PDA

View Full Version : Any other recipies for mud crab?

chewy01
10-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Does anyone have any good recipies for mud crab besides boiled/steamed and chilli.(otherwise i may have to relaese some back into the river);)
chewy.....

tunaticer
10-04-2008, 04:36 PM
If you crack and clean them in sea water and drain them, then submerge the parts in a brown sugar and water solution for ten minutes then drain them. Put them in a hot smoker for about ten minutes with some hickory or favorite wood chip flavour and serve them hot with cold beers and half a dozen cold king prawns per plate and you are feasting in heaven. Best camp side cooking you can get.

Jack.

chewy01
10-04-2008, 04:48 PM
thanks jack, when you say hot smoker do you mean like a nipper kipper?
chewy... im guessing you crack the claws?

Nic
10-04-2008, 05:10 PM
We love to make mud crab yellow curry... easiest way is to use one of those Asia At Home concentrates. Put a few tablespoonfuls into a big saucepan, add 2 cans of coconut milk, then a bit of sugar and fish sauce (the instructions are on the concentrate bottle). Taste it and adjust the heat with extra coconut milk or extra concentrate until it's at the level you want.

Then you just put in the cracked crab segments, cover the saucepan and simmer (you can flash fry the crab segments in the wok first if you want to speed things up a little). I HIGHLY recommend adding fresh kaffir lime leaves to the curry; it really makes this dish. Canned leaves are dreadful, although dried leaves might be OK.

So you don't end up with more sauce than you can eat, it's good to put chunks of a firm-fleshed fish (e.g. mackerel, amberjack) in with the crab. That way you can have crab curry the first night and fish curry the next night.

I would like to be able to say how long the crab takes to cook, but I tend to watch TV while I cook so I don't know!

chewy01
10-04-2008, 05:27 PM
thanks guys the crabs in my esky will be a little sad now coz i will give these a go in the next few days.

pommy
12-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Crab tart!

Savoury pastry pie base from Woolies.

Coat with beaten egg and bake till golden.

Fill with:
meat from 1 medium crab
2-3 beaten eggs
5 fl oz milk
2 heaped tbs grated parmesan
pinch cayenne, salt, pepper

All mixed together.

Bake in 180C oven for about 25-20 min or until set and golden.

Regards, Rob.
Ballina.

tunaticer
12-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah Chewy, crack the claws and break the body in two and hit them with the brown sugar and throw them in the nipper kipper tooooo easy and toooo bloody nice.

Jack.

martinies
12-04-2008, 10:39 PM
My other two favs are black pepper and ginger & shallot

Recipes should be around on the net ;D

fish-n-dive
14-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Found this after doing a quick google...........It sounds pretty good. 8-)

SMOKED CRAB STUFFED MUSHROOMS

1 pound large mushrooms
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons prepared Dijon style mustard
6 1/2 ounces crabmeat
1/4 cup chopped water chestnuts
2 tablespoons chopped pimento peppers
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Run up Smoker to 350-375. Remove stems from the mushrooms, retaining
the caps.

Chop the stems. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Brush the mushroom caps with melted butter. In the remaining butter, cook and stir the chopped mushroom stems and onions until tender.

Gradually mix the cream cheese and mustard into the saucepan. Continue stirring until smooth. Stir in the crabmeat, water chestnuts and pimentos. Heat until warm. Stuff the mushroom caps with the crabmeat mixture. Sprinkle the stuffed caps with Parmesan cheese.

In a shallow pan, smoke the caps tented with both end open at 350-375 for 15 to 20 minutes or
until hot.

tinniemad
14-04-2008, 07:04 PM
yum yum my mouth is watering now!