PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude E-Techs

mnorl2
10-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm interested to hear any feedback about the running of E-tech motors (particularly the head gasket),as a I am thinking of a 115 for a 6m open boat.

John_R
11-04-2008, 05:27 AM
They are "E-TEC". there is no shortage of e-tec threads. Do a search.

Noelm
11-04-2008, 08:28 AM
why would you be concerned with the Head Gasket?

business class
11-04-2008, 11:20 AM
You might want to go a bit bigger then a 115 for a six metre boat mate. And for JohnR there is no need for responses like Quote ( they are E-TEC then say do a search) he is a new member and probably is not sure on what to do on the site, so if you can't help him out then dont reply.

Matty

FNQCairns
11-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Glass, plate or pressed 6m boat? and what have you heard regarding the headgaskets that would prompt the post??

cheers fnq

Noelm
11-04-2008, 11:46 AM
that was my thoughts as well FNQ there must have been something written about every possible "fault" with them, (real or other wise) at some time or other, but I don't remember any about head gaskets (this may be the first though)

mnorl2
11-04-2008, 12:16 PM
They are "E-TEC". there is no shortage of e-tec threads. Do a search.

Thanks I've found some helpful threads

mnorl2
11-04-2008, 12:23 PM
You might want to go a bit bigger then a 115 for a six metre boat mate. And for JohnR there is no need for responses like Quote ( they are E-TEC then say do a search) he is a new member and probably is not sure on what to do on the site, so if you can help him out then dont reply.

Matty

Thanks, Most guys up here in the Torres Straits fit 90s to there 6m glass, but I'm looking at a 115 as the hull is rated to a max 125 and the 115 fits my budget. And yes I am a new member and appreciate the good will.

mnorl2
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
why would you be concerned with the Head Gasket?

The reason I ask is I heard a story from my mechanic about his mate who is a cray fisherman out further in the T.S. islands. This fella blew the head gasket on his 90 E -TEC while it was under warranty.

Now in the end I believe the bloke was satisfied with a quick response by the dealer, but the comment was made that this was not an isolated problem. I have never heard of any such problem and I have asked around up here. Now I don't know... but I wan't to check with other E-TEC owners who may have similar experiences.
T
his is NOT AN EVINRUDE E-TEC BEAT UP. In fact the E - TEC seems a very good option right now for me, up here.

Noelm
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
sorry if we seemed a tad "suspicious" but there has been a dozen threads that start out as just a seemingly easy question, but soon fall into 4 pages of drivel and insults, to the best of my knowledge, there is not a recurring problem with Head Gaskets (yet) good to see your friend has had good Service from the Dealer, if you are going to use them as well, then the Etec would be a good choice.

STUIE63
11-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah mate get a motor with a good dealer to look after you . they are all good
and welcome to ausfish
Stuie

Chimo
11-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi M 12

The 115 is a V4 4 cylinder whereas the 90HP is a 3 pot machine and shares its block with the 75HP

The 115 V4 is basically the same as the pre Etecs except for the fuel system which is now DI vs carby on the pre Ficht models

I have a couple of the old carby units and according to my outboard tech they; the 115; is probably one of the best units around. To avoid arguments lets say "better" units.

I had hassels with one head on one motor getting hotter (but only at WOT) than it should have and it took a long time to identify and then a very short time to fix it. The issue was one of the rubber housings into which the thermostats sit was smaller than the other side so the thermostat sat out further so the spring pressure on it was greater so the thermostat didnt slide out as easily as the other side which meant that most of the cooling flow went to the other side at WOT. Not really much of a problem except it annoyed me till i worked it out.

Solution essentially make holes for thermostats the same size and I also shortened the springs ( on both motors) by one coil so they have less pressure on the thermostats so second stage cooling comes in easier.

The other issue I had within 10 hrs of each other on both motors and was the spring on one side of the fuel pump diaphram let go so the motors would not run at higher than fast idle due to shortage of fuel. Probably is a differnt system now so may not be relevant.

If 115 HP is what you need for your boat and you have good BRP service people where you are then go for it. Otherwise go for the motor you can get serviced by a tech you trust.

Cheers
Chimo

mnorl2
11-04-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm in the process of up grading from a 4.55 poly to a 6m glass. The hull is rated to 125hp max but the 115 suits by budget better.

John_R
12-04-2008, 04:48 AM
You might want to go a bit bigger then a 115 for a six metre boat mate. And for JohnR there is no need for responses like Quote ( they are E-TEC then say do a search) he is a new member and probably is not sure on what to do on the site, so if you can't help him out then dont reply.

Matty

I could see he is a new member and may not be aware of the search function. I was helping him you buffoon.