before finally turning turtle, is a sight worth watching. And all this after trying to save a 30 odd foot yacht which had already been rolled in the same area. I was won on cats after seeing this footage.

But, yes, I too have noticed that a few Cats have gone over recently. I know of the weekend 4.3 Whaler, one 23ft Sharkcat up north which simply sunk, the weekends 30ft powercat which again simply sunk, the big expensive cat which simply sunk on the Goldie, and the Dominators which you could discount for different reasons.

I'm sure it is simply that most cat owners have more confidence and experience than others, and put there boats in situations they maybe shouldn't be.

Regards

Darren

do you have the link for the youtube coastguard cat rolling ?

cheer's

Julian

Greg P
15-04-2008, 09:35 PM

Regards

Darren

Darren

Maybe that should say over-confidence ? Doesn't matter what you have mono or Cat. If you put them into difficult situations against mother nature you will loose out in most instances.

Dean - no point in comparing that arse bashing platey you used to own. There is a big difference in ride quality in purpose built high deadrise monos (plate or glass). Some of these CCs from the US like Contender, regulator and Southport would frag you in any type of seas in a similar size cat and if you think otherwise you are kidding yourself.

As for having twins engines as a benefit-- I think that is now debatable with the reliability of new engines. Twins cost more in maintenance, will suck more fuel than a large single. Cats were streets ahead in the 70s and 80s but the gap has closed now.

boatboy50
15-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey Julian,

Not Big into Youtube, but I have seen it on there.

I'm sure a search of boat rolling or something similar on Youtube will bring it up.

The filming from the helicopter won awards for Channel 7 at the time, and it appeared in one of the amazing police videos or something similar, which is where the youtube video came from.

Others here have seen it and may be able to find it.

Darren

Roughasguts
16-04-2008, 01:17 AM

Hmmm a narrow runabout which was hanging very ar$e low as they do! And no dought even more so with a heavy big arse 115HP 4 stroke hanging of it's bum.

Yeah I reckon I wouldn't like to be in it.

Think the skipper would need to give the boat more stick in to the waves to keep the nose up to prevent a wave from breaking over the boat and sinking it, and unfortunately he gave it to much at one stage.

That's when a cab comes in handy you might get some green over the windscreen once in a while but you don't have to risk getting airborne over a wave either and flipping your tub.

business class
16-04-2008, 09:55 AM
come on disorderly don't be like that;) . I have the hydrofield jaguar and it is the smoothest ride i have been in and bye far the safest. all my fishing consists of haveing to cross bars to get out and yes i have hit some big waves, but honestly i do feel alot safer in a multi hull. i have been out in many mono's but none compare to the ride of a multi, in saying that people say mono hull s with alot of weight up front will ride exceptional and even go as far as saying the mono will ride better::) and if gary ever takes me out in his eden craft::) i will get to find out first hand. ;D

Cheers Matty

Vitamin Sea
16-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey Julian,

Not Big into Youtube, but I have seen it on there.

I'm sure a search of boat rolling or something similar on Youtube will bring it up.

The filming from the helicopter won awards for Channel 7 at the time, and it appeared in one of the amazing police videos or something similar, which is where the youtube video came from.

Others here have seen it and may be able to find it.

Darren

Darren / Julian

I have it at home, in favourites, found it a while ago, will post if I can work out how to.

That particular event was far from the ordinary, huge seas, personally I would not have liked to be there in a cat, mono or even a tri-hull.

And yes, channel 7 did get awards for the coverage

Cheers

Bill

cormorant
16-04-2008, 10:40 AM
do you have the link for the youtube coastguard cat rolling ?

cheer's

Julian

Be nice to actually find out with all roll overs , sinkings be it cat or mono what the cause was and actually get to a conclusion. Have done a quick search of the threads on them (couldn't find a couple) but they need a follow up so we can all learn from it. Some will be "freak wave!!, skipper inexperienced, plain old mistake or judgement or maintainance related. Some may well be hull shape related. Links to the rollovers and accidents appreciated.

