PDA

View Full Version : Sika Before or after 2 pack

dnej
11-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I am preparing a small alumimium job for painting.

The material will be acid washed,etch primed,and 2 pack finished.

My question is,when is the best time to apply Sikaflex,that will be used to give a better appearance to some joints.

Do I do this ( A)before the etch priming,( B)after the priming and before the two pack,or( C) must I put it on after the 2 pack?

I would prefer to paint over the Sikaflex,if I can.

Thanks in advance
David

ronnien
11-04-2008, 10:24 PM
hi mate go with no 2.

ron.

Nico.d.R
12-04-2008, 12:04 AM
mate make sure its a paintable sikaflex alot off them the paint wont stick . I would do it last because 2pac drys hard and the sikaflex is soft so it will crack the 2pac after a bit of time . you should be able to get it neet by wipeing off the access with a wet rag or a rag with thinners it depends on what sort of sikaflex you use , check the clean up methods on the sikaflex and wet the rag with that .

Mark-P
12-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi David, paint first ... Then mask your joint , use only marine grade sika & clean up with turps....Also use the primer thats availible from sika, it dosn't stick to painted surfaces as well & BTW never use METHO on sika , it reacts & will not quere !!!
All the best

Mark

dnej
12-04-2008, 07:59 AM
always find it interesting to get the opinion of those that have obviously done this before
Many thanks for thr replies.
David

sheridan
12-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi David
As a spraypainter in the automative game for 23 yrs with major smash work on engine bays we used 221 sikaflex directly on join left to dry overnight so it has cured you get better adhesion to clean metal and sealing properties than any primer even super etch . Once cured, etch then paint 2 pak if submerced suggest marine grade sikaflex .Just makesure it has cured before painting. As you are applying it directly to the metal you can work it easier with a bit of general purpose thinners on a rag with your finger so you get a nice seam without damaging any painted surface.

Geoff