PDA

View Full Version : Can I tow a beginner skier with a 60hp 4 stroke

AusSpin
10-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm about to make up my mind on a outboard for my new 4.8 glass boat and a 60 4 stroke should suit it fine. My kids are at me for them to try skiing so it would only be beginners stuff as well as tubing. Just curious if anyone has towed a skiier with this size motor or am I kidding myself!:-/

Fish Guts
10-04-2008, 08:26 PM
what sort of boat is it ?

Spaniard_King
10-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Don't think the 4.8 glass boat/60 4 stroke would be a good ski combo. I have recently been in a 4.6m trailcraft with 60 4 stroke and I am sure that boat would not pull a skier too well.

Gunna need a 90 minimum to pull a skier.. especially a beginner

shano
10-04-2008, 09:12 PM
i had a 15ft mustang wit 60 hp jonno 2 stroker! i used that for pilling a ski and a tube! did it well! pulled the brother up with no probs! (88kgs) just trim the motor right ! it will pull your kids up no problems at all!

Jock The Rock
10-04-2008, 09:27 PM
i got a 15hp fourstroke on a 3.6m tinnie and i got a wakeboarder out of the water it stuggled but once it was up it was good dunno if this helps anyone.

also tows a biscuit real well if the person in the biscuit is under bout 90kg

Jock

Steve B
10-04-2008, 09:30 PM
As long as its not and ETEC!!!;););D

BM
10-04-2008, 09:32 PM
In the 60's Mercury proved that a 10ft Savage tinny, with a 4hp outboard could deep start a skier on trick skis. This is a fact....

Cheers

Steve B
10-04-2008, 09:39 PM
In the 60's Mercury proved that a 10ft Savage tinny, with a 4hp outboard could deep start a skier on trick skis. This is a fact....

Cheers

Thats the standard and quality you expect from a Merc.!!!!! All seriousness, thats an awesome effort from a 4hp.!!!!

johnny roger
10-04-2008, 09:47 PM
i got a 15hp fourstroke on a 3.6m tinnie and i got a wakeboarder out of the water it stuggled but once it was up it was good dunno if this helps anyone.

also tows a biscuit real well if the person in the biscuit is under bout 90kg

Jock

Jock,
you may be the person i have been looking for. i have been asking if the handles at the back of the transom would be able to handle pulling knee boards, tubes etc. i see on your avatar that you those handles on your transom. how are they? they don't bend or anything? or the welds aren't beginning to crack?

John

SummerTrance
10-04-2008, 10:13 PM
I have a 4.95 aluminium boat with a johnson 70hp 4stroke. It pulls a tube no worrys, and is just enough to pull a 90kg person up on a wakeboard. But a bit more power would make it easier for them to get up.

BILLY THE KID
10-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm about to make up my mind on a outboard for my new 4.8 glass boat and a 60 4 stroke should suit it fine. My kids are at me for them to try skiing so it would only be beginners stuff as well as tubing. Just curious if anyone has towed a skiier with this size motor or am I kidding myself!:-/

does your boat insurance cover towing skiers ?? i would be checking that first ;)

BM
10-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Theres plenty of power there. Perhaps your setup is wrong or you need another prop for your application.

A few years back (yard stock) I ran a deep vee 15ft runabout with a 75hp Chrysler as a play boat. In a freshwater (less bouyant) lake we deep started a slalom skier with no problems at all. A tad slow on the lift (as opposed to say a 350chev skiboat) but certainly no issue at all. That was an 85kg skier and 200kg in the boat.

So, if your 4 banger on a light as shit tinny cannot pull an 85kg slalom skier with 200kg in the boat then I would suggest your engine simply does not have the torque that the Chrysler engine did.

Now, don't feel ashamed, since Chrysler Marine Corp held the record for hp per cubic inch per normally aspirated engine, weight, simplicit of design, performance..... Shit, they were simply the best engine on the water..... and I have PROVEN that......

Cheers

Jock The Rock
10-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Jock,
you may be the person i have been looking for. i have been asking if the handles at the back of the transom would be able to handle pulling knee boards, tubes etc. i see on your avatar that you those handles on your transom. how are they? they don't bend or anything? or the welds aren't beginning to crack?

