PDA

View Full Version : 50,000 barra for Monduran

Steve B
12-04-2008, 10:27 AM
The MASA (monduran anglers and stocking association) yesterday released another 50,000 barra fingerlings into Lake Monduran.

We had 4 boat releasing the 50mm fingerlings in many varied areas around the dam yesterday afternoon. NOT A BIRD in sight!!! No one reported any deaths upon release either. I know the thousands I let go swam off brilliantly.

This is my first experience with the release of fingerlings as part of MASA, and I must say it is a rewarding feeling which was equally shared with the existing longer term members.

MASA are a great bunch of local men and women, who volounteer all their time over many years now to create, and continue to stock this great impoundment. I asked the president "when are we doing this again" his reply, "as soon as more fingerlings become available". The future looks good.

cheers steve

NAGG
12-04-2008, 10:39 AM
The MASA (monduran anglers and stocking association) yesterday released another 50,000 barra fingerlings into Lake Monduran.

We had 4 boat releasing the 50mm fingerlings in many varied areas around the dam yesterday afternoon. NOT A BIRD in sight!!! No one reported any deaths upon release either. I know the thousands I let go swam off brilliantly.

This is my first experience with the release of fingerlings as part of MASA, and I must say it is a rewarding feeling which was equally shared with the existing longer term members.

MASA are a great bunch of local men and women, who volounteer all their time over many years now to create, and continue to stock this great impoundment. I asked the president "when are we doing this again" his reply, "as soon as more fingerlings become available". The future looks good.

cheers steve

Well done MASA:thumbsup:

& thanks for letting us know Steve! + your participation

It just goes to show that time & effort is put into stocking that magnificent impoundment:)
& the barra just dont appear!

Cheers

Nagg

the_matrix
12-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Nice work Steve,
Got a call from Kurt Hutchby the other day, we too have a stocking day coming up with similar numbers for Awoonga.
Is a reinvigorating feeling hey.
Well done MASA.
Cheers
Jas

Gordie
12-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Great to hear this. Lets hope we can get something done about the bag limit over the next few years.

If there are any ideas out there then start typing.

For and against it doesn't matter.

Regards gordon

BR65
12-04-2008, 01:43 PM
good news Steve

cheers
brian

cammo79
12-04-2008, 01:47 PM
good on yous all,our work rewards so many of us

thanks

Steve B
12-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Jas, yeah it is good feeling. good to see Awoonga still stocking heaps.

Thanks chris, gordon, brian and cammo, Being new to MASA, all the planning and work has been done for this batch before my time. I have really not done anything except spread the little buggers all over the dam!!! which was quite fun.. I did whisper to them to remember my boat, they will be back in it in a few years:D ;) .

It was quite an eye opener for a newbie to see the process behind getting them here safely from bowen, with the tanks and the O2 system. I took a couple of pics, I will try to attach them soon.

cheers steve

crab man
12-04-2008, 04:42 PM
congrads steve and everybody that helped !!
Mate how quick do these things grow ?? 50 mm to what ? in a year ?
interesting system ive seen the set up they use here at clarrie hall and hinze dam etc very interesting!! lets hope they hide quick and eat lots!!!!
just another thing how is the cry fish stocks in monduran ?
Cheers and many thanks craig

NAGG
12-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Jas, yeah it is good feeling. good to see Awoonga still stocking heaps.

Thanks chris, gordon, brian and cammo, Being new to MASA, all the planning and work has been done for this batch before my time. I have really not done anything except spread the little buggers all over the dam!!! which was quite fun.. I did whisper to them to remember my boat, they will be back in it in a few years:D ;) .

It was quite an eye opener for a newbie to see the process behind getting them here safely from bowen, with the tanks and the O2 system. I took a couple of pics, I will try to attach them soon.

cheers steve

Bowen ??? ..... Tell us more?
I thought you guys got your stock from Gladstone or bred them locally:-/

Cheers

Nagg

the_matrix
12-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Mate how quick do these things grow ?? 50 mm to what ? in a year ?

