anyone know if the 2 bits of foam can be removed is there any adverse affect

the boat is rated for 5 people however max i ever have on it is 3-4

i think the foam is a cubic feet each i need to remove 2 for the tank to fit

Can anyone see an issue with this

Thanks

Curepipe

Lewy
13-04-2008, 04:48 PM
If your boat has a builders plate and you modify the bouancy you could void your insurance.

Regards

Lewy

FNQCairns
13-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Most just do it, often the the foam removed can be placed elsewhere even if in smaller pieces.

cheers fnq

Ringoscar
14-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Air/fuel in the tank is buoyant, too, remember. Mount the tank on timber blocks or ply sheet so it doesn't chafe the alloy, and strap it so it won't move. If you can find space for the foam somewhere around the engine well, that's good - usually the heavier end of the boat. Maybe wrap the blocks in poly sheet.

gofishin
14-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Mate, proceed with caution! There are more risks than just the insurance issue, and if there ever was a fatality that could be directly attributed to your modifications you could be found liable, whether under your ownership or subsequent ownership(s). OK, enough of the doom and gloom.

Does your ABP say Level or Basic Flotation? In this size and configuration (entry level runabout with rear thwart from memory) I am guessing Basic. Does the builder offer an underfloor tank as an option in this or any similar models? If not there is a good reason. Your boat would probably have a drop floor at the helm, so there is not much underfloor volume left for flotation in this size/style of boat (that’s why you have a foam filled rear thwart).

With basic flotation how many people the boat will/can carry is irrelevant. The flotation is there just to stop the boat sinking, and importantly, give the occupants something to hang on to when they are in the drink.

A fuel tank should not be considered as a buoyant device. In fact n a capsize situation the fuel can be displaced by the water and end up inside your upturned hull – thus making your flotation ‘disappear’.

If there is insufficient underfloor space directly adjacent to where you propose to install the tank, forget about it, enjoy your boat and start saving up for the next one that has an underfloor tank.

My 2c worth anyway.
cheers

curepipe
14-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks Guys

I may leave the foam and place the fuel tank where it is now its just in the way thats all

Cheers