PDA

View Full Version : pollution or not?

mik01
11-04-2008, 09:15 PM
this may be a silly question but here goes...

few weeks back we were on a friend's boat with my father in law. had a couple of sandwiches (tuna) and the FIL wanted to throw the tuna tin overboard.

I objected, saying it was rubbish and therefore pollution. he argued that he was told it made a good 'hidey hole' for fish etc (ie - mini structure) and that because it wouldn't rust what was the harm?

I still objected and he never threw it over.

was I wrong or right?

Hamish73
11-04-2008, 09:52 PM
definately pollution.
I guess we cant talk as fisherman, how many tonnes of lead have we dumped on the ocean floor:-[

tunaticer
11-04-2008, 09:54 PM
You were right, it is pollution. Even artificial reefs are pollution in an aggregated and managed form. Everything that isnt toxic that is duped in the sea eventually will become colonised yet who would want an acre of tuna cans as an arti?

Jack.

Lucky_Phill
11-04-2008, 10:07 PM
out of sight out of mind..... just have a chat to any scuba divers that swim at the Tangalooma Wrecks... that place is a rubbish dump, but only can be seen from underwater.

We all have our personal views on what is pollution/ rubbish and what is not. Like throwing an apple core out the car window... the ants will eat it !!!

Yes, we do leave a lot of lead in the sand.... I know, my mate the scuba diver supplies me with enough old sinkers from the depths to last me a lifetime or 2. I just re-melt them and turn them into my style of sinkers or those " Lucky Slugs "....

Phill

SeaHunt
11-04-2008, 10:16 PM
You were right, it is pollution. Even artificial reefs are pollution in an aggregated and managed form. Everything that isnt toxic that is duped in the sea eventually will become colonised yet who would want an acre of tuna cans as an arti?

Jack.

If it holds fish, why not.
If they like it who am I to complain:-/
In 10 years time it would be that overgrown with weed/coral you wouldn't know what was underneath it.

Simmo2
11-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Good debate Mik,
I would err on the side of pollution.
But then again people dont just throw down new coral hidies for liddle fish either...

CreelReaper
12-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey Mik01
Don't ever think a question is silly....I could almost guarantee that we have all had them at one point. I think that when you look at it we as humans decide what is acceptable and what is not. Is it pollution???? Yes it is but so is being there. The fumes/exhaust from the boat - fuel and oil, the exhaust from the car towing are both pullution. We do things in our homes and in our workplaces that create pollution and some of that ends up in our waterways. I suppose it all comes down to what and how we feel is 'our contribution to the whole problem. What gets up my nose is the goody 2 shoes out there that rant and rave and condemn all for polluting but at the end of the day we ALL do it in one way or another. Look at the tree hugging fraternity, didn't they drive their beat up combie to whereever they are protesting????? .....just my thoughts of course.

Shane

Nic
12-04-2008, 11:22 AM
You were right to object Mik01, it's littering. Imagine if the whole sea floor was covered with a drifting, amorphous layer of rusty cans... sounds like a pretty sub-standard arti to me. Can't see it helping the fish any.

If your mate has a carefully cleaned naval destroyer he wants to scuttle, that's a different story!

RayDeR
12-04-2008, 08:43 PM
G'day!

I woulkd think that we all acknowledge things we do result in pollution but the main thing is to minimize pollution by our deliberate choices.

I would think your tuna can is steel and would soon rust away. However, it is also able to be recycled and that would be a better choice.

Ray De R