Typically a 50mm fingerling will reach legal size within 12months, however a number of factors determine this, they are weather/water temps, and available food source.
28 degree's is a very important number to Barra, this is optimum water temp for growth, and in the wild once water temps reach 28 degree's this becomes the catalyst for breeding. Its also ideal water temp for catching.;D

Out of the 50,000 stocked fish, about 70% will not survive, so roughly 15,000 will kick on.
This too varies + or - but is an average.
15,000 is a great top up.
Cheers
Jas

Tropicaltrout
12-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Fantastic news steve its a good feeling putting something back to the lake we all love.

How many times a year does the fish go in with the mortality rate of these fish explained by Jas not to mention the numb nuts that don't handle these fish right and catch and keep fellas, the survival rate would be somewhat lowwer than that of the bass dams due to fishing pressure, climate etc?

Cheers Nath

Steve B
12-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Nath your right, its hard enough for them to get a start!! Then they have to survive the meatos and the misshandling. We cant really help the survival rate underwater, but we can above. Thats my plan within MASA to get some signs for careful handling at the ramps and brochures with more detailed handling techniques to be supplied with SIP at Foxies and probably the dam too.

That is one way to improve the out-of-water survival rate. The info and brochures MAY just plant the C&R seed in the meatos head. Who knows, if the meatos actually take the time to handle the fish nicely...they might just say "hey, why don't we let it go now!! If only one does it.....its a start and a bonus IMHO.

Jas, thanks for supplying that info. Its a pretty daunting survival rate 30%% . Legal size in 1 year is pretty rapid growth!!

Craig, bait fish is plentiful thankfully. I saw heaps and heaps of guppies (not sure what they will grow to be) up in a few of the bays yesterday. and heaps of boneys on the sounder in main basin. The gar breed like mad as well according to the locals in MASA.

Chris, yeah there is a big hatchery in Bowen..I am not sure of the facts about it, or where they got fingerlings previously. Jas might know more, Not sure about the one in gladstone, I would guess it would solely supply Awoonga. Again Jas might be able to elaborate.

NAGG
12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Nath your right, its hard enough for them to get a start!! Then they have to survive the meatos and the misshandling. We cant really help the survival rate underwater, but we can above. Thats my plan within MASA to get some signs for careful handling at the ramps and brochures with more detailed handling techniques to be supplied with SIP at Foxies and probably the dam too.

That is one way to improve the out-of-water survival rate. The info and brochures MAY just plant the C&R seed in the meatos head. Who knows, if the meatos actually take the time to handle the fish nicely...they might just say "hey, why don't we let it go now!! If only one does it.....its a start and a bonus IMHO.

Jas, thanks for supplying that info. Its a pretty daunting survival rate 30%% . Legal size in 1 year is pretty rapid growth!!

Craig, bait fish is plentiful thankfully. I saw heaps and heaps of guppies (not sure what they will grow to be) up in a few of the bays yesterday. and heaps of boneys on the sounder in main basin. The gar breed like mad as well according to the locals in MASA.

Chris, yeah there is a big hatchery in Bowen..I am not sure of the facts about it, or where they got fingerlings previously. Jas might know more, Not sure about the one in gladstone, I would guess it would solely supply Awoonga. Again Jas might be able to elaborate.

'Awoonga" Trev .... tells me the that the GWA hatchery these days has to be self sustaining ( make a buck $$$$) ..... So they would be trying to sell fingerling's left right & centre:-/
Nagg

PS .... If Jas's 30%survival rate is correct! ...... IMO that would probably be much better than wild fish!
....... I just cant imagine those numbers in any given estuary system:-/

crab man
13-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks jas and steve , i think there shold be a huge sign at the ramp with the figures on it i think the meat guys might slow down a little , maybe this sounds over the top but with over fishing ,meaters , and people who just dont give a f*ck , could destroy a fishery like monduran,
Ifound it really interesting that they stock the BB (Babie Barra) at the end of summer ? i guess atleast there should be less fishos

Dan5
13-04-2008, 09:42 AM
PS .... If Jas's 30%survival rate is correct! ...... IMO that would probably be much better than wild fish!
.... I just cant imagine those numbers in any given estuary system:-/[/quote]

At Corroboree lagoon every 2 year's fisherie's net's off a hundred meter section and does a fish count,the numbers usually range between 800-1000 or so barra.