Interesting these discussions always come down to Coast Guard discussions. If we looked at it another way from overseas or even at the pilot boats in australia there is a hell of a lot of monos as wll tha hammer in bad conditions but they are definately semidisplacement not planing hulls and not so good on a trailer.

A couple of cat advantages are that the motors are seperated by a large distance so if one is damaged by debris theother may not be,. Close quarters manovouring is enhanced which is critical in rescue situations. Need those motors seperate with the windage on the cabin models. Big beam ability with still having a softish ride. Draft in bar situations. Ability to carry weight of equipment required in conditions. Driver fatigue-concentration- cause of a lot of accidents so I bet Coast guard add that one in in a all day affair. I can't think of a mono that would meet coast guard requirements that isn't 40 foot long and isn't a cray or commercial fishing boat like a steber and they aren't exactly cheap!!!!!

My experience is that in big conditions it is the skipper that makes 90% of the difference. Both monos and cats are capable but many take them outside their true operating capability let alone their skill level. Cats can be a real easy ride in small conditions as it is just point and throttle up - point and shoot.

Hope to read some facts on why the roll overs have happened.

PS what ever happened to that bloke with the formuala 233 who couldn't resolve issues from the facory- PM me if it can't be written.

fozzy
16-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Cormarant,

I'd have to agree with your comment that 90% of the time it is the skipper who is the major cause, 'cause I've been there.

Not so long ago I took my son and a mate out and we tried to go round Cape Moreton in my old Seafarer Viking. Forecast was 15 knots, actual on Seabreeze was 25knots as it turns out. The seas were huge. We should have turned back when the small cat that was following us did, but I figured it would get better once we got clear of the Cape itself.

Well it got to the stage where i thought "it's too late to put the lifejackets on now" and I was putting a lot of effort in place to avoid being swamped. We took a LOT of water over the bow due to the hull shape but fortunately I've done a course with Bill Corten and believe me it helped, bigtime. Managed to turn around and work back inside Combuyoro where I basically collapsed from the stress of it all.

Summary - any boat has its weakness but the skipper will be the one most likely to exploit that weakness.

Cheers

Dave.

Dean1
16-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Darren

Maybe that should say over-confidence ? Doesn't matter what you have mono or Cat. If you put them into difficult situations against mother nature you will loose out in most instances.

Dean - no point in comparing that arse bashing platey you used to own. There is a big difference in ride quality in purpose built high deadrise monos (plate or glass). Some of these CCs from the US like Contender, regulator and Southport would frag you in any type of seas in a similar size cat and if you think otherwise you are kidding yourself.

As for having twins engines as a benefit-- I think that is now debatable with the reliability of new engines. Twins cost more in maintenance, will suck more fuel than a large single. Cats were streets ahead in the 70s and 80s but the gap has closed now.Greg the gap has closed a bit but there is still a gap :P Any boat runs better with twins ( i know a handful of guys that have taken twins off monos and they are a different boat, a worse boat. Twins seem to level them up, power thru waves much better in a following sea. And i know that if 5.2 kc's were cheaper youd be behind the wheel of one ;D I know you still dream about Cool Cat ;)

Vitamin Sea
16-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Moreton Bay Rescue

eiRgKXs92fc&feature=related
(http://[/url]<object width=)

(http://[/url]<object width=)
cheers

Vitamin Sea
16-04-2008, 08:31 PM
don't believe it, it worked8-)

Julian, got your message.

Looked for a long time for this footage, remember watching it on TV years ago.

Bill

julian1
16-04-2008, 09:28 PM
thanks for that, not a nice situation to be in, never underestimate mother nature, the ocean is a powerful force

cheer's

Julian

disorderly
16-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the video,Vitamin sea.
Geez, how good was that chopper pilot.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cool.gif

boatboy50
16-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks Vit Sea,

Guys, that footage doesn't do the actual scene any justice, because it is all cut and pasted. It goes for much longer than that, about 10 minutes in total. I've got the full version on VHS in the collection.

The Cat actually faced three waves with engines u/s before being rolled by the third wave eventually. It even surfed a wave for about ten metres right side up on the second wave from memory.

Regards

Darren