PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter in close and a little wider

indy
14-04-2008, 05:11 PM
G'day

Left from Bribie Saturday arvo straight after work on the water by about 2pm thinking that we would be in for a lumpy ride but didn't end up being to bad as we had the southerly behind us all the way out.

Arrived at spot x at about 3 o'clock and fishing was slow with only a couple of legal squire coming in before dark. As the sun dropped out much the same very quiet until it was dark and once it was dark the squire came on very thick with at one stage all rods going off, blandy onto one as well as myself and my floater rig also screaming away.

We had our bag in quick time with alot of decent fish going back, thought i would try a different bait throwing on a herring resulting in a nice estuary cod which we released. We also pick up a cobe through the night.

We decided to camp at this spot for the night as it was a bit to rough to be motoring to far blowing around twenty knots and see what daylight brought resulting in a couple of grassy sweetlip and a few parrot.

We then decided to head to a new spot for some pearlies and with the first couple of drops we landed four with a couple around the two and half kilo mark (didn't weigh them) and blandy also getting a nice parrot, and then things shut down here so we headed for home with a very nice run back to the ramp.

Cheers pete....

Cobia Kid
14-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Correct me if im wrong but i thought pearlies mwere a deep sea fish and people
ay they are putting out floats for them, How did you get yours??
Great haul to man!!
Cheers,
jamie

skipalong
14-04-2008, 06:03 PM
excellent fishing pete bet she was a long night out there

indy
14-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Cobia kid you can get pearlies pretty shallow i have caught them of cape morton in 18 metres before but you will usually get more out in the deep. You won't get them on floats they tend to hang near the bottom and you can also get them coming up of the bottom a bit hitting a slow dropping bait. Alot of people use paternoster rig for them.

cheers pete...

indy
14-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Skipalong yeah it was along night not a great deal of sleep with alot of waves slapping up along side of the boat.

cheers pete..

tinniemad
14-04-2008, 07:07 PM
one nice fish there mate! bloody huuuuuuge!

SNAPPAFLICKA
14-04-2008, 07:49 PM
nice size pearlies there mate,very nice catch well done.How deep where you in cheers snappaflicka

keenfishr
14-04-2008, 07:53 PM
great catch. some quality fish there for 2 blokes!!

-spiro-
14-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Nice haul Pete. Today would of been a good day aswell

outsiderskip
15-04-2008, 04:44 AM
great catch pete
weather was great next night flat
i ended up with a few too got a 15.2kg cod might have been yours

pete

revs57
15-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Good to see ya itno it again Pete - here's hoping for a decent break in the weather

cheers

Rhys

indy
15-04-2008, 04:02 PM
SNAPPAFLICKA

We fished from forty metres to around 90 metres.

lampuki
15-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Well done Pete, im very jealous. Im inbetween selling my old boat, and awaiting delivery of the new boat, talk about rubbing salt into the wounds. Well done!

liltuffy
15-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Spot X, spot X1, spot Y etc, what a load of ****. Reading between the lines you went to wide Caloundra, the banks, off Moreton, off Noosa, off shore, so what difference does it make where your great spot is?. Why do you and others need to be so secretive about where you fish? This website is about sharing knowledge thought.

Whilst generally you do well (hat off and all due respect to you), judging by the amount of fish caught this time it seems the secret spot has been raided before.

No disrepect to you at all Indy but I just get tired of blokes spruking about their great spot X without even saying where they were fishing and bashing their chest about their perceived fishing prowess, if your going to tell the story, tell the whole story. Thats my 2 cents worth

Craig

salt rat
15-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Indy,what type of rig yas fishing from looks like a sportfish from your photo 5.5 or 6.0 meter,have you got a 4stroke on yer cheers Craigo.

Greg P
15-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Pete - was that you pulling your rig out next too me at Spinnaker on Sunday arvo?

indy
16-04-2008, 04:32 PM
SALT RAT

You had it right its a sportfish 6.0m with a 140 hp Suzuki four stroke goes pretty good could always do with a little more power though.

Greg P

Yeah that was me at the ramp beside you i recognised your boat but wasn't sure where i had seen it i should have said hello, will no for next time love the paint job on your fisher looks the goods. How did you go out there?

lampuki
16-04-2008, 04:44 PM
lill tuffy ???? What do you expect him to do, put the gps cords on the site and nice images of the shows on his sounder?

liltuffy
16-04-2008, 05:39 PM
lill tuffy ???? What do you expect him to do, put the gps cords on the site and nice images of the shows on his sounder?

Hey Lampuki, of course not. The majority of members on this site are local to SE Qld but a vast number are not. Indy is obviously local and to refer to spot whatever all the time could mean anywhere in the world, I've also got a spot X as well but it's at Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean, and I have no qualms about saying it.

To say "I" fished wide Caloundra is certainly not a giveaway of a position at all and certainly could not be construed to be giving away too many "secrets", even a photo of sounder images would be bloody difficult to convert to a location. If you fish offshore yourself then even different approach angles produce different images on a sounder and can look like different spots.

Given the number of inexperienced fishos on this site and even experienced fishos I wouldn't think it a problem to share a little knowledge and experience. Aren't we all registerd with Ausfish to learn just a little, or are we just here to blow our own trumpet.

My post was not in any way to be construed to slag Indy rather to help promote the sharing of knowledge. After all knowledge is power so they say.

Vitamin Sea
16-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey Lampuki, of course not. The majority of members on this site are local to SE Qld but a vast number are not. Indy is obviously local and to refer to spot whatever all the time could mean anywhere in the world, I've also got a spot X as well but it's at Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean, and I have no qualms about saying it.

To say "I" fished wide Caloundra is certainly not a giveaway of a position at all and certainly could not be construed to be giving away too many "secrets", even a photo of sounder images would be bloody difficult to convert to a location. If you fish offshore yourself then even different approach angles produce different images on a sounder and can look like different spots.

Given the number of inexperienced fishos on this site and even experienced fishos I wouldn't think it a problem to share a little knowledge and experience. Aren't we all registerd with Ausfish to learn just a little, or are we just here to blow our own trumpet.

My post was not in any way to be construed to slag Indy rather to help promote the sharing of knowledge. After all knowledge is power so they say.

Have to agree with Craig, you are not giving any secrets away by saying you were fishing the Banks, Caloundra, Moreton etc, etc.

No one expects co-ordinates etc to be given, just general ground would be beneficial to most.

Sounder shows, if you have them, are always interesting.

This XYZ stuff gives me the sh%ts as well, lets face it, 10 metres can mean the difference between getting fish or not, it's up to the skip to find them.

Nice catch Indy

My 2 bobs

Cheers

indy
17-04-2008, 04:15 PM
LILTUFFY

Fished the twelve mile first up and then headed to wide caloundra after that.
Go get them.

cheers pete...