PDA

View Full Version : How to anchor a boat off the reef

rcfisher
11-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey everybody
Off to Northwest island again this year and would love to get some info on how you guys anchor your boats off the edge of the reef. Went across 2 years ago and nothing but dramas. Left my boat out 1 night on the edge only 2 wake up the next morninig and see that it had drifted off. Long story short went out and found it about 8 klms from the island .(not a good feeling)so what sort of anchor would you recomend? Some people say 1 out the back and 1 out the front but others say they will tangle. Last time i had 1 single sand pick out but did not do the trick. what would you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance Ryan.

MTAQ/BTAQ
12-04-2008, 06:24 AM
I visit NW Island every year for about 10 days in August - we take a 6 metre boat over on the barge "Curtis Endeavour".

We always anchor in the lagoon - never off the edge of the reef. When anchoring in the lagoon you anchor stern into the beach tied off to a tree (this one acts as "insurance" just in case your main anchor breaks then at least you havent lost your boat). We have a double danforth anchor off the bow (anchors about 10 metres apart linked with chain), leave plenty of scope so that if there is a change in wind direction then she will point into the wind and waves.

Admittedly you do not have use of the boat at low tide but as soon as water is knee deep then you can go out on shallow water drive and just ease across the reef edge in the channel.

I have heard of boats being capsized/tossed onto the reef when left over night off the reef.

rcfisher
12-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Good thinking with the rope off to a tree in the lagoon for insurance but i would still like to try and leave it outside if there is a good forcast for the following day and a low tide early in the morning.