Not bad for wild freshwater fish,

Dan...

Whitto
13-04-2008, 10:37 AM

cheers steve Good work Steve/MASA, They will be Teenagers with plenty of attitude in no time judging by Jas growth rate info, U wouldn't want to be a fingerling for quids ( sh++ting chips on a daily basis), Still we are very lucky to have dedicated people at the coal face, Well done and Thanks, Cheers Whitto:D

the_matrix
13-04-2008, 10:50 AM
25-30% survival rate is hatchery statistics, as stated there is variance with weather, birdlife and available digestable protein.
What is immeasurable is that while impoundments are there for people to catch fish, there will always be an element of undesirables.
They dont want to learn catch and release, or handling practises, they are not there for the same reasons most of us are.
Although it pains me to say this, I'd much rather those undesirables in our artificially created waterways than smashing up our wild stocks, or killing valuable brooders.
Considering the stocking effort, the fishery can sustain fish being taken out.
Whether we like it or not, thats why they were bloody stocked in the first place.

Steve, I like your passion and effort you display regarding the waterway and would never discourage that, I too feel the same way and have immeasurable respect for the inhabitants.
However, I have seen the types that frequent these favs of ours, and seen Awoonga go through a mega boom, when the meato's turn up the knives are already sharpened.
It goes with the territory, and although education is the key, some will never bother with it no matter how many sign, handouts or the like are out there.
Some just dont get it!
But the flip side is, even if the signs or handouts make one person stop and think, well its been worth it.
Im just pointing out it will never be rubbed out completley.

Nagg, bit hard to compare salt with fresh mate.
You'd be surprised whats in some of those creeks up North.
Places like the Goomadir, the Blyth, Junction Bay etc, wow 100 fish sessions per boat with 4 or 5 boats fishing. Thats some big numbers.
Cheers
Jas

Whitto
13-04-2008, 11:42 AM
It's called TUNNEL VISION, no matter what u do or say there is always an element that are there for one thing. Having said that Steve's idea is a good one even if a few people are made aware and practice the information then it has been a worthwhile exercise, Cheers Whitto

Rockfish
13-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Its great to see the locals getting in there and doing their very best to ensure the Barra population of a great impoundment. I congratulate you guys on your efforts.

Maybe one day Monduran will rival the likes of Awoonga for pure numbers of fish released and more importantly the number 1 locality to catch huge barra in Australia.

All we need to do now is to get rid of those filleting tables from the stocked impoundments and promote them as CR and CPR fisheries entirely.

moggy1
13-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Facts state that in a heavily boney bream populated dam such as Monduran barra can grow 1mm a day in winter and 3mm a day in summer. That is of course as jas stated the temp & food variances. These figures are minimuim growth rates. More food & temp would yeild greater growth rates. So the fingerlings will be just fine released at this time of the year.
Cheers Moggy

castamasta
13-04-2008, 05:58 PM
hi steve,sorry i havnt been intouch mate,been very very busy [except for one sneaky trip up your way :].anyway good work and thanks for the stocking groups work,not just you and the boys and girls of your local group but all stocking groups,with them we dont have these great fisheries.by the way i havnt forgoten the pics ther are coming soon, promise.looking forward to catching up,cheers,gav.

Magella
13-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey Steve,
To help with your question on where Monduran Barra come from, in the past all came your Awoonga hatchery, until a couple of years ago when they could not supply the Barra. They all came from Awoonga as we had to stock southern strain barra as they were what the DPI said had to be stocked. Then after the year of non supply MASSA kicked up a stink and now they can stock southern and central stain barra which gives MASSA a choice of where they get there barra and they don't have to put all there eggs in the one basket, so if one hatchery can't supplythey can get them somewhere else.

Well done MASSA And yea Steve it is a real buzz to release fish.

Cheers Foxie

Ps Steve you can't count these Barra as fish boated for the year.

Steve B
13-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks foxie, good to see you back on deck!! Thanks for that info about MASA stocking and finglerling supply.

