PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened with the 1770 polution

blaze
11-04-2008, 10:57 PM
what ever happened with the sarga with the 1770 marina polution, oil seepage from the under ground tanks
cheers
blaze

grinder
11-04-2008, 11:01 PM
looks like I am banned for asking a question lol well not much changes

Lucky_Phill
13-04-2008, 04:08 PM
grinder ?????

blaze, well it was a saga and has turned into a political issue.

To cut the story short:-

EPA said their investigations found '; sludge ". Then further work was done with the Miriam Vale shire council. ( MVSC for short ). The MVSC and the marina people know each other well.

The marina built a grease trap in their dry dock but unfortunately, at some of the high tides, this filled with creek water and poured into the system. This has been fixed ... apparently.

As for the sludge, a study was done and the EPA put a dye into the tanks and have so far found it not to be leaking, but I have evidence ( letter ) stating that the " hydrocarbons " that are the sludge ARE from the fuel tanks. But because the dye has not come out, the EPA and or MVSC are saying the sludge is just the crap oozing out from the landfill that makes up the marina hardstand. It should also be noted that the ' hydrocarbons ' that are ( or where, depends on who you believe ) leaking could have taken many years to penetrate the soil and make it's way into the system/ creek. So as I see it, a dye would also take this long ?

One of the fuel tanks was closed down, but soon re-opened. I believe this was a publicity stunt.

After a couple of phone calls to the MVSC spokesperson on this issue, letters to the local member ( Rob Messenger ) and the MVSC mayor, the issue has been put to bed in that the EPA do not have a problem with this.

Further, I / we did not get private analysis of the substance. As if we did, it would hold no weight as the EPA have done theirs and are happy.

IN the end, the black sludge still oozs, the rocks are blackened as is the surrounding sand.

One will have to make up ones own mind in respect to this issue on who is telling porkies and who is holding who's hand. I am afraid nothing short of a ' govt funded enquiry " is the only option left to resolve this once and for all.

Phill

boatboy50
16-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Phil,

I am sure A current Affair or similar could portray the council to be negligent in destroying such a beautiful ecosystem and pristine area, which is so popular with so many tourists and visitors, who depend on it.

They WILL stop going if it deteriorates.

I could see the TV crew having a ball shoving mics in council reps noses.

Guaranteed they would be interested, and would force some action. Just need to find out who the right people are to talk to make things happen.

Regards

Darren

Reel Nauti
16-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I think Phill and others have probably gone about as far they can with this. When the EPA, MVSC and Mr Marina Murrrgaaaarrrdd all stand back to back as they do, and have done for decades, there is little anyone can do but follow due course. I think this has been done, to the credit of Phill and the troops, but I think it will take a significant fish kill or some other such ecological misfortune before one of the authorities are shaken enough to distance themselves from the mob.

There is no doubt in my mind that the seepage at the ramp is from fuel. You can smell it, feel it, and see it. It's been there for a hell of a lot of years and will remain that way it seems. Perhaps it might take someone with due authority to happen along on holidays and personally object to it enough to do something about it. In my opinion, if the EPA was serious about determining whether a fuel tank had a leak, they would have had it pressure tested. Apparently this did not occur.

Cheers

Dave

Lucky_Phill
16-04-2008, 11:06 PM
You are correct Dave, but with the new Super Councils being put into action, I think it may be time for another crack at them. Thanks Blaze for bringing this up again.

At some stage the ' mates ' will have to lose power or be separated.

Darren, I have thought long and hard about the suggestion you came up with. Trouble starts when the EPA get involved, as they ARE the voice of the Environment and if they say " all is OK " then the tables are turned on the ' trouble makers " and you know how the media works. Yes, one could see an adverse report aimed at the EPA, MVSC or even the Marina operator, but in the end, the EPA have spoken.

I have not accepted defeat, just run into a brick wall and need something to prize open a brick or two to have a shot at weakening that wall.

You know guys, it's really funny, as Dave has said, this leak has been there for years and NO locals seem to be up in arms or even slightly interested in stopping it. What gives ?

Cheers Phill

Reel Nauti
16-04-2008, 11:18 PM
It is, or was, a pretty small community Phill. Some of MVSC people in the past had loose lips - confidentiality was not terribly important. As I understand it some locals had complained over the years, but ultimately incurred the wrath when their identity was revealed. That makes it difficult in a small community, and very quickly puts others off from complaining.

Hope you haven't got your name on your boat Phill. You might end up with some of the treatment I have received from the Marina mob in the past.

Cheers

Dave

disorderly
16-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Sounds like you have grabbed a tiger by the tail there,Phill.
I have had quite a few dealings with EPA,forestry and local council over the last 5 years and commiserate with you...I know too well the brick wall feeling.
We actually received a mostly satisfactory outcome by involving our local member and even Desley boyles office and had started on submissions to the ombudsman....at one stage we were able to dig up some past misdeeds by a particular high ranking council officer regarding disturbing irregularities in the past concerning our case.
Council quickly obtained legal advise and a previous decision made by a unanimous decision by councilors vote was overturned.
Within a year after this they famously became the first queensland council to actually be sacked .(Johnstone Shire Council)
Dont be afraid to use FOI to delve into past records as it's surprising what may turn up.We also started taping phone calls and conversations (good quality micro tape recorderhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif)as it's just amazing how stupid and careless some of these bureaucrats are in their dealings and this can be useful at a later date. Good luckhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Oh yes,and as reel nauti mentioned above and I'm sure you are already aware of, be prepared for the inevitable harassment and the stress which accompanies ithttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif

Scott