PDA

View Full Version : braid for pflueger trion

dreemon
11-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Hello to all, i just bought a pfluger trion 66 on ebay, ( should be here today) but just want to know what size braid would suit it best over all, would like to catch my first of hopefully a few mangrove jack on the gold coast, more looking at a line that will give us the least birdsnests, i'll be casting at night lookin for them, well... after my broken collarbone heals ........ thank s johnny

Roo
11-04-2008, 10:19 AM
If this is the round baitcaster model 66, i had 20lb platil hotfiber on mine for a while......then changed to 50lb tuffline XP for barra......now has 15lb penn mono and lives in the cupboard till the day i decide to take up baitfishing again. nothing wrong with the reel, just a bit heavy for lots of casting.

cheers Roo.

dreemon
11-04-2008, 01:30 PM
thanks Roo. how was it for any of the briads on casting for over runs?, or which line did you like best on it, and yes it's the round one but dont think it'll come in the mail today , thanks... johnny

Roo
11-04-2008, 02:52 PM
either one was fine, mind you i was throwing barra lures, so most were pretty heavy, so easy to get a respectable casting distance with out trying too hard. i wouldn't recomend fused types like fireline, get a real braided line.
Get one of your intended lures and pull the trebles off and go down to the park and play around with it. i found the casting brakes worked best for me with 4 of the 6 engaged and then i would have the spool tension done so that the lure would drop to the ground and when it stopped the spool would too. you can make minor adjustments from there. the castng brakes are a pain to adjust as you need to remove the handle side (2 thumbscrews) and pull the spool out to get to them. You can get away with only 3 brakes engaged if your good at it but when the wind comes up you'll need to adjust them again....pain in the butt, so i just stuck with 4. make sure you have the spool engaged (not in freespool) when you pull the sideplate off.

Cheers Roo

dreemon
11-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the tips roo, do you recon they brake to hard ? I migh try some 30 lb braid off an older shimano bait runner thats run down, and save a little $, seems every time i break myself, i end up on ebay, online, and the phone to spend more on boat and gear, the misses does everything to help me heal just to get me back to work and stop the spending, but she did cast a line out for me and reel it in today , and brings me beer, wish she could surf for me.... shes good, talk to ya later J B.

Rockfish
13-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Mate,

You've prob heard a lot about the available braids already, however, i would recommend sticking with a true braid/PE like Nitlon. Very good casting, limp and tie's great knot that are strong. Great high abrasion resistance to boot. Overall far better than Fins, spiderwire, power pro, DONT even think about Fireline on the baitcaster in heavy lines ie above 12lb.

Hope this helps
Rockfish