I'm working on the karma principle!!! good deed and the barra gods will smile on me ....for a change this year!!

Ha Ha, I have had about 10000 barra in my boat this year!!! luck I practice C & R!!! Filleting them would be tricky!!

See ya soon Foxie,

Steve

Peter4
14-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Great work Steve.

The more barra there are the happier I get! One of those little buggers could be my PB in 10 years time!

Regs

Pete

Colo77
14-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey Steve,
To help with your question on where Monduran Barra come from, in the past all came your Awoonga hatchery, until a couple of years ago when they could not supply the Barra. They all came from Awoonga as we had to stock southern strain barra as they were what the DPI said had to be stocked. Then after the year of non supply MASSA kicked up a stink and now they can stock southern and central stain barra which gives MASSA a choice of where they get there barra and they don't have to put all there eggs in the one basket, so if one hatchery can't supplythey can get them somewhere else.

Well done MASSA And yea Steve it is a real buzz to release fish.

Cheers Foxie

Ps Steve you can't count these Barra as fish boated for the year.

Well done MASA on the release of the 50k barra.

Interesting you can get some stock from Bowen, I thought there were only the 2 strain of barra, Northern and Southern and that the DPI were dead against any type of crossbreed (if they escape the dam) even southern and "central" strain.

I havn't been involved in a stocking group for a couple of years now but I'll be sure to let my former stocking group colleagues know of this info so they can continue stocking out Emerald way. (They used to get their stock from GAWB too)

It is a very rewarding feeling letting all those little fellas go and dreaming of how they'll be on the end of your line in years to come. Hopefully the Emerald boys can continue on with their efforts this year and I hope they've followed up on the SIPS application (they're gonna need it to make a decent fishery at Fairbairn). Most of their efforts had been on stocking local weirs as it is an achievable task to make a good fishery of it but they'd have to loose a fair few each year as the fish feel the urge to migrate downstream to the salt.

They have a pretty daunting task trying to stock decent numbers in a dam the size of Fairbairn but the dam itself shows a heap of potential in becoming a world class barra fishery oneday. To stock it at 100 fish per hectare per year would require something like $500k per year (Can't remember exactly). Considering the amount they have put in, an awful lot turned up on the shore during last years nasty winter so survival rates must be fairly high.

Anyway, congrats again to MASA and all the other stocking groups around QLD. Hopefully I'll get down that way oneday to have a crack at some Monduran Barra. It sounds like an awesome fishery.

Cheers, Colo

Whitto
14-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks foxie, good to see you back on deck!! Thanks for that info about MASA stocking and finglerling supply.

I'm working on the karma principle!!! good deed and the barra gods will smile on me ....for a change this year!!

Ha Ha, I have had about 10000 barra in my boat this year!!! luck I practice C & R!!! Filleting them would be tricky!!

See ya soon Foxie,

Steve I don't think it would be too tricky Steve, Im sure Foxie would sell really really really really small filleting knives::), I don't have that problem like yourself I practice CPR very professionally, Cheers from Smart arse Whitto;D PS Can u say arse :-/

tazzydevil
14-04-2008, 01:15 PM
whats so good about monduran every one on this website just posts things about it. went there once while hervey bay fishing. got just one golden perch from the bank.

Magella
14-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Colo
I think that the DPI now believe that there are three stains Northern, Central and Southern and we are allowed to stock the last two.
Cheers Foxie

nipsta
14-04-2008, 05:07 PM
fantastic to see a few more released more numbers the better chance i can crack that metre mark in a sooner then later and on the lure steve talked me into buying from foxies .

whitto i see your heading up with tropicaltrout make sure you check out his flash strip lights in his boat there a pair of beautys and dont blame me if the welds break i hope when i fix the trailer it holds together lol

oh yeah it will be good to have to ambos there this time that way i have some one who can help me if my back gives way this time .

see you lads for the m & g for several cold ones

Whitto
14-04-2008, 06:02 PM
fantastic to see a few more released more numbers the better chance i can crack that metre mark in a sooner then later and on the lure steve talked me into buying from foxies .

