PDA

View Full Version : Offshore from the Tweed Sun 13/04/08

matt fraser
14-04-2008, 09:51 AM
I was invited by Steve Wilson to join him on a trip out from the Tweed yesterday, its the first time I've fished offshore in many years, and the first time I've ever been out from the Tweed.

All I've ever read about from Tweed reports is the 9 mile, so I was amazed at what was out there so close to the bar. Cook Island, Fidos, South reef and 9 mile all very close.

We fished plastics all day, and got all of our action in the first few hours. Steve got a 3kg tea leaf trevally and a 3.5kg GT and one smoking. I got a couple of squire to about 45cm, and a 78cm kingie plus got dusted into the bottom twice. I also popped another one off through 20lb braid (drag too tight). We were fishing 20 & 30lb braid with 30lb leaders - 1/4 and 3/8Oz head (Nitro of course) and I was fishing 5" Jerkshads, Steve stuck with 7" most of the time.

We rescued the skipper on the capsized cat about 9am (see boating forum). After that we had a troll out to and around 9 Mile with no action. Then drifted it with plastics for no action besides toads chewing our gulps to bits.

There were heaps of divers and spearos on the 9 mile, and we chatted to one crew who Steve met out there and at the ramp a couple of weekends previously. They said they'd got a goog kingie at Kingscliffe and there were some big Green Jobfish on the 9 Mile.

We fished a few more spots on the way in but just picked up mixed rubbish fish.

We headed in before 2pm and spent an hour in the river. Steve picked up a very nice Golden, and a couple of bream and flathead. I also got a couple of bream whilst playing around with some new lures.

Back at the ramp the ramp, the spearos were cleaning their catch. They had been up at Bundaberg on Saturday, so they had two days worth of cleaning. Jeez they had some nice fish. Spaniards to about 14kg, an 18kg GT, 17kg Kingie, a massive 8kg Jack, plus another 3kg model, a 3-4kg Coral trout, and a host of other fish. It was really interesting talking to them as we cleaned our catch as well. These guys are right into it and write for magazines, can hold their breath for 1&1/2 minutes. They have speared Mackeral to 47kg!!! Marlin!!!!! Crazy stuff!!

Great guys, very good at what they do, but Jeez they kill some fish!!! They had that many they actually gave us the big Kingie. Which we gratefully accepted, nothing worse that seeing fish wasted.

All in all it was a top day! Very interesting to check out new country, Catch a PB Kingie, have a hand in a rescue, and learn of what spearos get up to.

Thanks Steve,

Cheers,

Matt

Roo
14-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Magic conditions out there Matt, I can't believe I went all the way up to Moreton Bay instead of staying home and fishing the Tweed reefs. After looking at the surf on Saturday I figured it may be too rough for The Missus to cope with on Sunday but it turned out pretty good apart from the bit of drama on Fido's, glad the skipper was ok. You can't turn you back on that place!!!
glad you enjoyed it out there, those reefs would have a few nitro's embedded in them over the last year or so, I know the patch I frequent has its fair share.

Those spearo's are freaks, amazing how long they can hold their breath, A few mates are mad keen on it and they can get down to 60 ft+ when they need to.

Cheers Roo.

skipalong
14-04-2008, 05:40 PM
excellent fishing fellas