PDA

View Full Version : Problem Battery discharges Constantly

Remo
14-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Just a quick question on a problem that i have with my battery going flat. All accessories are turned off but my battery still goes flat after a couple weeks without use. Any ideas on what may cause this ? It never used to happen before.

Your thoughts are appreciated

Cheers
Ray

Roughasguts
14-04-2008, 11:41 AM
If you disconect the battery leads does it still go flat?

PADDLES
14-04-2008, 12:26 PM
g'day ray, where RAG is heading is that if it goes flat with ALL cables disconnected then the battery is stuffed, the plates have either collapsed or there's a buildup of crap in the electrolyte that's shorting the plates.

if the battery is ok then get a multimeter that measures dc current, turn everything off, disconnect the + terminal and then wire the multimeter between the battery and the cable terminal to see if there's current flowing.
if there is then physically disconnect everything and then reconnect devices individually until you find out which circuit has the short in it.

BaitThrower
14-04-2008, 12:39 PM
My boys quad bike battery does that. In fact, after charging it up, you can hold the multi-meter on the terminals and actually watch the volts count down all the way to under 12v it goes down that fast! Battery is stuffed and not holding charge. Might be same with yours. How old is battery?