whitto i see your heading up with tropicaltrout make sure you check out his flash strip lights in his boat there a pair of beautys and dont blame me if the welds break i hope when i fix the trailer it holds together lol

oh yeah it will be good to have to ambos there this time that way i have some one who can help me if my back gives way this time .

see you lads for the m & g for several cold ones No worries Nipsta Ill bring some rubbing alcohol its a new product called Wild Turkey ;D enough of that will hold the pain at bay, Cheers Whitto

Whitto
14-04-2008, 06:23 PM
whats so good about monduran every one on this website just posts things about it. went there once while hervey bay fishing. got just one golden perch from the bank. Don't worry TD plenty of others have been to Mondy including myself and not boated a scale at least u got a Yella:D, I call it fishing not catching, But I will guarantee u hooked for life when u do get a Barra;D, Cheers Whitto

nipsta
14-04-2008, 07:06 PM
No worries Nipsta Ill bring some rubbing alcohol its a new product called Wild Turkey ;D enough of that will hold the pain at bay, Cheers Whitto

ok no worries i have my rubbing achol too southern comfort on special at the moment at liquor land 1 litre for 40 bucks should get me through the weekend i say oh yeah and ill weld it propley for him dont want yas to miss out cause i buggered a weld i just was hoping to get a bite but like our trip yesturday to bourumba not a reation (ba the little hits just before we where ready to come home

BR65
14-04-2008, 07:12 PM
whats so good about monduran every one on this website just posts things about it. went there once while hervey bay fishing. got just one golden perch from the bank.

nothin good there mate, terrible place full of mozzies::) ::) ::)

I hear Awoonga is the gun spot, plenty of barra there::) ::) ::)

Nah, I'll be serious, if you like the challenge of trying to pull big barra out of flooded trees, Mondy is "da bomb"

Tropicaltrout
14-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey greg we are sharing a tent mate not too much rubbing turkey :drunk: ;D ;D

Nah it will be a great week end looking forward to it but i will stick to few ales i don't want the :bomb: ;D ;D

Cheers NATH

nipsta
14-04-2008, 07:41 PM

Nah it will be a great week end looking forward to it but i will stick to few ales i don't want the :bomb: ;D ;D

Cheers NATH
hahahaha i definelty setting up away from that tenrt you too might be broke back monduran in that tent lol its started already m & g here we go

Steve B
14-04-2008, 08:18 PM

Whats so good about it??? Check out some of the pics posted from monduran over the last year.

Unfortunately tazzy, you cant expect to rock up for one trip, fish off the bank, and expect catch a barra. It can happen, but its very unlikely.

Catching a yella is MORE rare!! I didnt even know they were in there. they are not stocked nor do the breed this side of the GDR or in impoundments.

give it another go, preferably in a boat. you will give youself a better chance at a barra, then you will know what the fuss is about

cheers steve

BR65
14-04-2008, 08:27 PM
took a mate of mine up there earlier this year Steve, he used to fish ABT bass, he became very excited seeing some of the rocky drop offs, muttering something bout "yellas", I just told him to shut up and hang on, no barra there

Colo77
14-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Colo
I think that the DPI now believe that there are three stains Northern, Central and Southern and we are allowed to stock the last two.
Cheers Foxie

That's good news Foxie, the two latter strains must be very closely related.

I guess we're only talking about the difference between a wild barra from Rockhampton and a wild barra from here in Mackay. There'd be nothing in it.

The old stocking group buddies from Emerald will be thrilled with the news if they don't already know.

Cheers, Colo

Pumba
14-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Whats so good about it??? Check out some of the pics posted from monduran over the last year.

Unfortunately tazzy, you cant expect to rock up for one trip, fish off the bank, and expect catch a barra. It can happen, but its very unlikely.

Catching a yella is MORE rare!! I didnt even know they were in there. they are not stocked nor do the breed this side of the GDR or in impoundments.

give it another go, preferably in a boat. you will give youself a better chance at a barra, then you will know what the fuss is about

cheers steve

Steve,
Yellowbelly have been stocked in years past and they do breed on the eastern side of the dividing range (in the rivers, not in impoundments). Its just the Murray Darling strain that you get on the other side of the range. DPI have recognised that there is a eastern strain as well as the northern (Fitzroy Dawson) and Western (MD) strain of golden. DPI would have stocked them years ago and before the SIP scheme came in.

