PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filled Trailer?

benjy
14-04-2008, 10:14 AM
My trailer is getting a little rusty up the inside of the rhs so I was thinking about sealing it up and filliing with sump oil to keep it going for a few more years. It's not worth regalvanising and I cant afford a new one at this stage. I've got a 4.3m tinny on it.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has done this or has any thoughts. If water does get in would this be a problem?

I was thinking I'd drill and tap the drain holes then use some short bolts with washers to seal them. Not sure what to do with the ends of the rhs though, I don't have the gear to weld plates over the ends so is there another solution? I seem to remember seeing some end caps you can get for this somewhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction Id appreciate it.

Cheers

Reel Nauti
14-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi Benjy

I'd be very wary about filling the trailer with oil, especially if she's a bit rusty already. You could end up with an unholy mess over a period of time if it leaks. I would suggest you grind out what you can, and spray it with cold gal or fisholene. A flexible extension off the spray gun will get you inside the channels. I don't think I'd seal the ends off either as this allows any water that may enter to drain out. Give it a good hose up those ends after each trip if the trailer gets a dunk.

Cheers

Dave

Noelm
14-04-2008, 11:35 AM
a few guys I know have welded caps to the ends of the tube, then welded nuts over a hole in the top, and when the trailer is galvanised, they clean out the thread, fill the tube completely full with oil, and refit Bolts to the nuts and make a fully sealed, oil filled Trailer, one has been in use for over 15 years.

captain rednut
14-04-2008, 08:53 PM
hi my trailer i built myself is oil filled thru a simple plastic boat drain bunge mounted in the drawbar its 16yr and like new.

Reel Nauti
14-04-2008, 10:10 PM
It sounds as though if you do it properly it could be good. My trailer is 13 yrs old and is in very good nic with no rust. It was galved from new, but I've not sealed it nor filled it with oil.

Dave

Stuart
14-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Be very carefull doing this mate, not only do you run the risk of an oil slick at the boat ramp but old sump oil is very acidic and corrosive.

Stu

Crocodile
15-04-2008, 08:49 AM
I have drilled into the cross beams on my trailer ands used a galv. roofing screw with a rubber gasket on the underside with a plastic bung on the top side, with Stag jointing compound as a sealer.
Stag works with oil and diesel, doesn't dissolve.
I then use a very small funnel to fill it with a mix of fisholene and diesel, let it soak for a while and then drain.
I catch the mixture and re-use on the other cross beams.
The longitudinals I temporarily plug with anything handy and Stag, tilt the trailer up at the front and pour the mix in and let it soak.
Is it working? can't tell because I can't really get in there to look.
On the outside I apply Penetrol which sets hard and does seem to have stopped the scaling and flaking.
Tried cold gal but that didn't work at all.
I would have preferred welded nuts and bolts but I don't have access to a welder.