PDA

View Full Version : Ok to tow a 8" fglass tender at planing speed?

fender22
11-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi, I have a 19' half cab with a 135hp on the back. I was wondering if it was ok to tow a small tender at planing speed. Nothing silly but around 30knts. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance>

TheRealAndy
11-04-2008, 06:50 PM
You probably could if you got it placed in a calm spot in your wake, but it begs the question, why would you tow a tender behind a boat that size?

boogsboat
11-04-2008, 07:05 PM
We use to tow a tri hull 8 foot tender behind a 30 foot mariner. I had a 30 foot length of rope that allowed us to set the tender in the right spot were it sat without swerving. Trial and error until its right. Different conditions different lengths.

Good Luck

Nathan.

on-one
11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
We used to tow a dinghy behing a planning hull, it can be done but it's a hassle. It may sound obvious but make sure you take everything out of the dinghy (oars, anchor, yabby pump) as they'll go overboard if you hit a big wake and use a long line as others suggested, it's also useful to put floats on the tow rope so there's less chance of getting it tangled in the prop when you stop.

Chimo
12-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Hi Fender

I do it too sometimes.

I use a short line, 3m, "d"ed off the tender bow eye (that you would winch it it onto a trailer with) with a float and a pulley block at the end. Thru the pulley block I run a long 10mm line that I attach one end to the port rear cleat and the other to the stbd rear cleat. Instant bridle!

When travelling slow keep the line short for better control and as speed increases let it out to get the tender into the sweet spot in the wake and tie off the line on the rear cleat to suit.

I also hang a 2.3 HP on the rear of the cutting board on the Vag and agree with the comment above about emptying everything out of the tender when towing.

Have fun!

Cheers
Chimo

fender22
12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Reason I need, or probably more to the point want a tender is because my boat has a full cabin (beleive it or not and we stay on board as a weekender. A lot easier to anchor up and go ashore by tender, infact some places you can't pull the boat ashore and if you do and the tides going out...The other thing was I like drift fishing and a bit hard in my boat, particularly over shallower water. I thought it would be great to have a little rower for drifting for lizards.

Fish Guts
12-04-2008, 10:44 AM
certainly can be done mate. cant beat having a tender on those sort of trips. nothing worse than swimming ashore all the time.

on-one
12-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Have you thought about an inflatable? They're a lot cheaper now than they used to be and much easier to drag into the cockpit or on to a hardtop (and are less likely to damage your boat) if the weather turns and you want to bugger off in a hurry.

Chimo
12-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I have a small inflatable as per on-one if you want to make an offer, I found the tinny to be much more stable and rock resistant cf to the inflatable tho.

Chimo

fender22
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks heap mate but I had a little inflatable. I always thought they were pretty useless and then I got one and confirmed it! I'm a pretty big bloke and it was a pretty small inflatable, my missus sat on the bank p$$ing herself laughing while I tried it out in the creek. Went straight home and put it on ebay haha