Just the last few years the abundant availability and attraction to southern anglers have swayed the stocking preference to Barramundi and Bass. Who would travel 5 hours from Brisbane to catch a yella? We are too spoilt in SEQ for choice in our local impoundments to warrant such a trip for just a yellowbelly.

Matt

Colo77
14-04-2008, 08:51 PM

cheers steve

You probably caught a bass Taz, ya goose. :)

What Steve said (above).

Colo

Obi _ Wan
15-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Steve B,
Well done MASA, GOOD WORK, and Steve i agree it's a great feeling to see the fingerlings swim off into their new world.
Watching the fingerlings swim off is great but an even much better feeling is gained when you release a big girl over a metre long and see her swim off waving goodbye with her big tail as she dissappears into the depths.

I'm one who believes that these fish are just to good to be only caught once, twice or even many times, if handled properly these fish will continue to give fishermen the thrill of a lifetime. At the same time, it is a put and take fishery and i can not begrudge the person who chooses to keep a fish within the laws.

Three or four years ago the meato's hit Faust and the stench of the rotting frames just thrown over the bank either side of the ramp was absoultely disgusting.

I recently broke my habit of driving past Monduran and Awoonga and had a three and a bit days fantastic fishing at Awoonga. I am now considering making a return series of trips to Monduran and Awoonga, trying to make the Sweetwater M&G in May, not certain yet.

Once again well done.

Cheers,
John.

Awoonga
15-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Thems Wog Barra that they put in Monduran l tell you...You just gota put some good ole Garlic on your lures...Central strain yea right...:-X :-X ....But 50,000 is better than nothing ....But l fear for them The Southern strain will bashem up.....Foxy stock up on your sent range mate....

Whitto
15-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Thems Wog Barra that they put in Monduran l tell you...You just gota put some good ole Garlic on your lures...Central strain yea right...:-X :-X ....But 50,000 is better than nothing ....But l fear for them The Southern strain will bashem up.....Foxy stock up on your sent range mate.... Trev try and get down to Monduran for the meet and greet if at all possible, Mate I buy the Garlic spray all the time, bloody beautiful on steak sizzling away on the leccie barby's;D u should try it, Cheers Whitto::)::)

the_matrix
15-04-2008, 04:19 PM
wog barra........................one of figjams finest;D ;D ;D
Save some garlic spray for me whitto, its great for making impoundment barra taste ok I hear
PS My mate Jenko tells me it repells cancer.
Cheers
Jas

two fold
15-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Thems Wog Barra that they put in Monduran l tell you...You just gota put some good ole Garlic on your lures...Central strain yea right...:-X :-X ....But 50,000 is better than nothing ....But l fear for them The Southern strain will bashem up.....Foxy stock up on your sent range mate....
as a proud aussie and proud italian would you mind explaning what "wog barra" are please awonga???
purcho

Awoonga
15-04-2008, 05:52 PM
The term Wog ..".".means Western Oriental Gentlemen ""

Awoonga
15-04-2008, 05:55 PM
wog barra........................one of figjams finest;D ;D ;D
Save some garlic spray for me whitto, its great for making impoundment barra taste ok I hear
PS My mate Jenko tells me it repells cancer.
Cheers
Jas
Whats "Fig jam" mean Jason .....???

Whitto
15-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Gee's I can't wait to see your reply on this one Trev, Go easy on him Purcho he's not a bad bloke and a fair Barra fisherman, Cheers Whitto::)

Whitto
15-04-2008, 05:58 PM
The term Wog ..".".means Western Oriental Gentlemen ""You were too quick for me, One of your best Trev Whitto

the_matrix
15-04-2008, 06:10 PM
;D You'll work it out

the_matrix
15-04-2008, 06:42 PM
as a proud aussie and proud italian would you mind explaning what "wog barra" are please awonga???
purcho
Purcho,
I wouldnt get too stressed out mate, we're a light hearted bunch on here who dont mind a bit of banter, Im sure he doesnt mean anything personal right Trevor??
Cheers
Jas

NAGG
15-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Purcho,
I wouldnt get too stressed out mate, we're a light hearted bunch on here who dont mind a bit of banter, Im sure he doesnt mean anything personal right Trevor??
Cheers
Jas

Yeh too right Jas .. nothing malicious at all ...... It was Trevs reference to northern bred barra ;D I kacked myself when he first mentioned it!;D ...... & he said it with a straight face!

