PDA

View Full Version : Marlin growth rates

loophole
12-04-2008, 07:03 PM
people im intrested to know the growth rates on marlin.
Like how old a 1000lb fish would be ?

choppa
12-04-2008, 07:16 PM
interesting query,,, and the answers are very diversed,,,,, if you do a google on ""marlin growth"",, theres a host of websites that all give a different viewpoint in some way or another,,,

it is proven tho' (apparently),,, that females outsize males,,, depending on species and area of info,,, one article i read on recapture of striped/black marlin showed an area of 500kn miles being a common denominator,,, this i think would have an impact on growth,, but that article was read over 2-3 yrs ago,,, things may have changed

makes ya wonder why people get a bit upset over trophy hunters of this species,,,

choppa

loophole
12-04-2008, 07:18 PM
interesting query,,, and the answers are very diversed,,,,, if you do a google on ""marlin growth"",, theres a host of websites that all give a different viewpoint in some way or another,,,

it is proven tho' (apparently),,, that females outsize males,,, depending on species and area of info,,, one article i read on recapture of striped/black marlin showed an area of 500kn miles being a common denominator,,, this i think would have an impact on growth,, but that article was read over 2-3 yrs ago,,, things may have changed

makes ya wonder why people get a bit upset over trophy hunters of this species,,,

choppa

yes if any one had any scientific research it would make a good read.

Greg P
12-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Pay your money and go for your life - plenty here if you are keen

http://www.publish.csiro.au/nid/127/issue/637.htm

Julian Pepperell is the guy to search out regarding research

Keechie
12-04-2008, 07:23 PM
ok i have been reading through a few websites because i am keen on knowing this also, it states on wikipedia (which can be an unreliable source) states that marlin can live to 50 years old, although a blue marlin caught in 1984 on a boat called black bart was weighed at 1656 pounds and was interpretted by biologists that it was about 32 years old. so by me roughly guessing depending on the diet the fish could be about 20-25 years old. thats just my input.

regards,
keechie

loophole
12-04-2008, 07:28 PM
ok i have been reading through a few websites because i am keen on knowing this also, it states on wikipedia (which can be an unreliable source) states that marlin can live to 50 years old, although a blue marlin caught in 1984 on a boat called black bart was weighed at 1656 pounds and was interpretted by biologists that it was about 32 years old. so by me roughly guessing depending on the diet the fish could be about 20-25 years old. thats just my input.

regards,
keechie

thanks keechie ive recnetly become intrested in knowing about them lol
whats the smallest marlin someone has caught?

Keechie
12-04-2008, 07:34 PM
thanks keechie ive recnetly become intrested in knowing about them lol
whats the smallest marlin someone has caught?

the smallest i have heard was a 80lb black i think it was but looking on the internet they get down to like 40lbs and lower.

regards,
keechie

roz
12-04-2008, 09:32 PM
the object of tagg & release, is to establish growth and migration patterns of certain species. One Australia wide organisation which encourages this is A.N.S.A, you might jump on their web site for a look see. Unfortunately my only tagg & relaese bill fish has never been recaptured.

I did have first hand knowlege of a 5kg marlin caught in the Kingscliff area...spoke to the chappie who did.

r.

sleepygreg
13-04-2008, 12:28 AM
A couple of years ago there was a heap of juvenile black marlin caught in the Redcliffe Billfish Tournament, they were all around the 3 - 5 kg mark, and were mis identified as sailfish (they were all tagged and released). Dr Julian Pepperill would very much like to get hold of one of these juveniles for scientific research, so if anyone catches one, please keep it and contact Julian...he will move heaven and earth to get it from you. I have know Julian since he was a pimply faced kid doing his thesis and attending all the ANSA Tournaments on the NSW south coast.....disecting any gamefish that came to weigh. He is one of the most down to earth and fisherman friendly 'scientists' going around. He is a pretty damned good fisherman too. So please help him out if you can.

Cheers

Greg

mattooty
13-04-2008, 11:10 AM
In regards to the smallest marlin caught, there have been numerous occasions where marlin the size of garfish have been caught. At that size, small blacks have a dorsal fin that roughly resembles a sailfish as they have a complete fin that goes from head to tail. I'll try and find some picstures to stick up, i think they're roughly around 500g.

finding_time
13-04-2008, 08:31 PM
the smallest i have heard was a 80lb black i think it was but looking on the internet they get down to like 40lbs and lower.

regards,
keechie

Tiny maybe even lower than a kg

Ian

3rd degree
15-04-2008, 12:00 PM
I recall reading that the smallest black marlin ever caught on a line in Australia was at the Narrowneck Artificial reef some years ago by a bloke trolling a 10 or 20 gram raider for tailor.

Can't remember what year it was, somewhere around the 2002/2003 period. The fish from memory was under 30cm in length.

Cheers

Jim