PDA

View Full Version : Testing new Bass lures

MitchCalcutt
13-04-2008, 05:31 PM
I bought a new lure off the net last week and had a chance to use it a Cania on the weekend with mixed results. I’m a big fan of single hooks in my lures for many reasons, in particular the ease of removal. Needless to say the first thing I did when my new lures arrived was to change the trebles to single’s.
The afternoon bight on Bass and Toga was a short but aggressive. I first tried another new lure which proved to be one of the best surface lures I have ever used, that was until I got busted up by the third Toga in as many casts, the last we saw of it was on its tenth free jump trying to be dislodged by an unhappy fish. However, that’s another story. Once the new God lure had stoped jumping, and I stoped crying, I tied on my other new lure. It had hit after hit after hit with not one hook-up. The action on this lure was particularly nice to watch and worked wonders on the fish. David suggested putting trebles back on which I did, the wonderful action it once had was gone and the lack of strikes became noticeable instantly.
That was not much of a surprise really, I always new the good action came from being lighter, I’ll now try a small treble in the middle with a single in the rear. This should bring a lot more action due to the bib having an axis point being the middle of the lure and the rear weight reduced by adding a single.
Generally speaking the single hooks work a treat on sub surface lures where the fish gets to woof it in clean, in contrast is the surface lures. The single hooks don’t have the same hookup success as trebles by a long shot. In saying that I’ll still leave singles on “zippin ziggy” for when I’m casting long into the grass where the singles don’t get matted up as easy.
Every time out is another chance to test out new theory’s, some work, some need more work.
I’m sorry I can’t give the name or brand of my new toys because they’re not available in Aus or USA and are limited in supply. If they become more available I’ll let everyone know what they are.

Mitch

Dan5
13-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah it seem's to be the way with surface lure's solid hookup is sometime's hard to achieve especially barra,i used to change all the treble's for singles on my hard body's for fishing shady camp barrage. The rebel popper's were a favourite there for me at night rigged with a single 5/0 on the tail one of these accounted for my first meter+ barra about 15 years ago.

The halco poltergiest work's well with a single set up for deep trolling around the snag's,rigged with dacron to the front front treble ring so you can walk it through some pretty solid timber.

Dan.