Cheers

Nagg

Tropicaltrout
15-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeh too right Jas .. nothing malicious at all ...... It was Trevs reference to northern bred barra ;D I kacked myself when he first mentioned it!;D ...... & he said it with a straight face!

Cheers

Nagg

I think he said it with a glass of Vino, whilst eating pizza;D

NAGG
15-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I think he said it with a glass of Vino, whilst eating pizza;D

Actually ..... I think it was a can of Coke & a chicken sanga ( no mayo) ;D

Obi _ Wan
15-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey Jas,

I'll ask the question too?

Just What Does Fig--Jam mean in fisho talk???????

Steve B
15-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Steve,
Yellowbelly have been stocked in years past and they do breed on the eastern side of the dividing range (in the rivers, not in impoundments). Its just the Murray Darling strain that you get on the other side of the range. DPI have recognised that there is a eastern strain as well as the northern (Fitzroy Dawson) and Western (MD) strain of golden. DPI would have stocked them years ago and before the SIP scheme came in.

Just the last few years the abundant availability and attraction to southern anglers have swayed the stocking preference to Barramundi and Bass. Who would travel 5 hours from Brisbane to catch a yella? We are too spoilt in SEQ for choice in our local impoundments to warrant such a trip for just a yellowbelly.

Matt

Matt, thanks for that info, much appreciated.The old yella is pretty fun in the sticks at BP, cooby and somerset, had some great fun on spinnerbaits over the years. About the only fish that tastes OK out of a dam.!!

cheers steve

crab man
16-04-2008, 04:09 PM

Cheers NATH

Gee Nath sounds like you guys are planning a bit of a broke back barra trip :-* here mate !!!!;D
Lucky last time i seen you there with your misses and little girl , or i would be suss !!!
A good mate of mine once said even a gay barra trip is better then none at all :-X hahaha Cheers Craig

Whitto
16-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Gee Nath sounds like you guys are planning a bit of a broke back barra trip :-* here mate !!!!;D
Lucky last time i seen you there with your misses and little girl , or i would be suss !!!
A good mate of mine once said even a gay barra trip is better then none at all :-X hahaha Cheers Craig There's no shirt lifting going on here let me give u the tip, the only lifting will be Barra for a foto, Not unless Nath is on the turn and I don't know anything about it, but i doubt it, Whitto

TinarooTriumph
16-04-2008, 04:47 PM
F*#!
Im
Great
Just
Ask
Me

Western Oriental Gentleman LMFAO.

Watch out for those little red dots Trev... they move around all over your forehead and then... :P:D

Gotta love this site sometimes

Awoonga
16-04-2008, 05:46 PM
So thats what it means....Ok from now on its Mr Figam....Bye bye Awoonga even Dr Awoonga....Can l change my user name ???? Love it.....

NAGG
16-04-2008, 06:05 PM
F*#!
Im
Great
Just
Ask
Me

Watch out for those little red dots Trev... they move around all over your forehead and then... :P:D

That's terrible!

the_matrix
16-04-2008, 07:15 PM
aaaawww c'mon trev dont take it to heart.........you dont mind pulling the piss surely a little jest in return cant hurt, look we can still call you dr awoonga or king awoonga or master awoonga or........................figjam hehehe;D ;D
pick your favourite and run with it. ya gonna need a thicker skin than that if you wanna be dr awoonga!:-*
Gosh has everyone gone all serious, first two fold then trev next the world.
whats it coming to!::)
Now Theo was that you with the laser?????;D
Cheers
Jas

crab man
16-04-2008, 07:59 PM
There's no shirt lifting going on here let me give u the tip, the only lifting will be Barra for a foto, Not unless Nath is on the turn and I don't know anything about it, but i doubt it, Whitto

Hi whitto yeah mate i think nath is bigger then me to so we better stop there :P !!!! haha no thanks to nath our last trip out there we found a few fish on his hot tip, i have to take the piss out of you because im stuck here working not barra fishing ::) hahaha
Craig

Tropicaltrout
16-04-2008, 08:21 PM
A good mate of mine once said even a gay barra trip is better then none at all :-X hahaha Cheers Craig

Hey Craig, hows things mate are you not coming to the M&G, its would be good to see you up there again it sounds a ripper trip?

