PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good sealer for ply? and other advise for fitting marine carpet

plaztix
11-04-2008, 10:09 PM
I've built my casting deck out of ply and just need to finish sealing it and stick the marine carpet down. I got told to use everdure and the bloke at bias recommended 1L would be enough, only did 1 coat:P::)

Is 'everdure' the ducks nuts?

What other sealers are good?

Do i need to use a special type of contact or is normal carpet / vinyl contact suitable for a marine carpet application?

Where can i get stainless staples (or something that wont corrode) for the carpet thats wrapped around the edges?

Cheers

Mat

BaitThrower
11-04-2008, 10:28 PM
I use Feast Watson Spar Varnish.
http://www.feastwatson.com.au/FinishesMarine.asp

Has worked great protecting my battery box and other wooden items on my open dinghy. Makes things all glossy though, but you can "see" the protection it offers :)

Prior to that I used some kind of oil based protector that claimed to do the same from the boat shop, but it was pretty average!

ronnien
11-04-2008, 10:52 PM
hi mate, what i did, is first coat oil based undercoat thinned out with turps this allows 2 get into the grain & seal it 2nd coat again undercoat but not as much turps, 3rd coat was with enamel based paving paint as well as 4th coat. carpet is rolled around with s/s staples & glue, did it 2yrs ago & still looks like done it yesterday.

ron.

maztez
12-04-2008, 06:08 AM
Hi Ive used Bondcrete as a sealer applied liberally and synthetic grass glue for the carpet .All items from B.....ings.
cheersTerry

sneddo
12-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi, i have fitted out a few boats, first used marine ply, and it is very expensive and its not what its cracked up to be, i am a builder and have had to replace it on floating pontoons after only a year, if you have unlimited funds then treated pine marine ply is the best but at over 250 a sheet is a bit much. Formwork ply and CD ply are the best ply. Formply does not have to be sealed, only when you cut the edge, i am using CD im my boat now and will seal it with Boncrete 1:2 ratio with water to seal all surfaces. As for the glue i have used Anchor weld contact glue to carpet the floor and casting platforms. The best way to finish the edge is to leave enough carpet to wrap the under side and aplly lots of glue and make sure it tacks off before you stick it down. Even stainless staples will eventually rust out.
Bets way to apply the contact glue is the buy a cheap spray gun with a big nozzle and spay the glue onto both surfaces, cheers, sneddo.

Mark-P
12-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Mate just use a quality contact ( selleys ) Dont worrie about staples, just clamp the under side till the contact sets.... If you apply enough contact this will also seal the ply to assist the sealer you've already used .... All the best !

Mark

fivefishes
12-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Plaztix,

Suprised no one has suggested fibreglass resin yet, might be some reason not to use it but i sealed my floor and casting deck 3-4 years ago and it's still in tip top condition. Not too dear either, way cheaper than everdure and less work, just got to get used to that resin smell.

Matt

Stuart
12-04-2008, 11:30 AM
If you have look through all the timber boat building sites you will find they all use an Epoxy to seal all timber. Use two coats to seal ply or any hardwood, allow the first coat to dry then light sand with 180 and apply the last coat. This will last forever and a day.

Stu

woodsy76
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
i have used bondcrete very happy with the results no probs woodsy

jimbo59
12-04-2008, 01:53 PM
fibreglass resin with 20% acetone.

screaming reels
12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Mate resin and hardner brush on well,let dry very light sand then flowcoat ,will strengthen and seal for a long time then add carpet cheers Brent

Horse
12-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Epoxy resin like West will seal well. The recent best practice info is not to use thinned products such as everdure as the solvents do not allow a proper membrane to develop. It is better to thin the first coat by warming on the job with a heat gun etc to increase absorbtion
Polyester resin is another option but needs the first prime coat to be thinned 10-20% with monostyrene to bond properly then a layer of thin mat or dynel wetted out
Bondcrete sounds easy but I have never used it
I put a floor in a tinny using multiprimer and waterproof contact adhesive. The floor is going strong 10 years later but the carpet needede to be reglued a few years back

Cheers

Neil