PDA

View Full Version : Cape Moreton Wide

Whale Bone
10-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Me and my Dad are plannong to head to the Canyons off Cape Moreton for a troll with the heavy tackle. We have never fished this area before so if you could provide me with some generic GPS marks for the area it would be greatly appreciated.
Dougy

ooglie74
10-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Try this http://scgfc.com.au/images/Map.jpg

Cheers Troy

finding_time
10-04-2008, 10:53 PM
And dont be afraid to stay up in the shallows 190 to 240m i think you'll do better than the 300to 600m area!

Ian

jeffo
11-04-2008, 05:58 AM
thats a huge call ian! sure there is plenty of fish in the shallows, but IMo zig zagging the shelf is the best bet unless you find obvious signs in closer.

Here's a thought- what are the times of day when most people are predominately fishing the shallower stuff? They put there gear out there early on the way out in the morning and are there when they are heading for home in the arvo.....both are the best times of day to catch a blue marlin.

finding_time
11-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Jeffo

The yeare before last we seemed to get the shots all around that 200 to 270 ledge and last year a similar thing happened the 1 time i got wide ( bloody busy last year):-[ At the goldy it has been happing up on top at the riv grounds in around the 170-230 marks and we found that all our Tweed canyons shots have been up on top as well.

During our comp the first shot was in about 200m between the kink and the noosa canyons and our only deep water shot was at the canyons in something more than 600m Rob has also seen his action in the shallower water.

I'm not saying ignore the deeper stuff we always head out wider every trip but dont ignore the top of the drop either, but because we have seen our chances in the shallower stuff we probably spend more time in there, just prejudice i guess!!:P

Ian

Ps. Any advice you want to give btw i'm listening ;) you have got infinitely more experience than me!:D

Greg P
11-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Just follow Rob or Roota ::):P;D;D;D;D

Smithy
11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Doug,

what sort of electronic chart are you running? With Garmin Blue Charts or Visions and Navonics you have it made. The main canyons stand out like dogs you know whats. CMap is crappier but there are a few wiggles you can see but you need to be at the right zoom scale. Just look for the game boats and follow them around. Once you have done that just follow the Frigate Mackerel, Pilot Whales, Dolphins, Birds, showering Sauries or showering Flying Fish around.

Fish are where you find them!