Oh and Whats with all the pillow bitting stuff,:o yuk I was refereing to drinking to much wild turkey and snoring the camp down, I like all things fishy.;D

Take it easy mate hope to see ya up there again one day.......

Nath

Awoonga
17-04-2008, 07:13 AM
aaaawww c'mon trev dont take it to heart.........you dont mind pulling the piss surely a little jest in return cant hurt, look we can still call you dr awoonga or king awoonga or master awoonga or........................figjam hehehe;D ;D
pick your favourite and run with it. ya gonna need a thicker skin than that if you wanna be dr awoonga!:-*
Gosh has everyone gone all serious, first two fold then trev next the world.
whats it coming to!::)
Now Theo was that you with the laser?????;D
Cheers
Jas Jason l thought it was good..... even tried to ring you yesterday... but got some other dude.......Thought that you should take me fishing ...::) ..l could ...if your good..;D give you a few tips...lol....

Awoonga
17-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Steve..er... sorry about Hijacking your post....

crab man
17-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Hey Craig, hows things mate are you not coming to the M&G, its would be good to see you up there again it sounds a ripper trip?

Oh and Whats with all the pillow bitting stuff,:o yuk I was refereing to drinking to much wild turkey and snoring the camp down, I like all things fishy.;D

Take it easy mate hope to see ya up there again one day.......

Nath

Wish i could mate but its the start of our spanner crab season now so i have to work my pro boat every good day we get untill late november , ill try to get up there during the cold winter for some real shallows fishing still have not done that yet ill let you know when i head up there incase you snag a few days off !!
The mate of mine (commenly known as princess by "the sav" and bruce)has now moved up there 30 mins from the dam and has only done one extra trip to the dam :'( it needs to harden up and get out there !!
Cheers Craig

Big_Ren
17-04-2008, 12:33 PM
F*#!
Im
Great
Just
Ask
Me

Gawd Theo...is that what it means;D I was sure it stood for:

Full-On
Impoundment
Guru
Just
Awoonga
Mad

Hope all's well mate.

Cheers
Paul

the_matrix
17-04-2008, 01:13 PM
::) Now there is a genius.....................

Steve B
17-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Big Ren, thats excellent. Ha ha

Trev, no probs, its funny actually....I dont think I have ever seen a thread that stays on track anyway!!:D

Big_Ren
17-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Wouldn't go that far Jas, but thanks;)

Cheers, Steve....in all the frivolity at Trev's expense::) I meant to say "Bloody Brilliant" to you on joining MASA and contributing to the cause. What a feeling that would be, helping 50,000 barra fingerlings start a new life. I really take my hat off to ya.

Good luck with the proactive education campaign as well mate....it's much more than a worthy endeavour, and if as a result, you convert just one meato to a C&R advocate, then your campaign will have been a success.

Cheers guys

Paul

Mighty whitey
17-04-2008, 08:30 PM
[quote=Steve B;799871]The MASA (monduran anglers and stocking association) yesterday released another 50,000 barra fingerlings into Lake Monduran.

50,000 barra,good news steve,
and great news for all the barra fisho's and the ones with barra FEVER like myself.;D

Magella
18-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Big Ren
All I can say is "You got to much spare time on your hands"

Cheers Foxie

Big_Ren
19-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Big Ren
All I can say is "You got to much spare time on your hands"

Cheers Foxie

Wordsmith by trade Foxie.....or just Baron von Bullsh*t as some journos call me.

Cheers
Paul

PS the brothers of darkness are up this weekend...they will be fishing aboard "Crow" this time lol.