John

yeh mate i got a bridle that just clips on each side of the boat with shackles or whatever u have.

my handles are fairly solid and havent moved at all, i tie my boat down with ratchet straps and get a fair bit of tension on them and they havent moved.

because my motor is only a 15hp the prop cavitates if i try to pull too much, but i dont reckon it would effect ur boat. im no expert but i reckon it would be right.

the only thing u have to watch if u are using a bridle is that the rope doesnt get caught round ur prop when ur reversing (luckily my motor just stalls) or get caught on ur motor when u are turning.

i went biscuiting with a bloke who had bout a 4.8m savage (i think) with a 75hp on the back. he had those little bollard things on the back of his boat and we had a biscuit hanging off each one and it didnt seem to affect them.

hope this helps mate

how long is ur boat btw? howmany hp?

matt fraser
10-04-2008, 11:22 PM
You shouldn't have any troubles with a 60hp!

A few weekends ago, I set up two ropes off the back of my handrails and pulled two boogie boarders around. Most of the time it was just kids, but I did pull one heavy adult and a midsize teenager at one stage with no worries.

That is with a 60hp Yammie 4 stroke on a 14 ft stessl edgetracker that is pretty decked out and has a lot of weight in it.

A few years ago when I still had the 50hp Yammie still on the edgetracker, I pulled my brother on two skis - 6'4" 80 kgs. I also had no trouble towing my cousin on one ski - but she is only about 50kgs.

That was with my barge prop, which I've also used on trips where I've had the boat fully loaded with camping gear, food, fuel etc for extended remote camping trips. Low pitch, larger diameter for heaps of torque.

Cheers,

Matt

johnny roger
11-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Jock,

At the moment have just bought a 20 year old 3.75M stessl. it came with a 18HP Tohatsu. My concern is the age of the boat, and the integrity of the tansom handles. Hence my 'quest' for a new boat. if you see all the threads i have started, they are orientated to buying a new boat. and as you can see by the threads, am a 'NEWBY'!

John

FNQCairns
11-04-2008, 08:59 AM
You will need prop it down say by 2 in pitch, this will give relative to before stump pulling power and pickup down low, the problem then becomes it may be a little too slow for when the beginner gets better at skiing or for top shelf fun with a tube.

cheers fnq

AusSpin
11-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your feed back. I'm getting a 4.8 Galeforce C.C. which run sweet with 60 4 strokes, even loaded up. I'll probably reprop and ad a sport foil for best performance. Do remember now seeing 12 ft tinnies pulling guys around on surfboards etc in the old days. Now the young blokes all drive Skeeters8-) so speed isn't a problem:D !!!!

Reel Nauti
11-04-2008, 11:47 AM
About 2 years ago on Myth Busters they decided to try pulling a skier up and out of the water and keep him up for a distance of 100m. Nothing fantastic about that, except that it was done behind a racing row boat with 8 rowers! Could it be done? Yep, it sure was!

Cheers

Dave

Scott nthQld
11-04-2008, 02:26 PM
shouldn't have any problem with that setup. I learnt to ski behind a 4.5m Cruisecraft with a 50hp 2 stroke merc on the back and it pulled me up fine and my dad used to get going behind it as well.

Jock The Rock
11-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Jock,

At the moment have just bought a 20 year old 3.75M stessl. it came with a 18HP Tohatsu. My concern is the age of the boat, and the integrity of the tansom handles. Hence my 'quest' for a new boat. if you see all the threads i have started, they are orientated to buying a new boat. and as you can see by the threads, am a 'NEWBY'!

John

i reckon it would be right if they are goin to break then they would probably have broken before. once ur on the plane there doesnt really seem to be much force on the rope

good luck in ur search for a boat mate

just be patient keep an eye out in the papers and so on i saved $700 by doin just that

Jock The Rock
11-04-2008, 06:15 PM
...Do remember now seeing 12 ft tinnies pulling guys around on surfboards etc in the old days....

i was doin that the other day actually real fun :)