PDA

View Full Version : what the best bait for shrimp

barra king
14-04-2008, 04:18 PM
what is the best bait for shrimp i heard cheese can someone tell me some other baits to get some please

tunaticer
14-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Best i know of is KFC bones.
The syle of trap is more important as some work lots better then others.
I have changed over to rubberised metal twin cone traps for shrimps and they work about twice as good as the collapsible shrimp traps.

Jack.

PIE GUTS
14-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Most fresh water dams have fish filleting area's, grab a couple of fish frames out of the bin. Dosen't sound real flash but this is fair dinkum the best Shrimp bait!

Goodoo Man
15-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Sunlight soap, gets em in and then when you throw the trap under the floor of the boat doesnt stink and its baited for next time. If you use the wire barrel cages wrap th soap in mesh and wire it to hang in front of the entrances it lasts longer (months) if you just drop it in it slides around and wares away

budgebass
15-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Barra King

Yellowbelly heads /frames make the best shrimp bait by a country mile.

However if you don't have fishframes try this.

Take a small plastic medicine bottle and make small holes all over it.
Then cram the plastic medicine bottle with a 2 part mixture.
1 part broken pillies or tuna catfood - preferable tuna-mix, 1 part dry dog biscuits - meaty bites preferable.

What should happen - the dry dog biscuits get wet and expand pushing the pilly / dog biscuit mixture out - attracts the shrimps.

NOt sure where you are gonna place your traps but option 2 makes good sense, cause when you are finished just empty contents, wash up and ready to use again. Getting shrimps out of any creek or stream will mean either eels or water rats maybe prone to raiding your traps if you leave them for any length of time meaning fish frames aren't a good option,

Anyway good luck these 2 things usually work well for us

Cheers
Budgebass

budgebass
15-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi Barra King

Yellowbelly heads /frames make the best shrimp bait by a country mile.

However if you don't have fishframes try this.

Take a small plastic medicine bottle and make small holes all over it.
Then cram the plastic medicine bottle with a 2 part mixture.
1 part broken pillies or tuna catfood - preferable tuna-mix, 1 part dry dog biscuits - meaty bites preferable.

What should happen - the dry dog biscuits get wet and expand pushing the pilly / dog biscuit mixture out - attracts the shrimps.

NOt sure where you are gonna place your traps but option 2 makes good sense, cause when you are finished just empty contents, wash up and ready to use again. Getting shrimps out of any creek or stream will mean either eels or water rats maybe prone to raiding your traps if you leave them for any length of time meaning fish frames aren't a good option,

Anyway good luck these 2 things usually work well for us

Cheers
Budgebass

cqfreshie
15-04-2008, 11:00 PM
To catch shrimps is no different to catching fish .... match the hatch. Natural food is always the best bait. Shrimps are scavangers, and feed on dead fish, shrimps etc ... so, fish frames would have to be up there in the top of the list.

Soap was once made from lard (fat) and an alkaline. Today, in this chemically enriched world, I wonder how much lard is used in soap.

But, regardless, soap is a pollutant, and has no place in our waterways....even if shrimp may like it.

Cheers.

kiwi-in-ballina
16-04-2008, 04:50 PM
As pie guts said the filleting area is the best place to grab the odd frame.

Another one Ive tried is cat food which also seem to work!

barra king
17-04-2008, 05:25 PM
i had a yellbelly head once and got some bigs shrimps

Mike Delisser
17-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I always use a very small amount of dry dog food, plenty of shrimp in the creeks around Brizzy.

two fold
20-04-2008, 06:51 PM
fish frames have always worked for me
purcho

barra king
20-04-2008, 07:37 PM
what is a fish frame

cqfreshie
22-04-2008, 08:02 PM
A fish frame is a fish skeleton with some meat left after filleting.

Cheers

barra king
22-04-2008, 08:49 PM
oh ok thanks mate i my find some

two fold
24-04-2008, 03:52 PM
yeh mate any type of fish will do. gets a great smell after a few days in the water tho!
purcho

vb_is_4_me
26-04-2008, 12:47 PM
someone here suggested that I try home brand soap. I did and it worked a treat way more success than any meat or fish I have tried.

barra king
26-04-2008, 05:13 PM
ok how many shrimp u get in it

WyldFisher
26-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Cheese for me.

barra king
27-04-2008, 08:47 AM
why cheese or they like it or what

two fold
27-04-2008, 11:21 AM
i wouldnt think its a great idea to use soap in these pristine waterways
purcho

WyldFisher
27-04-2008, 11:57 AM
why cheese or they like it or what

Cheese attracts Shrimp. I only use cheese to get Shrimp. I don't use it for fishing bait to get Murray Cod or Yellowbelly because cheese has been known to make Murray Cod go belly up.

barra king
28-04-2008, 02:56 PM
dam i did not know that thanks mate

keckass470
02-05-2008, 03:40 PM
go he cat food! always have a few cans in the boat...;) works well