PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Lord Howe 2010

BrewGuru
10-04-2008, 09:04 PM
An exciting trip, I am looking forward too.

THE CREW:
ME
had boats all my life, but never anything like the Waiben.
I am booked in at Coastguard Redcliffe this weekend to do my MROCP course.
I also have in the pipeline 2009 to do the RYA power coastal cruiser course,
I can Cook and I can fish.

GREG,
Experienced blue water guy, good Diesel mechanical knowlede, cooks the best Sunday night roast and best bubble and squeak on the Monday morning.
Good guy on the watch and extremally reliable.

Len:
great for a laugh, good on watches, great learner and embraces the vessel, very safety conciesous, also holds a MROCP licenec
I got room for one more, what attributes am I looking for?

sleepygreg
10-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Will have to catch up with you at the MROCP course on saturday, I am booked in as well! Sounds like a trip to look forward to!

Cheers

Greg

Noelm
11-04-2008, 08:31 AM
probably one other thing you will need and that would be ME!!!

NAGG
11-04-2008, 10:25 AM
What a great destination :P
Its right up there with the best of them IMO ........ Hopefully you get to tangle with the resident kingies or the YFT & Wahoo off the South West Banks.8-)

Nagg

Fish Guts
11-04-2008, 01:09 PM
the only ingredient your missing is about 20 cartons of beer

Joe-90
11-04-2008, 02:04 PM
I'd suggest someone with a bit of refrigeration/electrical know-how to take with you that can fish.

Noelm
11-04-2008, 02:35 PM
where are you leaving from and how long are you going for?, It is a good trip over there, a few Yachties do that when they do a trip from down South, sort of make a big dogleg out of the trip, whats the specs for the Boat?

BrewGuru
16-04-2008, 08:12 PM
leaving from Brisbane/Scarborough plan to take 4 days getting their including a stopover at middleton reef and elizabeth reef the to Lord Howe in about July/August spend a 3/4 days on the Island then scoot on 24/7 watch 4/5 guys doing 3/4 hour wtaches.
Boat specs
46' long 1949 Norman Wright 23 tonne Pilot cutter refurbished, 120HP Ford Lees Diesel, good honest 8 knots, depending on wind and current range is between 6 knots and 10 knots, Glycol refridgeration system that feeds a day fridge, snap freezer when required, 500litre fridge freezer system as well as a eutectic 12 volt 200 litre fridge/freezer on deck and a Waeco 60 litre 12 Volt fridge freezer, state of the art gel matt battery system, 60amp battery charger and 4 solar panels suplying 60 amps max.
Lowrance 32NM radar (new) Lowrance Gps Plotter (new) 2 x hand held Garmin GPS plotters as well as the old green screen, valve operated GPS plotter, 27mgz, UHF and HF radio, gas fired gimbled stove/oven, on deck gas BBQ, stabilisers fitted, sea anchor/drouge.
2000litres fuel,1000 litres water, deck hose, Enclosed head and shower at deck level, 8 forward bunks (new innerspring matteresses) galley seating converts to 2 extra bunks. LCD TV, mp3 player, cd, dvd player.
Should do the trick I reckon!

Noelm
17-04-2008, 08:14 AM
yep, sounds OK, even though it seems like a very long way, you will be surprised how quick you cover ground at a steady rate, I recently (last year) bought a Charter Boat back from the Whitsundays to Sydney, and under Motor we could just manage about 4 to 5 knots, it seems like you are not moving, but when you have comforts and are sitting about talking and reading or watching TV (as well as keeping watch) the Miles just sort of slip by, especially if you do not have any nearby Landmarks to take a fix on.

Noelm
17-04-2008, 08:15 AM
OH and another thing, you will also be very surprised how much Water you use, so keep an eye on it.